SOTD: Saturday 23 March - Friday 29 March 2024.

Friday 29 March
The Schick Proline B-30 has now just started to fade on its 7th use. Still just ok but now requires more passes to get the pick ups sorted so not quite as effective as the previous 6 uses. Still dfs though. However, the Hawk is still the DBs and to think I tried to move it on :oops:
Gave the Badger-lon another run today, lovely creamy lather with the Londinium Lime. Mind you and no disrespect implied to Signature which I love, but this brush could probably get a lather out of granite :ROFLMAO:
Finally splashed on the vintage Avon Musk sent to me with the ER brush courtesy of @pjgh. Still a very appealing scent. Thanks Paul and TSR for hosting the friendly links that make this site so amazing. To quote a well known tug skipper, I love you all!
Have a great day fellas!

IMG_8898.jpeg

27/03/24
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - AP Shave Co UBrush 24mm Silvertip Synth
Soap - Maca Root / Palmolive stick Superlather
Razor - Gillette Tech MIE 32g
Blade - Ladas
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Williams Aqua Velva Musk
View attachment 118691
4th shave on the Ladas, today paired with British tech. 3 passes for a very comfortable, BBS finish.
The re-knotted U-Brush handle from @Digimonkey's PIF works really well with the silvertip synth.
Enjoy your day all.
Meant to ask T. - was it a pain to get the old knot out of the ferrule without damaging the plastic? I take it the previous one was glued into place? -- cheers - I.

29 March

Wickham 1912 Club Cola
Plisson synthetic
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather Hi-Stainless
Men’s Grooming Vetiver and Sandalwood balm

1F604217-5A57-46C1-983D-AC98F4A9D44C.jpeg
I find that I currently prefer milder razors combined with a very sharp blade (Feather) and the EJ is consequently getting more use than it used to. I love the scent of the Club Cola and I wish it was stronger but it is still a very good shaving soap. Excellent results today.

Meant to ask T. - was it a pain to get the old knot out of the ferrule without damaging the plastic? I take it the previous one was glued into place? -- cheers - I.
I’ve done a few re knots and found the extraction of old knot has ranged from easy, just pull out with pliers to a real pain requiring time, patience and a steady hand and sometimes lots of cursing.
I firstly cut all the bristles off and then use a dremel. I grip the handle in a wooden vice as lightly as possible after protecting the handle very carefully. Oh, and wear a mask and goggles! Hope Tony only needed the pliers!

How do Iain,
I knew from experience that the AP knots are just siliconed in, therefore, a twist and light tug popped it out easily saving the knot for re-use. The ferrule cleaned out easily enough rubbing off any excess silicone with my thumb.
I just use a hot glue gun to fit new knots, it lasts long enough and can be cleaned up easily if you change your mind.
T

Last edited:
Having previously destroyed a Shavemac Colonial brush by steaming to get the knot out I then resorted to slicing the bristles off first then using a cordless Dremel with the hardened routing bit to slowly remove the rock hard epoxy from both a Cadman & Brad Sears brushes ( use mask, safety glasses and gloves ) used Gorilla silicone glue to install AP Shave Co knots. Good luck!

Ever Ready vintage “Badger-lon”
I’m sure that if you have read this far you are wondering about the odd name. The 'Badgerlon' from Ever-Ready was an interesting idea at the time to blend the improved synthetic bristles with soft giving badger hair to form a brush that would lather quickly but also give that lather up when applied to the face (something synthetics aren't great at. I guess the idea didn’t catch on but was worth a try.

Synthetics back then were quite literally nylon wire, like fishing wire. Yuk! When I re-knotted it, rather than just a replacement badger I thought a badger-like synthetic (Silvertip Fibre) would meet with the spirit of 'Badgerlon' quite perfectly, achieving today what was not possible then.

I haven't shaved for about a week. Been to work this week and starting back in earnest next week so I thought I'd better make an effort (even though I'm working from home, as it's for my sanity, not about the higher-ups' ideas of appearance).

With a lengthy stubble and needing some proper sculped sideys to go with the #1 buzz cut, only a straight would do. Changing from last week's Tennis to the Baurmann so as not to just repeat the shave. 2 passes to nigh on BBS improved both my appearance and my mood. I'm loving the new fat.
20240329_134307.jpg

Back
Top Bottom