SOTD : Saturday 27th - Friday 2nd August 2019

Saturday SOTD

Palmolive Stick
YaqI 24mm Tuxedo Marble Handle
Timeless 0.68 SS Scalloped
GSB (3)
Boots Freshwood ASB

While face latherIng I got distracted and dipped more than just the tips of the brush and thought I might have ruined the lather. I was wrong - it soon took on the extra water and kept it's thick creamy consistency.
A fine shave was had, and BBS finish achieved.
The Timeless GSB combo has performed faultlessly three shaves in a row.
It's long barber pole handle is a little too long and heavy for my taste, but using the lightest of touches I get consistently good shaves with it.
Finished with Boots Freshwood Balm - a non fussy way to end a fuss free shave

Last edited:
Sunday 28th July

Pears Glycerine Soap
Alvarez Gómez Agua de Colonia Concentrada Shaving Cream
Vie-Long/AP Shave 24mm Cashmere Brush
Baili BT31 'Tech' with a Gillette/Wilkinson Blade
Witch Hazel
Heno de Pravia Moisturiser
Alvarez Gómez Agua de Colonia Concentrada

A fantastic Sunday Shave on a beautiful Summer Morning. The GWS blades never fail to deliver a smooth and close shave for me.
3 passes for a Face Feeling Finish:)

Continuing my trials of Personna blades thanks to the generosity of @Blademonkey and @RussellR5555. The Med Prep was superb in the Karve. How comes I have never used these blades before?
Based on the favourable reports I have seen....I have just received 100 of these and I need more DE blades like 'a hole in the head'. I am trying to decide when to try them out.Hopefully they will live up to the hype!

28/07/19
Pre shave Prep: Pears Original Transparent
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Soap: TOBS Rose Cream Sample
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Bay Rum Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Escentrics Molecules #01

P7280001.JPG

Lots of samples to use up this week, all just thrown in the wash bag, some of the AS samples are blanks as I have had them for years. 1st up the TOBS Rose soap, it lathered well and has plenty of scent, just too flowery for me (I know! :censored: ). It gave a nice post shave slickness to the face.
A cautious shave today with the Dart, trying to find a comfortable shaving angle, fitted with a new Voskhod it still seemed to give signals that it could bite at any time, therefore simple, short strokes were used, I find I did not need to steepen the angle, more so, open it up a touch, the 2nd and 3rd pass were OK and the blade began to smooth out, I still find it gives a lot of "Blade feel". It is very well balanced and has a lovely weight in the hand, But NO PRESSURE at all required;), a real lather only remover.
So a BBS, no issue shave, although I did take my time.
A nice post shave routine with nothing from the Block, these new ones I bought are big and easy to handle - well worth the discounted price I paid.
My Sample of Bart's Lime Balm now used up and still a bit left in the Lotion.
A splash of Escentric Molecules #01 Aftershave, surprisingly nice, woody scent and it seems to have added oil which also nourishes the face. So BBS and ready for the day, I will miss the Mothership visit today :(
Have a great Sunday All.

Last edited:
28/07/19

Razor: Fine Marvel
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow) (2)
Brush: Duke 2 Best
Soap: Figaro Monsieur Gold
Pre: Proraso Green
ASB: LEA
ASL: Brut

Fotor_156430652679370_compress45.jpg

A much better shave today. Despite the initial shock from the Brut, I've got zero irritation. Most of my face is wonderfully smooth but there's an annoying patch I've missed on the underside of my jaw. Not visible but I know it's there. Shame as my usual trouble spots are slick!

Based on the favourable reports I have seen....I have just received 100 of these and I need more DE blades like 'a hole in the head'. I am trying to decide when to try them out.Hopefully they will live up to the hype!

+1, I've also ordered . Didn't need more blades,'want and need' are two different things though.

Last edited:
SOTD 20190728.

y9ZQzHD.jpg

J&T® katalox / OUMO Brush imitation silvertip synth.
Razor Master "Erin" shaving soap.
Vintage Souplex / Stork Ti "Classic" handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (6).
Rebul "Lavanda" EdC.

28/7/19

Soap - Vitos Red & Green
Brush - Zenith Euro X
Razor - Yaqi Cobbed
Blade - Treet 7 Days (8)/Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated

Last week's SOTD's I used Proraso Green for the entire duration, and using one soap for a week solid opposed to changing soap every day brought a lot of benefits for creating lathers so I think it might be something I will stick with and for this week's shave I decided to go for Vitos, one of my favourite soaps.

I shaved pretty late in the day yesterday, and didn't have much need to shave this morning but I still went ahead with the shave and pretty much regretted it straight away. The combination of blade and razor wasn't a great one, my cheeks felt like they were on fire, the blade had more the enough in the tank for sharpness but was incredibly rough, I changed the blade after a few strokes for a GWS but I'd probably done the damage by then.

The lather today was a much better one than yesterday, I loaded up far too much soap and ended up mashing my brush a bit too much and lost a lot of bristles. Managed to get the loading right and no bristles lost.

Not the best shave all in all, but it happens. Hopefully I can put the mistakes behind me for the remaining shaves of the week....

Back
Top Bottom