SOTD: Saturday 20 April - Friday 26 April 2024.

1CF03B09-B903-455D-AA2D-836E2380AAA0.jpeg
Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Schick Krona
Polsilver S.I. (1)
OSP Old Gold
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
Old Spice Fresh Lime a/s

Managed to pull myself away from my Overlander, with a razor that shaves quite similarly. I’m greatly appreciating razors that have built in shave angles. They are just so fuss free and effective, and are making me reevaluate what I like in traditional shaving.

Enjoy yours gents.

Happy sweet sixteenth @Johnny Bravo!

View attachment 119812

My Artisinal April & Birthday Shave today consisted of...
Prep Aleppo soap.
Brush Highlander LE2023 Boar.
Soap Stirling Black Ice.
Razor Gillette Slim Twist (Birth year razor).
Blade Nacet.
Aftershave Stirling Black Ice.

Today is my Birthday woohoo 16 today :D
I treated myself to a lovely shave using my Birth year Gillette and it didn't disappoint.
This razor you can shave with twice a day and it would still not break the skin.
The Black Ice was a Birthday present from the wife and I was a little disappointed with the lack of chill but I am putting it down to the tub being new and the chill is a bit further down the tub.
That being said the splash was great and hit the spot big time, if the soap eventually gives the same effect as I start using it then I will be a very happy chappie.
Right now off to get spoilt by the family and all that's left to be said is enjoy the day everyone.

Excited Happy Birthday GIF
Happy Birthday and many happy returns

View attachment 119812

Prep Aleppo soap.
Soap Stirling Black Ice.
Blade Nacet.

I treated myself to a lovely shave using my Birth year Gillette and it didn't disappoint.
This razor you can shave with twice a day and it would still not break the skin.
The Black Ice was a Birthday present from the wife and I was a little disappointed with the lack of chill but I am putting it down to the tub being new and the chill is a bit further down the tub.
That being said the splash was great and hit the spot big time, if the soap eventually gives the same effect as I start using it then I will be a very happy chappie.
Right now off to get spoilt by the family and all that's left to be said is enjoy the day everyone.

Happy Birthday fella!

A few years back on my birthday, I went to Big Finish Doctor Who signing with Tom Baker. I have a picture somewhere with me and Tom Baker. He looks a bit perplexed and I'm smiling like a mad man. I love Tom Baker like he was my favourite drunk uncle.

Slim Twist is a fantastic razor, a little under appreciated on the forums. Shaves as good as any of the TTO's I own.

Happy Birthday fella!

A few years back on my birthday, I went to Big Finish Doctor Who signing with Tom Baker. I have a picture somewhere with me and Tom Baker. He looks a bit perplexed and I'm smiling like a mad man. I love Tom Baker like he was my favourite drunk uncle.

Slim Twist is a fantastic razor, a little under appreciated on the forums. Shaves as good as any of the TTO's I own.
Watch out for those pesky Daleks!

Used my recent acquisition today, 1930 Gillette Goodwill. It’s a transition razor for Gillette, see my post in New Acquisitions for the back story. They seem to be mostly available from the USA, and prices have quite a range. I got this one about as cheaply as they get and still be good looking and usable. Hard to imagine it’s around 90 years old and still going strong.

It is a peculiar sensation to have the top-cap slopping about all over the place ... until you put in a (Gaisman design) blade and it all nips together just perfectly! Lovely to see it in action.

Friday 26 April
Used my recent acquisition today, 1930 Gillette Goodwill. It’s a transition razor for Gillette, see my post in New Acquisitions for the back story. They seem to be mostly available from the USA, and prices have quite a range. I got this one about as cheaply as they get and still be good looking and usable. Hard to imagine it’s around 90 years old and still going strong.
Early Gillette vintage razors have never disappointed me and this one is no different. I fitted it with a Merkur super platinum blade made in Czech Republic as I got a puck of them with the Merkur Vision 2000. It’s a very fine blade indeed.
2 main passes wtg, atg, plus pick ups gave a very comfortable bbs shave.

Enjoy the day fellas!

View attachment 119819
interesting. I haven't seen anyone use a shaving stick like that. other than rubbing it onto the stubble, only loading the brush from the top of the soap or fist lathering but why not brush the sides of the stick I guess.

It is a peculiar sensation to have the top-cap slopping about all over the place ... until you put in a (Gaisman design) blade and it all nips together just perfectly! Lovely to see it in action.
Yes, at first I thought the top cap was from some other razor, doh! I then found after putting a blade in that the razor handle nips up into the recess in the bottom head cap which aligns the head cap thread. The head cap thread was also a bit slack from years of use so I put a couple or wraps around it of plumbers tape which then pads out the slop. Amazing design.

interesting. I haven't seen anyone use a shaving stick like that. other than rubbing it onto the stubble, only loading the brush from the top of the soap or fist lathering but why not brush the sides of the stick I guess.
You do tend to get a lot of soap on the hand holding the stick though. It’s probably not the most efficient way to get a lather, it’s just my lazy I guess :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 119812

Prep Aleppo soap.
Soap Stirling Black Ice.
Blade Nacet.

Happy birthday chap!

Yes, at first I thought the top cap was from some other razor, doh! I then found after putting a blade in that the razor handle nips up into the recess in the bottom head cap which aligns the head cap thread. The head cap thread was also a bit slack from years of use so I put a couple or wraps around it of plumbers tape which then pads out the slop. Amazing design.
The blade locates on the diamonds, the cap corners engage the blade corner cutouts to align it with the blade.

Friday 26th April

AP1GczPkr65CH11fl7xwbdi-7doeyZIjW-CvyqcKFq8pZKBmJxLec9yIaxhbupDPAdGA_tbGf50PA3MNAy3NTuKfDnNlpIcMdwiv5R9kDhfWlWdrtK3iq0vpAuJQMvra2oTfSqeLpJMNKzj_8Vuep_bF6Q0ebQ=w800

Trumpers Sandalwood (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Omega 98 Professional Pure Bristle
Ever-Ready Streamline (1930s) & GEM by Personna (10)
Novaya Zarya Chypre Cologne (as Aftershave)

First go with my recently acquired vintage Trumpers Sandalwood - it's the Broad Oak Toiletries formulation, which I believe puts it pre-2008 whereupon they moved to the Standard Company formulation which was lost during the Soapworks Ltd acquisition and it all went south for Trumpers (and others). This is a known-good formulation. Sandalwood is very subtle and clean. T&H by comparison has a bunch of other notes going on while this one is more like C&E Mysore Sandalwood.

Lovely scrape with the Rolls Royce of ASR and splash of my dwindling bottle of Novaya Zarya finished off delightfully! It's a lovely scent - folks who know their Arabic perfumes will peg this one as Jannatul Firdous. Sorta Ralph Lauren Polo, sorta Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar but less dense and with an almost sweet backwash.

Smashing!

Have a great Friday night, folks! Have a great weekend!

Fantastic shave today. A real 10 / 10

When I used this razor with a Perma-Sharp I knew it didn't feel as good as I remembered. Swapping to a Shark definitely got things back to normal!

20240426_181724.jpg

Preshave - Pears Transparent Soap
Razor - Razorine Flatboy
Blade - Shark SS
Brush - Highlander TSR LE Walnut and Boar
Lather - Proraso Red
Splash - Cella

Back
Top Bottom