SOTD: Saturday 26 August - Friday 1 September 2023.

Friday 1st September
I do like a bit of gold bling. So thanks to Ian @Greybeard for the Merkur 34G I used this morning. I continued with a Merkur blade but, whilst ok, its 5th use showed it was definitely on the way out. The 34G is a relatively mild razor so for best performance it demands the sharpest blade which definitely this wasn’t. However, I don’t need to shave down to the bone every day and so try to mix up mild and aggressive razors accordingly.
Spalted beach hand made synthetic brush and ToBS soap completed the shave team and a dash of Tabac after shave balm sent me out happy and content for an early game of golf.
Have a great evening fellas!

View attachment 110722
Nice looking razor!;):)

After a few terrible to fairly poor shaves, a switch of razor, soaps etc etc and still below par, I gave up and went back to the trusted "whatever I put my hand on first" selection method:

Fatip Limited OC
Wilkinson Sword (New type)
Old Arko stick (quick wash preshave)
BandM Oceana (preciously blamed for a rubbish shave....)
Oumo Manchurian Badger Brush
Body shop Aloe aftershave balm

Hasn't used the OC in a while, so needed a bit of care to get going again, overall no complaints and as good as any shaves lately. Badger brush will take a bit of use/practice compared to the synthetic I am used to.

Irritation has reduced massively, sooo I can't blame the Oceana. I suspect spending a fair chunk of a day cutting concrete may be more to blame.

Anyways, nearer to a good shave tonight.

Stay well all

I think that the OC Fatips are really smooth and comfortable razors. A great "safe" choice if you need a smooth shave.

Razor: Fatboy on 6 (passaround) - first shave
Soap: Nanny’s Silly Soap Moroccan Sands cream tester pot - first use
Blade: Wizamet (1) - first time
Brush: I knew I forgot something in the pic - Yaqi tuxedo synth
Post: witch hazel unscented then a frag I picked up in Cape Town years ago that perfectly matched the soap

A shave of many firsts, breaking all best-practice! The Fatboy passaround is now into it’s second decade of travel which is incredible, and performed great. The cream and blade were top notch too.
incredibleIMG_8649.jpeg

Friday 1st September

AIL4fc9RXeSMP52oS3ZTvfpjcDz8OJwJFLjg8toEbSDN7DpC-32bT8Z7TsWRoqnzdnYJ9_rgGzdS6WybAWuuP5wF92s0xyGUcL-jC_TF0JBRq-MCoAB36ByHSMUcdhKJJuBYhI9YlAAuhOQv9D59PzsEzKpTTA=w800

TFS RasoZero Agrumella Shaving Soap & Omega 10108 Pure Bristle
GEM 1912 (Australian) w/Bakelite Handle & GEM by Personna (Stainless/PTFE) (7)
Akcay Tutun Kolonyasi

Minor change, swapping in this Australian market GEM (Made in England) with a curious bakelite handle. Aftermarket for sure? Well, no ... it was actually sold like that. I've seen several now, even with original box.

AIL4fc_FWzwSApkoGnY6JQ1c_z_MxzDBue7DUEhTLIXbjOJz5xyW5pXw5X0DPEy_KdDPNkLOEWfaud0G6Fuo89Bjb_g4A-LcBg32WpcQAEaAR_9CtD6RmZWwZ1NFTNyRhblmbQ-qYVupMxFvTzi34rBWuyGJvw=w600

AIL4fc8YtCbxSMSzfphQwYaNaO4iPUqrMGM75-a1S5IHmq8kIY_kq_pdXks0bhYN7d5BhK2PQWmILCskg1HztPxeA5TCKgSdp72uyrqcaojHXIe9WV4dNA4fGblK8Pfx8cwd1kARauMCVrPuHIkD-letR3piVA=w600

As a shave, it's not as smooth running as the Bathroom Set 1912 I have been using this week and let's the blade play a bit more ...quite raw with a fresh blade, but with a worn in blade it's quite lovely.

IMG_2730.jpeg
SOTD: 01/09/2023

Razor: Yaqi Romulus
Blade: Feather Pro, 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Napoli
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Eco Warrior Moisturising Shaving Bar Puck
Balm: The Inkey List Vitamin B, C And E Moisturiser Balm
Fragrance: Lattafa Suqraat EdP

“It’s on offer and only £2,” I said to myself, “Maybe they’ve sorted the formula out,” I said. “It smells nice,” I said. “It doesn’t really seem to be lathering very much or lasting at all,” I said. “You’re talking to yourself and maybe you’ve gone mad, you must have as it’s the only reason you’d use this shite soap otherwise!” I said.
By the 3rd pass sanity prevailed and the Signature Soap Londinium was bought out to use to rescue the shave. The Romulus was marginally better than yesterday but it wasn’t really a fair test!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom