SOTD : Saturday 17th March - Friday 23rd March 2018.

Sunday 18th March
RSC Facial Scrub
Vitos Pre Shave Cream
Cella Soap
Yaqi Cashmere Shaving Brush
Muhe R41 (2013) on loan from @Wayne Pritchard
Supermax SS Blade
Alum Block and Rinse
Groomed AS Balm
Denim Original AS

Confirmation that I really must get one of these R41 heads. Using what I consider to be a fairly mediocre blade... I had a wonderful close and silky smooth shave.
The remainder of the day will now be spent wondering how I wil get into work for 7am tomorrow:(
The Muhe R41 (2013) pair's up wonderfully with all the non-aggressive blades, i've matched up with mine,the Voskhod Teflon Coated works wonderfully for me.

Last edited:
Snowy Sunday 18th March

RazoRock 400
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Merkur Futur (chrome)
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium (1)
Lime witch hazel
Pre De Province No63 Balm
Calvin Klein Contradiction EdT

It's been quite a while since I last used Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, even though it's been in view on the bathroom cabinet.
Too many soaps/creams I guess.
It's slickness easily rivals any other soaps I've used.
Ok, it doesn't smell of much, but for me it performs very well.
I picked up the chrome Futur from @Webbo, thanks Ashley.
It arrived yesterday, and I just had to use it today.
It's VERY smooth and shiny and at first I thought grip may have been an issue, but it was fine, not at all slippery.
As is often the case when I use a Futur I got a couple of small weepers but the shave was comfortable.
No63 balm is quite a good match with CK Contradiction.

SOTD 180318
SOTD 180318 resize.jpg

Razor: Walter Stocker Solingen 4/8
Bush: Semogue 850
Soap: T&H 1805
EDT: Izzey Myake D'Eau L'Issey

A time consuming but enjoyable 2 pass shave with this small straight.
I could not resist to use the 1805 as I adore the scent.
Perhaps not the right choice of soap due to todays Spring like conditions as you can see from the pic. :eek:

The lather was worked up a treat with the Semogue.

Izzey Myake is a perfect match for the 1805.

Enjoy your shaves and the remainder of your Sunday. :)

rlggg5.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday AM 2018-03-18

Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle (Hamada & Persimmon)
Rooney 2/1 Ivory Finest #2 (22/56)
XPEC Unscented shaving cream (original)/Domenico Caraceni 1913 EdT
RazoRock Mamba/Triad Polished-Satin Diamond Titanium
Personna 74 Tungsten (4)
Floris Santal aftershave

Sometimes the Caraceni is a bit too sweet in the lather, but today it was just right, contributing to a perfect shave.
E4dEfII.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday the 18th March - Tech/Merkur shave

Gillette Tech - Merkur 45 combo
Blade - Feather (3)
Brush - unknown / unbranded travel brush.
Cream - Gentlemens Face Care Club
Balm - The Real Shave Co.

Having bought a 1950 English ball end Tech for under a fiver; after a week, I struggle with the handle. Not a weight issue, but to slim for my hands. So thought I would pimp it up with a bakelite handle from the Merkur 45. A lovely combination. Worked out nicely. Should look to a track down a chrome handle!

The brush is tiny. A plastic or bakelite handle, it is unbranded & thus, of unknown origin. All I know is that it belonged to my later father. First time I've used it. Bit small for me, but it was more about the connection than the experience. I must assume that it is boar. It's backbone certainly suggests that it is. Has a dark band. Wish his razor had been found!

ShDMyebyvpi_ZqcuhIHskuF7eU8IpRPBDeXdjE5lWPZs0pSA9-UrNYE6Im944QZ2jXuVRpsgM0ydf01azHwwxiYaH7EllCAUmt3HNJmOgmmePVblqHY6WDMC2ttbepqxYSCfT6EGfn_y44QlkYecGxsC4_4tFX9rkO2Evvc7bwYjl2bbrNzPKL-ef54mepXYbWpPc3QiBS2cf7tHL4FCsja5CMbNnrjMDvFzDQrdGAYVwpgNkE6W11zbSfPPrFSUsCZfq6DCmNeuqthOiK1rn1Y93g-0209bH0Z1M4cQ3WoOuML-rgUSbD1LM3kPMcVuxgj-67xpsfthtjNqIIvSj94spZps3xc4PMXCabAFKwqm34u1fJSqGFqfF97Ddy5CKvbJEmt4xm1ASrmf1IFxE5qXwbGym6J7ofB1IFvLB4hy_NHCd44DbEMHAhEa7YDOFkq7r_409U_KyoJo7OMu5KPqgr2imq0_BzcK8228Z6jRDfRhTKR6RXi6yeotYjkU3VXPJ_jF2MANOFX1259pUaQSsATzAsSgE-dW64mbRezwF-eBgHpY62Zq5joZ3rhrnvVe41-vwrjBfFi3XBE_edHh0ly8sOQzZxQ81FU=w895-h670-no

Sotd - yesterday - 17/3/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Schick Proline P-30 (1)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Lea Classic hard - old tallow version
post - witch hazel
a/s - Lea Classic
balm - Bart's Peppermint oil lotion
scent - Hermes Eau D'Orange Vert edt.

Result - just lovely.

It's not actually been snowing in Glasgow that much this weekend - the odd flurry - but there is a bitingly cold and dry wind. So - operation be as nice to my face as possible. Tallow ahoy! I don't have the newer - vegetarian - version of this soap but I assume that it isn't as good as the old one - I have done a direct comparison between the old and new Lea sticks and the reformulated version isn't as good for me. I picked up some of the tallow Vie Long sticks last week - I had kind of understood they were made by Lea and re-branded for the brush manufacturer - it was by any other name the old tallow stick formula. I'm now convinced this is the case - the ingredients are identical - and the Vie Long version has two addresses on the packaging - one in Valencia - that's where the brushes are made - and the other is Lascaray S.A in Vitoria - that's the parent company of Lea. I hadn't realised that Lea is an acronym - is stands for 'La Estrella Alavesa' - the 'star from Alava' in English. Every day is indeed a school day. So if you want to try the older version Connaught sell Vie Long sticks for buttons. From personal experience the tallow Lea ones are now unobtanium - in Spain - gone forever - it's all new formula. (edit - perhaps that should be unobtania? Plural. My Latin verb declensions are a bit rusty) Talking of Connaught - I went on last week to get the Schick Prolines - a couple of drams and sixty odd quid later - will I ever learn? The blades are a game changer in the Cobra for me. Every bit as good as Feathers but significantly gentler, more comfortable and safer in use - I didn't hear the theme from Jaws once in the background during the shave. Superb. I always forget how much menthol there is in the Lea Classic - but the perfect opportunity to try the peppermint version of Bart's lotion to seal the deal. These balms are going to become a 'stock item' for me. Very good indeed. A top end shave - the Cobra sort of tamed - I'm going to hack my nose off by mistake the next time for that bit of hubris. For sure. Enjoy your shaves and the week ahead gentlemen - yours - I.

Last edited:
Sotd - yesterday - 17/3/18

Razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Schick Proline P-30 (1)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Lea Classic hard - old tallow version
post - witch hazel
a/s - Lea Classic
balm - Bart's Peppermint oil lotion
scent - Hermes Eau D'Orange Vert edt.

Result - just lovely.

It's not actually been snowing in Glasgow that much this weekend - the odd flurry - but there is a bitingly cold and dry wind. So - operation be as nice to my face as possible. Tallow ahoy! I don't have the newer - vegetarian - version of this soap but I assume that it isn't as good as the old one - I have done a direct comparison between the old and new Lea sticks and the reformulated version isn't as good for me. I picked up some of the tallow Vie Long sticks last week - I had kind of understood they were made by Lea and re-branded for the brush manufacturer - it was by any other name the old tallow stick formula. I'm now convinced this is the case - the ingredients are identical - and the Vie Long version has two addresses on the packaging - one in Valencia - that's where the brushes are made - and the other is Lascaray S.A in Vitoria - that's the parent company of Lea. I hadn't realised that Lea is an acronym - is stands for 'La Estrella Alavesa' - the 'star from Alava' in English. Every day is indeed a school day. So if you want to try the older version Connaught sell Vie Long sticks for buttons. From personal experience the tallow Lea ones are now unobtanium in Spain - gone forever - it's all new formula. Talking of Connaught - I went on last week to get the Schick Prolines - a couple of drams and sixty odd quid later - will I ever learn? The blades are a game changer in the Cobra for me. Every bit as good as Feathers but significantly gentler, more comfortable and safer in use - I didn't hear the theme from Jaws once in the background during the shave. Superb. I always forget how much menthol there is in the Lea Classic - but the perfect opportunity to try the peppermint version of Bart's lotion to seal the deal. These balms are going to become a 'stock item' for me. Very good indeed. A top end shave - the Cobra sort of tamed - I'm going to hack my nose off by mistake the next time for that bit of hubris. For sure. Enjoy your shaves and the week ahead gentlemen - yours - I.
I total agree Iain. Those Prolines are unbelievable in your Cobra. :D

A fascinating read and thanks for sharing! :)

ElDruidaSchild.jpg

• Straight Razor: Schild - 15/16 O2 Micarta
  • Shaving Brush: El Druida - 25mm Vimocca (High Mountain White)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Cream: The Art Of Shaving - Eucalyptus (sample)
  • After-Shave: Williams - Aqua Velva (Sample)

Back
Top Bottom