SOTD: Saturday 22 - Friday 28 October 2022

SOTD 22-Oct
View attachment 95181
Brush: C&H 'Mammoth'
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Koraat 6/8

Decent two pass shave this morning, no fuss tabac stick for decent quick lather. Smooth finish and ready for the day ahead.

Going to try and dig out a boar knot received gratis from Alpha for a mix up in a ferule order. Gratefully received but it is a bit too floppy, I'm guessing it's been treated in some way or set too high for my taste. Going to replace with one of my TGN boars which could probably prop up a shelf even when wet!

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc
LOVE the staging in this photo !

IMG_20221022_125432_7.jpg
SOTD October 22nd

Razor - Ever-Ready 1912
Blade - Personna Gem
Soap - Signature Soaps - Capra Derventio
Brush - Alpha Bulldog 28mm silvertip
Post - Refinery balm
Frag - Fumée arabie - Miller Harris Edp

I've been using this razor for a little over a week now and have enjoyed every shave, everyone should at least give this vintage razor a fair go, the Gem blade is very good indeed and offers lots of audible feedback so you know you are mowing down stubble!
For today's shave I used Sig Soaps Capra Derventio which smells wonderful and of course has the Capra goats milk base which leaves my skin feeling supple and hydrated, lovely stuff.
The Alpha Bulldog brush performed wonderfully and is perfect for face lathering and I expect it would work equally as well lathering in a bowl.

Have yourselves a great weekend but let's be careful out there! :)

Paul.

Saturday October 22, 2022
Razor: Enders Speed Shaver
Blade: Injector
Brush: Semogue Boar
Soap: WK Rebelle
AS 1: Alcoholado Eucaliptino 70
AS 2: WK Rebelle
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,446
Great minds Dave, I did use an Enders blade as a wedge under the nibbled GEM blade and I guess the GEM wasn’t the sharpest but more of an issue to me was getting a decent GEM blade gap from the two blade combo. Result was a rough shave for me as I mentioned in an early post. I will try the injector option though, maybe there’s more scope to reach a more acceptable blade gap.

Great minds Dave, I did use an Enders blade as a wedge under the nibbled GEM blade and I guess the GEM wasn’t the sharpest but more of an issue to me was getting a decent GEM blade gap from the two blade combo. Result was a rough shave for me as I mentioned in an early post. I will try the injector option though, maybe there’s more scope to reach a more acceptable blade gap.
Hope it works for you, keep us posted. Sorry for my lack of explanatory ability :ROFLMAO:

Hope it works for you, keep us posted. Sorry for my lack of explanatory ability :ROFLMAO:
I understood every word Dave (maybe not in the right order though, :) ) Ive been using the ekeko moniker since I worked in Peru and came across the Ekeko, iTiwanakan (pre Columbian civilization) god of abundance and prosperity in the mythology and folklore of the people from the Peruvianand Bolivian Altiplano. The Ekeko is a traditional god of luck and prosperity, popular in all the occident territory of Bolivia. In Peru the main festival is celebrated on May 3 of every year in the city of Puno.
Here is one I brought back, great for the tourist trade!

706A3521-1EBF-4BF7-A5BB-2222B83B130B.jpeg

View attachment 95191
SOTD October 22nd

Razor - Ever-Ready 1912
Blade - Personna Gem
Soap - Signature Soaps - Capra Derventio
Brush - Alpha Bulldog 28mm silvertip
Post - Refinery balm
Frag - Fumée arabie - Miller Harris Edp

I've been using this razor for a little over a week now and have enjoyed every shave, everyone should at least give this vintage razor a fair go, the Gem blade is very good indeed and offers lots of audible feedback so you know you are mowing down stubble!
For today's shave I used Sig Soaps Capra Derventio which smells wonderful and of course has the Capra goats milk base which leaves my skin feeling supple and hydrated, lovely stuff.
The Alpha Bulldog brush performed wonderfully and is perfect for face lathering and I expect it would work equally as well lathering in a bowl.

Have yourselves a great weekend but let's be careful out there! :)

Paul.
Thanks Paul. Neuvo Spice and Derventio Splash for me today.

33746835-1974-4E69-AA67-CFD0D98FAB7D.jpeg
SOTD: 22/10/2022

Razor: Yaqi The Final Cut Brass
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: AP Shave Co. Lemon Drop G5A
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Gondolier Puck
Balm: Bart’s Balm Sample Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Back with the brass Final Cut for another round! 2 1/2 on the first pass, 3 then 4. It is smoothness personified no matter what the setting. A great shave and start to the weekend. All the best guys.

zDegY05.jpg

Hereby ends the SxS test between the NOS mythical "Swede" and the current Gillette Platinum after 3 shaves. Why? Because in my subjective opinion they are for all intents & purposes the exact same blade with perhaps the nod going to the latter as the initial "pull back" was more noticeable which tells me it has an improved coating. (y)

Today's shave is brought to you by.....

Kanzy Tech Clone
Polsilver SI (3)
Vulfix 404 - The Grosvenor
Gentleman's Face Care Club original cream
The Real Shave Co - moisturiser.

Decided to get the band back together - The Kanzy with GFCC cream. The razor, which is a sub £7 tech clone has always given a very close and smooth shave. The GFCC cream has been absent for a couple of years. Wonderful lather, a lovely whiff and allowed the Polsilver to make short work of the stubble.

Saturday 22nd October

AL9nZEWuUmcF68y218VCB-htB063hGjbLyuiN19J-UK1b1IBRRE6rDiKoSQS6miwExaPcpx7s2FYSDigM_GoyPcbsJxTM6gzo7VDXjkqVCShE1e9VYrXNtVQmfOcWao759gH9JMcXpPMGwB0vINnq42JT41UaA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Culmak (Vintage 1980s?) Shaving Bowl & Razorock 400 Limited Edition w/Plissoft Noir Synthetic 24mm
Star (Bar) Safety Razor (c.1921) & GEM by Personna (6)
Floid (Black) Aftershave

Quite a late year for the design of razor, bringing me to assume ASR were re-using a design perhaps for the purposes of patent revival. I gather the razor is from the 1920s. In terms of the shave, I have two Gem Junior Bar razors and find both quite refined and so mild-feeling. Ever-Ready's 1907 conversely is pretty damn agricultural and gives an invigorating shave. This Star is somewhere between. I like it! Damn good for a 100 year old face scraper.

Whenever I shave with a lather catcher, I play a little game ... can I undertake a full pass, collecting all the lather into the catch without rinsing? Yeah! Of course I can and went a step further with two further daubs of lather and a couple of touch-ups.

First run out with my newly acquired vintage Culmak Shaving Bowl, which I think is from the 1980s. I have an older version and I have used the current formula. These vintage are a world apart. Hard soap, thick and sumptuous lather. This one has a herbal scent, while the older one I'd always assumed was unscented or lost its scent but I think I detect the same lineage in the older one now.

Splash of Floid for afters. I'm not that fussed about the Mentolado, but the black label bottle is rather nice.

Enjoyed! I'll carry on with the soap for a few more days ...

Back
Top Bottom