SOTD Saturday 9th December 2017 - Friday 15th December 2017

Sorry to hear of your poor shave Brian.

Have you tried the Astra SP with your razor?
I sampled many blades with the slim and found the Astra stood out from the crowd.

Obviously YMMV but it may be worth a try if you haven't done so already mate.

Take care,
Wayne. :)

Wayne,

Those blades are on my list to try.

Thing is - it was the SAME set up as last week, so hoping it was just a dodgy blade or my skin still being irritated as my shaves last week were so nice.

Let's see tomorrow - I maybe typing in RED

Brian

:D

087e18f7ed0c87b9355b78e62ea17a65.jpg

Gartbnx....

Monday 11th December
Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Speick Cream
The Brass General
Schick Proline P #10
Alum Wash
Rose of Bulgaria A/S
Neutrogena Comfort Balm
Q9q50hX.jpg

The Speick cream lathers like a dream and has a wonderful scent which is stronger than the stick. Talking of the stick, I bet I'm not the only one who wishes it was also available in cake form.

Last edited:
4086B5CB-0B91-4085-AFC5-8E1F6E0A227B.jpeg

6 days with the Merkur 45... Is that a record for me? :D

...Consistently good BBS result with it, zero irritation, easy to find angle - Potentially a perfect razor, if it weren't Bakelite. I actually enjoy the lightweight feel, in use it's like a sportscar where you can literally “ feel the road” at your fingertips, it makes heavyweight razors feel quite clumsy... I just wish it didn't feel quite so delicate but (that's) the tradeoff, perhaps aluminium isn't such a bad a bad idea after all.

SOTD: 111217
SOTD 111217 2.jpg
Blade: Astra SP #1
Razor: Parker Adjustable. #4.5 & #4 &#3
Soap: Truefit & Hill 1805
Brush: Razorock Aluminium Synth
EDT: Issey Myake L'Eau D'Issey

Its been a while since I picked up a DE razor so today I went for the Parker Adjustable. I let the considerable weight of the head do the work with the slightest of touches. It is a very audible razor and the knurling on the handle is superb. Set at #4.5 she is an aggressive beast but although I have slight irritation to my neck the razor performed superbly leaving me with a BBS 3 pass shave.

The brush has silky smooth tips and created a wonderful face lather using the extremely pleasant T&H.
This croap really has superb qualities. Lathers with ease and gives plenty of cushion. Post shave feel is excellent.

Finished with some witch hazel and a similar scent to the soap which is Issey Myake.

Enjoy your shaves! :)

Last edited:
Greetings All,

Monday shave.

One (and half) growth and warm shave

Preparation – Showered then face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: None
Soap: P&B Citra Royale
Razor: Gillette Thin Adjustable (Setting 6, 5 and 4)
Blade: Silver Star (2nd)
Brush: RazoRock 400 (face lather)

Post Shave: Hot then cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Cooling followed by Michael Kors EDT AS.

How comes, just how comes, one week a shave can be so smooth, effortless and irritation free and next week – SAME TOOLS (different soap, but it's P&B, so it cannot be the soap) – and it hurt like… well like I have been Tango'd by a High Being… not once, twice!!!! Maybe it was my attempt at using setting 7 on Saturday and my skin had not settled properly but damn, that shave was not nice.

6 WTG - Ouch, I felt the irritation starting
5 XTG - No better
4 ATG - I should not have attempted this, but it was the easiest pass

Terrible, terrible shave. I have dumped the blade and will endeavour to have a better experience tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brian

Evening Brian - if you want to try the Astra SP's - as suggested by - @Wayne Pritchard - then pm me. I've got a stack of them and they are not among my favourites. I'd happily pass some onto you to see if they help with this razor. Gratis. Everybody's beard is different but I have never felt the need to turn my Slim Aristocrat beyond 5.5 never mind 6 or 7. They are pretty aggressive at the upper settings? - I don't change the setting between passes - but many users do. Each to their own. Get in touch if you want to try the blades. Yours - I.

Back
Top Bottom