SOTD : Saturday 24th to Friday 30th August

And finally a week off work and a return to the SOTD. And on this most wonderful Bank Holiday Monday my theme was 'BA Barocco and his A-Team shave'

20190822_111608.jpg

'I don't hate cartridge razor shavers, but I pity them'

Now there is a man who should have some interesting SOTD's. And especially for the head shavers among you

Colonel Lynch the razor - Colonial General SS
Howling Mad Murdock the blade - Kai Captain
Templeton 'Face(man)' Peck the brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo in copper and black
BA Baracus the soapy one - Extro Baracco
John Hannibal Smith the scented smoothy - Extro Barocco aftershave

I haven't been posting too much recently, not because I am bored of this place (heaven forbid) or walked away from shaving but simply because life and work has recently taken over most of my time. I have had to adjust to working in my new port (oddly enough my home town) and being monitored as to ability before being allowed to be let loose towing without someone looking over my shoulder. This past week being the first week for a solo drive and hence more focused on other matters in life. Fortunately all went safely and all went well.

Then this past weekend saw our granddaughter make her first sleep-over at Nan and Granddad's which for us was a wonderful point in our lives. Other than getting her lathered in acrylic paint in the name of art she went back home with a big grin and a very little happy four year old. We look forward to her staying at our place again in the very near future.

IMG_20190826_210318.jpg

An artist in the making

I get the message BA. My SOTD..........

What started out as an Ikon SB, Mr T soon put right and after a bit of time in his workshop out popped a Colonial General. To be honest I started in two frames of mind and choice fell the way of the General. As much as I love the Ikons (and pleased to see a few appearing here on the SOTD section recently. Have faith) the General is probably the one razor I could live with if push came to pull. A class act giving brilliantly close shaves with the greatest lack of fuss in the quickest possible time. Shaves have been squeezed in to the little precious time I can afford recently and the Colonial has been very much my 'reach for'.

A new soap on the block in the way of Extro Barocco. Extro are nothing new to me as with the demise of OSP ( @OSP there are other more important matters in life than motorbikes) they are slowly working their way to the top of my lather tree. I recall someone describing Barocco as having a scent of an upmarket toilet cleaner and to be honest they ain't far from wrong. I just wish our toilet smelt as nice. An unusual scent but very much down my street......and U-bend. And just to reinforce the matter the aftershave splash adds to the WC sensation.

The Cadman isn't just working its way to the top of my brush tree it has quite simply appeared at the top since it arrived at the door. Another one on the horizon soon.

So a great shave and very happy and achieving to be back on the SOTD train. A true A-Team shave and smoother than the jelly my granddaughter made.

'I ain't getting on no plane' and in which case over to The Foo Fighters

Have a most wonderful week ahead all you shavers

And finally a week off work and a return to the SOTD. And on this most wonderful Bank Holiday Monday my theme was 'BA Barocco and his A-Team shave'

View attachment 46850

'I don't hate cartridge razor shavers, but I pity them'

Now there is a man who should have some interesting SOTD's. And especially for the head shavers among you

Colonel Lynch the razor - Colonial General SS
Howling Mad Murdock the blade - Kai Captain
Templeton 'Face(man)' Peck the brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo in copper and black
BA Baracus the soapy one - Extro Baracco
John Hannibal Smith the scented smoothy - Extro Barocco aftershave

I haven't been posting too much recently, not because I am bored of this place (heaven forbid) or walked away from shaving but simply because life and work has recently taken over most of my time. I have had to adjust to working in my new port (oddly enough my home town) and being monitored as to ability before being allowed to be let loose towing without someone looking over my shoulder. This past week being the first week for a solo drive and hence more focused on other matters in life. Fortunately all went safely and all went well.

Then this past weekend saw our granddaughter make her first sleep-over at Nan and Granddad's which for us was a wonderful point in our lives. Other than getting her lathered in acrylic paint in the name of art she went back home with a big grin and a very little happy four year old. We look forward to her staying at our place again in the very near future.

View attachment 46851

An artist in the making

I get the message BA. My SOTD..........

What started out as an Ikon SB, Mr T soon put right and after a bit of time in his workshop out popped a Colonial General. To be honest I started in two frames of mind and choice fell the way of the General. As much as I love the Ikons (and pleased to see a few appearing here on the SOTD section recently. Have faith) the General is probably the one razor I could live with if push came to pull. A class act giving brilliantly close shaves with the greatest lack of fuss in the quickest possible time. Shaves have been squeezed in to the little precious time I can afford recently and the Colonial has been very much my 'reach for'.

A new soap on the block in the way of Extro Barocco. Extro are nothing new to me as with the demise of OSP ( @OSP there are other more important matters in life than motorbikes) they are slowly working their way to the top of my lather tree. I recall someone describing Barocco as having a scent of an upmarket toilet cleaner and to be honest they ain't far from wrong. I just wish our toilet smelt as nice. An unusual scent but very much down my street......and U-bend. And just to reinforce the matter the aftershave splash adds to the WC sensation.

The Cadman isn't just working its way to the top of my brush tree it has quite simply appeared at the top since it arrived at the door. Another one on the horizon soon.

So a great shave and very happy and achieving to be back on the SOTD train. A true A-Team shave and smoother than the jelly my granddaughter made.

'I ain't getting on no plane' and in which case over to The Foo Fighters

Have a most wonderful week ahead all you shavers
Good to see you back Chris , glad all is well with the new job. Happy Days with you granddaughter coming to stay.

Well first shave off the road and though it was supposed to be a Sunday shave I figured one more day of fuzz would be fine. Today's beauty is a 1966 Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable and a particular favourite. It now lives in its correct case which was sourced down in Texas and sent on up by a friend.

Lots to mow through so eh A'crat dialled up to 5 and Gillette Nacet blade is a match made in heaven. I haven't loaded a Nacet in a while and I found it both Sharp and smooth. Lovely. RazoRock American Barber was the soap of choice along with the matching AS.

Lovely two pass DFS achieved. Lovely way to start what will no doubt be a busy week.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1966
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Lather: RazoRock American Barber
Aftershave: RazoRock American Barber
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
English Laundry Tahitian Waters
682D804C-AAB2-43F8-96C4-EA6A609BEF0E.jpeg

SOTD : 27th August 2019.

e.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Men Expert Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap.

Brush: Chinese Unbranded Silvertip Fibre.

Bowl : Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Star Noir.

Blade: Gillette ~ Winner.(3)

Razor: Merkur 37c.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Proraso ~ Sandalwood ASL.

Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

As with all my shave set ups a very mixed assortment of shaving diversity but all worked together excellently for a acceptable comfortable shave.

Third outing of the Gillette winner blade, which paired together with my Merkur 37c wonderfully making a non-aggressive, yet efficient duo.

It's been ages since i last added the P&B Star Noir soap to my shaving soap rotation, and forgot how much of a wonderful performing soap it is, after a 5 minute bloom in hot tap water then a 30-40 second mix directly from the tub with my damp brush adding water to the tips of the brush inbetween each pass i had enough soap for the full shave without having to re-applying any soap to the brush leaving a superb post shave feel with a equally lingering soap fragrance,which to my nose is musk/sandalwood.

A enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups near bbs with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a generous dollop of Aloe Vera Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
Date:- 27 August 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Vie-Long Synth. Silvertip Extra Soft Faux Horn 27/52mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Asian Plum
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'C' / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

SOTD 20190826.

QtHAa57.jpg

Custom "Bethlehem" handle / MÜHLE silver tip fibre knot.
MÜHLE “Sea Buckthorn” shaving cream.
RazoRock Game Changer GC-OC84 / Stork Ti "Paladin" handle.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4).
MÜHLE “Sea Buckthorn” ASB.

27 August

PAA Harvest Moon
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Merkur Progress (2.5)
Gillette Nacet
Proraso green asl

656ADF8B-43C6-4448-8688-0CBA1BE8F259.jpeg
An excellent, two pass, cold water shave this morning with a smooth result. Last drops of the Proraso, I must purchase another bottle of asl with menthol, maybe Floïd, and perhaps some other bits.

big "thank you" to Speedy PC for his post-shave recipe
still a relative newbie to "proper" shaving my routine is settling down to include

pre-shave - warm shower
soap - signature soaps from bolton
brush - chubby 2 - preferring my synth to the badger
razor - my lovely new Timeless 0.68 scalloped
blade - the astra SP is very smooth and seems to suit

which just leaves the post-shave - and apologies to all you seasoned chaps but I had been seeing all sorts of references to
post-shave treatments including witch-hazel

and I noticed that Speedy PC posts his recipe for a witch-hazel based post-shave

so i have shamelessly plagiarised this secret sauce and can report that it's a lovely blend - it's already improved my general skin tone and cleared some dry flakes on my forehead

highly recommended if you're not already using something similar

thanks Speedy and cheers all

Back
Top Bottom