SOTD: Saturday January 7 - Friday 13 January 2023.

10/01/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Semogue SOC BTS Boar
Soap - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Razor - PILS 101 NE Std Matt
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
A/S - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Wk 02 (4).JPG
3 Passes for the Std finish "Thors hammer" fitted with a med prep today, A very nice shave.
The Lochranza has a slight darker note to me than the Machrie, i like both, however, the Lochranza takes the crown for me of the 2 Arran soap sets i have.
Nice that.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

10/01/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Semogue SOC BTS Boar
Soap - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Razor - PILS 101 NE Std Matt
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
A/S - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
View attachment 98726
3 Passes for the Std finish "Thors hammer" fitted with a med prep today, A very nice shave.
The Lochranza has a slight darker note to me than the Machrie, i like both, however, the Lochranza takes the crown for me of the 2 Arran soap sets i have.
Nice that.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
A lovely razor that's not seen all that often anymore, I can't wait to get my hands on mine again along with all my other razors that are tucked away in storage!

Paul.

Second shave with the 7 Days and on a high setting on the Fatboy it did a great shave, even though it'd been sitting around waiting for me since Xmas time.

Love the 3P! Very quick, thick cushion lather and a lovely almond and coconut scent that isn't overpowering or artificial. I can see this being a regular choice. I suppose I am paying for a lot of water as it is essentially a cream-soap hybrid, but it works and works well. I just wish it cost 3p :)

Finished with a generous slap of Sir Irisch Moos Irish moss balm. Lovely stuff with a strong pine and woody fragrance.

All these factors help to make up for some recent shaves.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Treet 7 Days Platinum
Brush: Semogue 1305
Lather: 3P
Aftershave: Sir Irisch Moos Aftershave Balm https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63bd6218718a6562eace6e8b

PXL_20230110_123212255~2.jpg

Well sorry guys but today I really cba to take a pic, but I will say this:

Razor still the Gillette Slim on #7.
Soap was Wickham Gothic Revival which I love
I used my Simpson Commodore best badger X3
The blade was still that Gillette 7 o'clock SP Black, from which I extracted 8 or 9 3-pass shaves!!!

I honestly don't know how I got so many uses from it. Was still leaving a smooth finish and didn't feel tuggy at all, but I did get a couple of weepers, which might have been technique but after that many runs I was looking for an excuse to bin it!

MvPU1MY.jpg

My forcibly "miscegenated" Williams/Cyril L. Salter hard soaps combo. Treet 7 day Plat (#1) and the ol' standby English BE Tech. AS is Son of Zeus by RazoRock.

Top shelf shave!! ;)(y)

Titanium part III. And on this occasion a shave themed, 'The way of the Jedi or welcome to the dark side?'

A journey of Nodachi vs Nodachi

20230109_185716.jpg

Light sabre - Tatara Titanium Nodachi
Heavy sabre - Tatara Nodachi dark
Luke Bladewalker - Polsilver Lodz
Darth brush - Wee Whiskey Barrel
Han Soapo - ADP Collezione Barbierre
'With must choose you your dark journey. Talk sense I do logical not order. Farmer'

Further fascinating facts about titanium. Discovered in Cornwall in 1791 by William Gregor, landscape artist, musician and consumer of pasties. It hence took over three centuries before it worked its way in to the world of razors. How they missed a trick there. It has a standard atomic weight of 47.867+/-0.001 (abridged).

This evening saw the lightweight Nodachi come in to play and being rather familiar with the full fat stainless version it gave me the opportunity to try one directly against the other. On this occasion light and flighty having the left side and the dark and heavy the right side. In general I find my left side shaves easier than my right so technically a slight advantage. It is nice knowing my ugliness has imbalance and not just my mind.

Lathering duties covered wonderfully by the ADP (a top soap if ever) and the very capable Whiskey Barrel brush. The ADP. Another God soap which it will be sad to see the bottom of the jar when that day arrives, and it joins the ranks of the unobtaniums.

First impressions. Again a superbly smooth delivery with a real sense of confidence being the order of the day. Like its stainless brethren one would be hard pushed to cause collateral. However the one thing I am surprised about, is how close the actual face feel is to the Masamune. Having never tried a Masamune until the other day I am taken aback by how close the two actually are. Still, a wonderfully shaved lefthand side of my face arrives in great comfort and no red stuff to upset my ugly unbalanced features even further.

'He ain't heavy he's my brother' sang The Hollies. In this case, yes he is. Switching over to the stainless dark, the first thing you notice is how damn light these titanium razors actually are. I would never say the Tatara's are heavy when you compare to say the Goose or a Rocnel, but bugger me this suddenly feels like a piece of lead in your hand. Throw in the longer handle and hey, a completely different set of dynamics enters the shave.

This change of dynamics is very evident and yet the geometry is exactly the same. There is a greater feeling of authority with the change to the stainless, a greater sense of control and yet in terms of face feel it feels no different. I am not so sure if this is because I am more au fait with the heavier stainless or if the longer handle (which I prefer) is having a say in matters. Whatever it is I feel more comfortable with the heavier brother. In terms of end result both razors are exactly the same despite the delivery being different. If I had to give a preference, I would take the stainless version. It just feels more, 'me'. If I had to take one of the titanium razors it would probably be the Masamune as I think life does need a mild razor in the mix and to be honest I don't see a massive difference between the two.

In passing although I do prefer the longer handle I must admit the Masamune handle is a damn sight prettier and it would be wonderful if Tatara simply made a longer version of the Masamune. Big hint.

However I look at this shave from a critical point of view what really matters is both gave stunningly close and comfortable shaves with smashing end results. I certainly can't say otherwise. It would come down to personal preference as to 'do you see the world as light and flighty or heavy and dynamic?'

Me, I am happy to join Darth Vader and the dark side. Fuck you Yoda and your lightweight dudes.

'Heavy man. Titanium lady. A bloody moustache?'

One more to go in the Nodachi open comb and will it surprise me or will it subdue me? One more to go in the titanium trials and you can be free of my torture.

Until then enjoy some Red Bacteria Vacuum. Loonies? May be....

Tuesday 10 January

Today’s choice is the Hawk silver satin + Captain Titan mild blade (4th use). Lathered up with Proraso and spread it like icing on a cake with my old bristle brush. I nearly binned this brush after I got in a job lot of stuff on the bay and was put off by its then appearance, scruffy bristles and smelled like a wet dog. However, it has now been broken in after a good soak so is really soft, pliable and smells of shaving soap. The Hawk is quite a light razor to use, so a bit more than average pressure is needed to get blade efficiently to stubble compared say to a more weighty razor. However, the result was another very acceptable shave after 2 passes and pick ups. No damage, no alum block. Completed my morning ablutions with the RR XxX shave balm.
Its still raining here, very windy, Noah‘s looking for a berth to moor up for the night.
Have an enjoyable evening fellas!

841E752C-CE19-487B-B0A0-4C2B97F0BB26.jpeg

Titanium part III. And on this occasion a shave themed, 'The way of the Jedi or welcome to the dark side?'

View attachment 98710

'With must choose you your dark journey. Talk sense I do logical not order. Farmer'

Further fascinating facts about titanium. Discovered in Cornwall in 1791 by William Gregor, landscape artist, musician and consumer of pasties. It hence took over three centuries before it worked its way in to the world of razors. How they missed a trick there. It has a standard atomic weight of 47.867+/-0.001 (abridged).

This evening saw the lightweight Nodachi come in to play and being rather familiar with the full fat stainless version it gave me the opportunity to try one directly against the other. On this occasion light and flighty having the left side and the dark and heavy the right side. In general I find my left side shaves easier than my right so technically a slight advantage. It is nice knowing my ugliness has imbalance and not just my mind.

Lathering duties covered wonderfully by the ADP (a top soap if ever) and the very capable Whiskey Barrel brush. The ADP. Another God soap which it will be sad to see the bottom of the jar when that day arrives, and it joins the ranks of the unobtaniums.

First impressions. Again a superbly smooth delivery with a real sense of confidence being the order of the day. Like its stainless brethren one would be hard pushed to cause collateral. However the one thing I am surprised about, is how close the actual face feel is to the Masamune. Having never tried a Masamune until the other day I am taken aback by how close the two actually are. Still, a wonderfully shaved lefthand side of my face arrives in great comfort and no red stuff to upset my ugly unbalanced features even further.

'He ain't heavy he's my brother' sang The Hollies. In this case, yes he is. Switching over to the stainless dark, the first thing you notice is how damn light these titanium razors actually are. I would never say the Tatara's are heavy when you compare to say the Goose or a Rocnel, but bugger me this suddenly feels like a piece of lead in your hand. Throw in the longer handle and hey, a completely different set of dynamics enters the shave.

This change of dynamics is very evident and yet the geometry is exactly the same. There is a greater feeling of authority with the change to the stainless, a greater sense of control and yet in terms of face feel it feels no different. I am not so sure if this is because I am more au fait with the heavier stainless or if the longer handle (which I prefer) is having a say in matters. Whatever it is I feel more comfortable with the heavier brother. In terms of end result both razors are exactly the same despite the delivery being different. If I had to give a preference, I would take the stainless version. It just feels more, 'me'. If I had to take one of the titanium razors it would probably be the Masamune as I think life does need a mild razor in the mix and to be honest I don't see a massive difference between the two.

In passing although I do prefer the longer handle I must admit the Masamune handle is a damn sight prettier and it would be wonderful if Tatara simply made a longer version of the Masamune. Big hint.

However I look at this shave from a critical point of view what really matters is both gave stunningly close and comfortable shaves with smashing end results. I certainly can't say otherwise. It would come down to personal preference as to 'do you see the world as light and flighty or heavy and dynamic?'

Me, I am happy to join Darth Vader and the dark side. Fuck you Yoda and your lightweight dudes.

One more to go in the Nodachi open comb and will it surprise me or will it subdue me? One more to go in the titanium trials and you can be free of my torture.

I wouldn’t worry SF san, very few, if any, people have perfect left side-right side symmetrical faces and like you one side of my face shaves easier than the other, mind you I did think this was something to do with direction of facial hair growth, or maybe I’m a latent werewolf. Ah, the Hollies, what a brilliant group.

View attachment 98710

:ROFLMAO: Han Soapo.... FFS :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom