SOTD: Saturday 9th February - Friday 15th February 2019.

Thursday 14th February
Semogue 620 - Wild West Shaving Co. 'Bonnie & Clyde' - Ever Ready 1924 w/Rocnel Handle - Treet Super CS #5 - Alum - Quorum A/S - Dove Nourishing Cream
XMQWWMp.jpg

Thanks go to @Boru62 for gifting me this soap. The scent is described as leather, campfire & wild honey, and that's what I got. It's a soap I wouldn't normally choose, but was pleasantly surprised with the shave.

Doesn't the 1924 look good with that handle......

Thur 14th Feb.

Cyril Salter / Maseto ED 2 Band
L`Occitane Cade Soap
Personna S/S Injector SE
Personna S/S [ 3 ]
Jaguar Prestige A/S Lotion

I was rather miffed when I opened up the Pack with this NOS Razor Inside. I took out the blank and inserted a Schick Blade, and to my dismay found out that no matter how I tried it just would not Shave, even changed blades and still no go. In an effort to perk up my Supply SE I used a Personna Blade which in the past I have not liked , but found it was good. Inspired i though why not a Personna in a Personna. Today I have just completed my 3rd excellent Shave with this smart little Razor. I am glad that finally it has worked out for me with this Razor, as they are quite hard to come by and a bit expensive.

IMG_0367.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday's Shave
Tallow & Steel ‘Boreal'
AP Shave Co. Synbad 24mm
Ever Ready 1912
GEM coated #2
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Thursday Shave
Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
Envy Shave ‘8 Ball'
Ever Ready Jewel
GEM coated #3
Stirling ASB

Two very different shaves, switched the blade into the 1912 and used my most heavily scented soap [emoji268]the result a close but less smooth result than in the Jewel. The Wholly Kaw soap is now very faint off the puck but produces a wonderful lather.[emoji106]

SOD 14/02/2019

Well I picked up a lovely Gong Solinger 6/8th extra hollow from Fergiebilly earlier this week from BST as my first straight razor.

Had a couple of goals going into my first straight razor shave today.

1. If possible, no nicks or cuts.
2. Try to experience the proper angle at least once and try to remember the angle/feel.

In terms of set up/prep, today I went with:

Exfoliating face wash with hot water.
Vitos Pre-Shave
Wickhams 1912 Cashmere
Gong SR
Ikon Tech loaded with a Feather on its 5th save as back up/to finish off the shave.
Vitos aftershave
Wickhams 1912 aftershave balm unscented.

Went with a slow, one pass WTG shave.

Luckily, I managed to achieve both my goals.

I didn't go for the full shave with the straight, just did my easy areas of the side burns, cheeks and the fair side of my neck. Struggled to find the proper cutting angle at first, but when I did hit the proper angle occasionally, it gave me an incredibly close and smooth shave. In the areas that I did manage to find the angle, the Ikon Tech with the Feather failed to get any additional hair off.

When I did get the right angle with the straight, I found it was actually smoother than the Ikon Tech which I find to be very smooth and is my go to razor.

I can tell that its going to be a while before I can get a 'proper' shave out of the straight razor for the whole of my face and neck. However, I can also tell that the time/practice is going to be worth it.

Thursday 14 February 2019

PreShave: Warm water, from the tap
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled cream bowl
Razor: The Sledgehammer (Merkur 39C)
Blade Voskhod (2)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: none (work day)

Working through last year's blade acquisitions—tried the Voskhod yesterday and today. I found it very rough to shave with yesterday and tried again today. My opinion hasn't changed. So it's now out of the razor, and will use something else tomorrow.

While I won't get rid of the Voskhods, I'll tuck them away for another day. They're just not working for me right now. Perhaps with another razor (yet to be bought, though).

Back
Top Bottom