SOTD : Saturday 6th October - Friday 12th October 2018.

SOTD 20181012.

SLDzz5P.jpg

M Keramiek / APShaveCo SilkSmoke.
Musgo Real Lavender shaving cream (sample).
Vintage Gillette Old Type / Stork Ti "AN14" handle.
Shapu Super Stainless (1).
Wars Classic EdC.

Prep: Hot Shower, plus I borrowed the boss's exfoliation scrubber thingy.
Pre: Hot Flannel
Cream: OSP Fougere, face lathered
Brush: MÜHLE Vivo black fibre.
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: Polsilver (3)
Cologne: Dior Homme Sport (sample)

Well, my experiment with ATG the other day meant I didn't really need to shave until today, and I received my OSP cream this morning so decided to have a proper treat.

The scent of the OSP is beyond my descptive powers, other than there's a massive initial hit of cedar and cloves, then I got the patchouli and lavender, followed by the rest of the ingredients. It's amazingly stimulating and would make a fantastic job of waking you up in the morning!

The aroma made me want to face lather to get a nice big fragrance hit. So I did. I'm very impressed with this stuff, lovely lather and even after you've removed the foam with your first stroke there's still a lubricant layer left on the skin if you go back for a 2nd stroke, and a marble sized blob resulted in plenty of lather so I decided to go for a proper 3 pass shave for the first time, and there was an elegant surfeit of lather available to achieve this with no need to use more cream.

This resulted in possibly the smoothest shave I've had in years, since I was just removing bumfluff. No irritation like I would have got using a Mach 3. I'm starting to get the hang of the angles needed under the jaw, which I'm pleased about.

I like the Nivea balm, as it works well and the fragrance is very light so doesn't seem to affect the aroma of whatever scent I use after it has been absorbed.

Decided to give the Meissner a go today as I've been wanting to try it for over 2 years but never actually got around to buying any! Scent is "Lavender De Luxe" which to my nose is a 50/50 split between lavender and rose geranium essential oils, very pure, very high quality and an instantly recognisable scent to anyone who uses or whose partner uses Neal's Yard products, many of which come in this exact scent.

It's calming, very floral and perhaps quite feminine but I'm of the opinion it takes a real man to wear pink and smell of flowers ;) strength is around 5 or 6 out of the beautiful glass jar and increases a notch once lathered and on your face... It gave me a minor tingle, any more and I wouldn't stand for it but it was a very, very mild tingle which seemed to settle so I can live with that, it's no doubt due to the essential oil content.

I loaded the brush for 20 seconds and moved to the face, initial lather was very thin and bubbly but it quickly transformed with a little work and plenty of water into a very nice stable, thick and slick lather... It provided enough for 3 passes and I washed enough for a 4th down the sink. Lather quality was one of the best I have used, easily up there with Saponificio Varesino and Fitjar... I can think of no area I found it wanting.

I rate it:

sehrgut-logo200.jpg

:p

Prep: Hot Shower, plus I borrowed the boss's exfoliation scrubber thingy.
Pre: Hot Flannel
Cream: OSP Fougere, face lathered
Brush: MÜHLE Vivo black fibre.
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: Polsilver (3)
Cologne: Dior Homme Sport (sample)

Well, my experiment with ATG the other day meant I didn't really need to shave until today, and I received my OSP cream this morning so decided to have a proper treat.

The scent of the OSP is beyond my descptive powers, other than there's a massive initial hit of cedar and cloves, then I got the patchouli and lavender, followed by the rest of the ingredients. It's amazingly stimulating and would make a fantastic job of waking you up in the morning!

The aroma made me want to face lather to get a nice big fragrance hit. So I did. I'm very impressed with this stuff, lovely lather and even after you've removed the foam with your first stroke there's still a lubricant layer left on the skin if you go back for a 2nd stroke, and a marble sized blob resulted in plenty of lather so I decided to go for a proper 3 pass shave for the first time, and there was an elegant surfeit of lather available to achieve this with no need to use more cream.

This resulted in possibly the smoothest shave I've had in years, since I was just removing bumfluff. No irritation like I would have got using a Mach 3. I'm starting to get the hang of the angles needed under the jaw, which I'm pleased about.

I like the Nivea balm, as it works well and the fragrance is very light so doesn't seem to affect the aroma of whatever scent I use after it has been absorbed.

In fact, I liked it so much that I have just decided that it was time for my goatee to go...

1st time in about 3 years that I have been totally clean shaven, it feels properly weird! Also, I look weird, according to fruit of loin #2.

20181012_125802-02-01.jpeg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: M&F Brad Sears L7 Tigris Finest Badger
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna P74 Tungsten Steel (2)
Post: CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather EdC

After my first shave with the Dart and subsequent blood-letting with a Polsilver blade, I changed out to a vintage NOS Personna P74. The Tigris whipped up some lovely B&M lather, with the unique and exotic Cologne Russe scent.
Like first time out, I again focused on technique and zero pressure. The shaving experience was similar to my previous shave; this time a little smoother, and very efficient, with a lot of blade feel. I managed to tree-top a healing nick from the last shave, and give myself a fresh one while I was at it.
Three passes and a couple of buffs for a BBS result. The penalty was a couple of nicks as mentioned, and a slightly raw face feel. There was also mild irritation similar to the previous shave. The CRSW fixed things up nicely, and post shave feel was very good.
It seems that the Dart is, for my face, a little too aggressive.

Friday 12th October (a.m)

Heno de Pravia Glycerine Soap
Proraso Sandalwood Pre Shave Cream
RazoRock Puros Soap
Vie-Long handle in Olive Wood with an AP Shave Co Cashmere Knot
MÜHLE 1904 Style OC Razor with a 7 O'Clock Permasharp Blade
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Arko Classic Cream moisturiser
Brut Musk AS

A really nice shave this morning. For me the 7 O'Clock Greens are sharp enough and sooooo smooth.
3 passes for a Billiard Ball Smooth shave
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom