PreShave: Warm to hot water, most from the boiled kettle some from the tap
Cream: DR Harris Lavender
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade Astra Platinum (3)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris Jermyn Street

A day off and a fine shave: another three pass BBS shave with the Futur, set at 6, 6, and 5.

Date:- 29 June 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Gratiot League Square
Razor/Blade:- Muhle R41 attach to iKon Bulldog / Polsilver Super Iridium #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

Mon 29th June

Stirling Syn. 26mm
Arko Stick -grated
Occams-Enoch
Kai Captain Titan Mild -Pink [ 1 ]
Tuff Red A/S Lotion

Though I really like the looks and feel of The Enoch, the Shaves though good have never been ultra close in all areas, always seems just a bit off. Today decided why not try one of my little used Kai Blades , resultant Shave not only smooth and comfortable but the finish was excellent in all areas. Will have a few more Shaves to confirm this Razor/Blade combo is good for me.

IMG_0839.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Paul.....I certainly would. The fibres for me are soft with enough backbone (less than the Chubby) and there is no glue bump. It's one of my favourite synthetics
Thank you, I've been looking for a sythetic brush and this looks like it could fit the bill. :) P.

Edit: Ordered! :) P.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

SOTD 29th June 2020

Razor - Paradigm SE
Blade - Schick Proline
Soap - Le Savon des Volcans
Brush - Alpha Outlaw V2 Ti Silvertip
Post - Thayers astringent
Frag - Panama 1924 edt - Boellis

A lovely shave using a soap I had not used for a while, a very good soap indeed, donkey milk with a light peppermint scent. I'm not sure if this soap is available any more though, another good soap bites the dust!

Untill the next time, stay safe, be lucky!

Paul.

Last edited:
29/06/20
Cold Water Shave
Brush: JR 291 Tuxedo Knot
Soap: Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor: Schick B2 Repeating Razor 1927-32
Blade: Unknown Vintage (1)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, Shower, Witch Hazel
Balm: Vintage Tabac Black
Aftershave: Tabac
3.JPG
I decided to try another of the original blades that came with the B2, it was a lot better, although, still not as smooth from the off as a new Personna.
i will run it a couple of times to see if it smooths out.
Another wonderful lather from this ancient cream, finishing with a nice Tabac post shave routine.
I have a little roughness just under the chin, down to my technique, but a great shave experience.
Stay safe and Enjoy your day All

A good start to the week , a 3 pass shave , nice and slow to a bbs finish.
Todays shave, after a warm shower.

Pre................Proraso white
Soap............Proraso green/ erasmic cream
Brush...........M&F ebonite finest
Bowl............3d printed
Razor .........Karve (c)
Blade .........Nacet 3
Post............Hot cold face rinse, alum
Asb ..............Nivea sensitive
Asl ................Hermes

Delighted with the Karve, and the Nacet combo afer a tricky start.
Enjoy your shave lads, stay safe :)

My next three shaves sorted ...

ACtC-3cNb_FI5SZCdK7rIZQ0Bw5CDCt9MyufeCY2NuCDKxdXPtuEhY7l_k-wlBekaAhUJOQEDvyvUTI90hc6rXo2NYHzbkm7d-QULE9UBTetCZLOCHK25jF_sFFkUBkZ22iwQaYilBn_ciNUDgsyYbw7FIZqQw=w1200

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with LEA Shaving Stick (Grated) & Asylum Brush Works w/Cashmere 24mm
Shave with Gillette Tech (1980s), Gillette Tech (1940s), Gillette New (1930s) & Shark Stainless
Witch Hazel as a skin toner and astringent afterwards ...

Much thanks to Chris @Boycie83 for the pack of Shark blades. I'll try them out in my benchmark Gillette Tech (a very late model, curiously with a slightly longer handle than other Techs of that vintage) and carry on through a couple of brassy (de-plated) razors that I've been wanting to try for a while.

This arrangement was put together by my helper Elias Quisiva ...

ACtC-3fydK8G7V17W_g0lGN6A52Fy4KWFouLtBEdDBHapRkHFCmpkHQM27FQWs3fB1CfntjWTtwsM1rm6XDl7OTAgtupFmR-pg5XQZYY_Jha5mKVXRoD2fW63a5pXQEK9o9ABM4uSKH1iSSNhmNT6agj5dDaEQ=w1200

Well, that was lovely!

Thanks again to Chris @Boycie83 for sending me a pack of these Shark blades. My principal interest in these initially was for the ROCNEL SE-P as I saw them available as half blades and I think my query has been answered: yes, I'll bag a little box of 100 for single edge use. If I fire up the ROCNEL SE-P in the meantime, I'll split one of these blades for a quick go.

When describing a blade we often drop straight into sharpness and smoothness, and perhaps post-shave feel. I like to consider the essence of the blade. So, for me, the Treet Platinum is consistent; the Treet Black Beauty, retro; Derby, legacy. What's this blade, then?

Comfortable and forgiving.

I'm a pusher. I inevitably end up using too much pressure and often find myself vocally suggesting to myself that I back off a little. Often we get just a little warning, or worse, a little bite when we press too hard. With this Shark, I could be quite lazy. It shaved well, comfortably and didn't feel the need to bite me when I paid it no heed.

But where does it stand amongst its peers?

Well, I think it's akin to SuperMax Blue Diamond or Treet Silver (which is actually a carbon blade, but more treated (treeted?) than the DuraSharp to feel much more like a Stainless). In fact, next shave I'll use a Blue Diamond to compare on roll straight on into a EuroMax after that, which is reputed to be SuperMax under a new brand. The Shark is a real middle of the road blade. It shaves, it shaves well. It's not especially sharp and not noticeably smooth, but it is ... a nice middle of the road blade.

Again, lovely! I really enjoyed this shave in my benchmark Gillette Tech (a late model, 1980s perhaps) and tomorrow, I'll try it in something a little more aggresive: a brassy 1940s flat bottom Gillette Tech; then, a 1930s Gillette New.

Monday AM 2020-06-29

Rooney 3/3 Ebony Finest (26/66)
Dusy Kabinett shaving soap
Gillette New LC/UFO U2
Polsilver Super Iridium (6)
Ginger's Garden Rose Petals aftershave

The soap was a sample from a fellow shaver, and I found it nearly impossible to lather in the awkward shaped chunk, so I actually ended up using some Coate's cream. I am going to grate the soap and press it into the bowl to see if that makes it easier to use. And this was made worse by the fact that my brush has developed a shedding problem - the only one of my Finests ever to do so. So I guess I'm going to trade it away to someone who doesn't mind it losing hairs. Not a great shave, but tomorrow is a new day.
6CeLqL7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom