SOTD : Saturday 30th December 2017 - Friday 5th January 2018.

Tue 2nd Jan
Omega 11137 boar
Faena Sandalwood
ATT Se1
Schick Proline [ 11 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Lea A/S Balm

I have no problems with this ATT, as despite its weight it is a joy to use and it is very satisfying
to get what is an almost Barber Shop finish. I may have said the Canadian Schick E2 with an AC blade yields a similar finish, but the Shaving experiences are wholly different. Injector Shaving is
considered a bit too easy, while using a Heavyweight AC/SE requires a lot more care and good technique to avoid mishap, and a good Shave is very satisfying.

IMG_0168.jpg

27676431319_22a1a8f69a.jpg

First shave with a Gibbs Nº17 courtesy of @Blademonkey (thanks Paul.) Initial blade loading was fiddly but its easy once you get the hang of it, some pre-clipped Polsivers were supplied but I clipped a fresh Voskhod for this shave. Possibly the smoothest / most comfortable DE shave I've ever had but it did leave me with some irritation on my neck post shave which is rare... I'll try again tomorrow, maybe on a different setting (used "N" today.)

SOTD

Most of my kit is in 2 boxes as shelving unit has been taken down whilst doing my maps wall. So grabbed stuff from the top. 1st use of the Omega travel brush & Mama Bear Soap. Impressed with both. The brush will be going on holiday, was surprised it held enough soap for 3 passes. Soap was Uber slick. The Gillette Tech suits me perfectly & I get a great shave from it (Astra blade). MWF used as post Shave balm.

IMG_5287.JPG

SOTD 2nd Jan.JPG Tuesday 2nd January 2017
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Body Shop Maca Root face wash and Proraso White
Razor: iKon 101
Blade: Treet 7 Days Platinum (#1)
Brush: Vulfix 404
Soap: LEA stick
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel
AS: Bulldog original balm

Excellent shave from the Treet 7 Days blade, but I did manage one tiny weeper which is rare for me with the iKon 101.

OSP Barber Shop Soap
RazoRock 400
Rockwell 6C plate 4
Treet Durasharp (2)
Lime witch hazel mixture
Lynx Dark Temptation Aftershave

With and against passes eliminated all traces of prickly stubble with ease
I think this Treet blade is very close in smothness to the Astra SP, in this razor at least
I took a chance on today's aftershave being any good. I'm pleased to report it's doing a fine job, for the princely sum of £2.99 from Home Bargains.

Coincidentally, I saw some Creightons products in the same shop, Face wash, post shave and moisturiser. All for a couple of quid each.

Sotd - 2/1/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (4)
brush - Semogue 1305
soap - Williams Ice Menthol Spanish cream
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
blam - Myrsol Emulsion.

Result - fantastic I feel human again.

Taking off at least a week's growth. I hadn't grown it in by design more that I got sick on the 30th and tonight's shave is the longest I have been out of bed in the interim. Asleep by 9 o'clock on Hogmanay - I think this is actually a criminal offense in Scotland unless you are dead. So - a nice healthy restorative menthol shave to help the recovery process. Which it has no end - my nose isn't blocked any more that's for goddam sure. The one surprise was that the Proline was distinctly tuggy on the first pass - granted only under my lower lip - where my beard is the toughest. Maybe it was asking a lot of any blade with this amount of beard but it has been nothing other than silken in the Cobra up until now. Who knows. Anyway - albeit belatedly - I wish you all a very happy new year to you and yours - with my best regards - I.

Oh - I would like to second what @Blackmass said a few days ago in thanking those of you that take the time to post your shaves, pics, impressions, results and reviews on this thread. If ever I'm stuck for inspiration for a shave I look at others sotd posts. We are also blessed with having some very fine photographers in our midst. As Rob said - thank you all. Keep up the good work.

Sotd - 2/1/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (4)
brush - Semogue 1305
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
blam - Myrsol Emulsion.

Taking off at least a week's growth. I hadn't grown it in by design more that I got sick on the 30th and tonight's shave is the longest I have been out of bed in the interim. Asleep by 9 o'clock on Hogmanay - I think this is actually a criminal offense in Scotland unless you are dead. So - a nice healthy restorative menthol shave to help the recovery process. Which it has no end - my nose isn't blocked any more that's for goddam sure. The one surprise was that the Proline was distinctly tuggy on the first pass - granted only under my lower lip - where my beard is the toughest. Maybe it was asking a lot of any blade with this amount of beard but it has been nothing other than silken in the Cobra up until now. Who knows. Anyway - albeit belatedly - I wish you all a very happy new year to you and yours - with my best regards - I.

Oh - I would like to second what @Blackmass said a few days ago in thanking those of you that take the time to post your shaves, pics, impressions, results and reviews on this thread. If ever I'm stuck for inspiration for a shave I look at others sotd posts. We are also blessed with having some very fine photographers in our midst. As Rob said - thank you all. Keep up the good work.
Pleased you are feeling human again! :) P.

Sotd - 2/1/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (4)
brush - Semogue 1305
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
blam - Myrsol Emulsion.

Glad your alive mate. I didn't realise you were genuinely ill. Thought it was a serious case of ennui.

Sotd - 2/1/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (4)
brush - Semogue 1305
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
blam - Myrsol Emulsion.

Welcome back, Iain. The curative properties of mentholated shaving soap should be recognised by the NHS. Shaving off a week's worth of whiskers with the hardware and software of one's choice is one of life's pleasures. A happy new year to you and yours too.

Best,

Stephen

Date: 03 January 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Extra Density 2 Band Finest Badger 24/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat 2x
Bowl:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #2
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L'Homme

I didn't realised the GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip behave very much like an R41, because I still didn't have very much stubble on my face after nearly two days of growth......WOW :eek:
I still wanted to shave so bad today, I didn't want to wait until tomorrow otherwise I'll get bored waiting to remove my bloody stubble off my face on the third day.

Last edited:
Sotd - 2/1/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (4)
brush - Semogue 1305
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
blam - Myrsol Emulsion.

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better Iain. :cool::D
All the best for 2018.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Barrister & Mann Leviathan
Razor: UFO Goliath / Colonial General Head
Blade: Feather Pro (2)
Splash: Barrister & Mann Leviathan
EDT: Barrister & Mann Leviathan

A Goliath and several Leviathans in this shave, not to mention a General and a Castle. Sounds more like Game of bloody Thrones! Was a bit pushed for time, but I've learned the hard way not to skimp on the pre-shave, so I kept it to 2 passes.
The B&M soap performance was exceptional. The scent was stronger on the coffee than I expected, but really interesting.
The Feather Pro was much smoother second time out - not the slightest sign of claret.
Very close for just 2 passes and a few buffs - DFS+. Wonderful post-shave feel - I'm grinning from ear to ear :D.

Back
Top Bottom