SOTD: Saturday 16 - Friday 22 September 2023.

62836F55-43C4-4411-B75E-27281DBE6A7E.jpeg

Shavemac 2016 TSR L.E.
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Polsilver S.I. (3)
OSP Belgravia Barbershop
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
OSP Belgravia Barbershop a/s

I haven’t used this brush for quite a while. It’s huge even for a bulb knot, for my tastes nowadays, and I subsequently loaded enough soap for the week.
I’ve also been neglecting the Slim for a while, which is a shame as it’s a classic, and always delivers.

Outstanding, enjoy the rest of the weekend gents.

Thank you shave (and long time no SOTD!).

I've organised a couple of PIFs in the past, but I'm absolutely certain I've gotten more than I've given. I hope this post comes accross as grateful rather than smug. I shall describe the absolutely free shave i took.

Razor: Parker Semi Slant very generously PIFfed by @DRJC - this will never be my daily driver, I really need to be awake to use it (and the slant makes lining up my sideburns tricky), but I enjoy busting it out on weekends and holidays. It's not a beautiful razor, but it is rather lovely.

Blades: Ladas from a very generous PIF from @Digimonkey - it's been a couple of years since I last used one of these, and I'd all but forgotten how they behaved. I was pleased to find they were reassuringly nondescript. Not dangerously sharp, nor blunt enough to leave anything behind or tug or pull.

Brush: DS Cosmetics 'Red Queen' which @pjgh bundled as part of a very generous complete set. I generally only ever use this with Cella as the colours match nicely. It may have been a little confused, but still lathered up a great lather.

The soap was the tricky part - I've won a couple down the years, but have either finished them off if I like them, or re-PIFfed them if I didn't. Fortunately I still had a little edwin jagger limes & pomegranate shaving cream that I won from Shaving Station (or Deleted Member 98532 as they are in my conversation history) in my first month on the site. I love the scent (and performance) of this one, but I'm not a fan of creams in general.

I'm not much into aftershave. I did once get a sample in a generous PIF from @Boycie83 but re-PIFfed that along with the soap that was the main prize. However, @pjgh did throw in a couple of attars with his set. These usually live on my desk and I'll just give them a huff from time to time, but I rolled some of the Jannatul Firdous accross my pulse points.

I've had an absolutely cracking shave, and all for free. Thank you TSR, you're the best!

IMG_7295.jpeg
A bit of teamwork required today, I purchased a whetstone to put an edge on the Dovo, it now cuts stubble but still a little draggy, I'll give it another hone next weekend, I tidied up the left over with the amazing Masamune Ti, this razor is perfect for me. NSS is smelling divine and offers a slick foam. The Proraso green provided a nice little zing.
A lovely shave although I'll be really happy when I get the edge I want on this straight.

17 september
Prep : warm water
Brush : Mühle boar (predecessor NOM Erik)
Soap : Cella Organic
Razor : The Goodfellas Smile Shibumi
Blade : Derby Usta DE
After shave : Nivea Men Deep Comfort lotion

The Shibumi looks good but the blade holder feels flimsy.
The Mühle brush is over 10 years old, later it was sold under the brand names HJM and NOM.
A fine shave on a cloudy day ;)

Henson AL13 ++ razor :: BIC blade (1) :: Omega 10066 boar brush :: P&B Albion soap, splash, and balm
IMG_20230917_204011.jpg
Now this was nice. The soap was on the thinner side (this one seems to end up like this quite often for me, although the other P&B soaps I have work much more yogurty), but i love the scent. Overall a very smooth, close, and comfortable shave, no irritation - I suspect it is the Albion balm that works amazingly for me.

IMG_2854.jpeg
SOTD: 17/09/2023

Razor: Blackland Era
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated, 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Yaqi Plastic Bowl
Soap: Proraso Green Puck
Aftershave: Proraso Green Aftershave
Fragrance: PAA Awesome Sauce EdP

IMG_2880.jpeg
SOTD: 17/09/2023

Razor: Blackland Era
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated, 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Napoli
Bowl: Yaqi Plastic Bowl
Soap: A&E L’Orange Verte Puck
Aftershave: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EDT

My weekend in the caravan went well and the Era was a great choice for the time away!

SOTN (Head & Face)

Face - Yaqi Excalibur AC head on EJ Kelvin handle, Alpha Outlaw Ti (touch ups)
Head - Leaf razor
Løthur Floraphobia (soap & splash)
Alpha Outlaw brush (G4 knot)
Feather Professional AC blade
Lord Super Chrome DE blade
Treet Platinum saloon blades
Nivea Pro Sensitive Ultra Calming Balm

Had my eye on the new Yaqi stainless AC razors (leaning towards the Remus matte effect one) but not tried that style of head before, then spied the Excalibur head going pretty cheap on AliExpress, so thought great way to try it out. Still trying to get used to the wider blades etc but like how nimble this is, just finish is was getting a closer shave off it - hoping the stainless would be better.

1000006532.jpg

SOTD 18-Sep
20230916_160012.jpg
Brush: Chubby 1 Best
Soap: HoM Shire 2
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige (++)
Blade: GEM PTFE (6)

Wonderful shave this morning, the razor continues to perform well.

I'm deeply impressed and I am genuinely thinking about picking one up. I think if it was just a touch more blade forward it would be a no brainer and I would have one on order before this one was boxed up. This has actually surprised me, considering the light weight I thought it would be nice but I would have written it off in the first few shaves.

Continuing to enjoy this Shire 2, the cooling wasn't necessary this morning with the miserable weather but it was still thoroughly enjoyable.

Hope everyone has a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

Monday September 18, 2023
Razor: Vintage Hoffritz
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper
Brush:TSR 2023 LE/Boti Synthetic
Soap: Dendi Bay Rum
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Rooster's Nest Bourbon Bay Rum
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,777

I believe this to be a Vegan soap (CORRECTION , TALLOW). I may have pushed the water band on it since I was bowl lathering which isn't my normal method but do it for samples. Still got a great lather for an enjoyable shave. I'm not a Bay Rum connoisseur but this is a nice scent and opens up even more on lathering and applying to the face. The Brush feels great in my large hands and is gorgeous to look at. Beautiful workmanship by Gile at TSR. This was a group buy i entered as I was exiting there due to time constraints and miss the great guys there to interact with. Wish them all the best and hope Everyone has a great day !!
ubkvLQZ.jpg

rIbdSbm.jpg

oZ4VlDd.png

Last edited:
View attachment 111259
SOTD

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Blackland Osprey Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1)
Brush: PAA Starcraft
Cream: Cella
A/S: Boots Freshwood
Balm: Men's Master Professional
How have you got on with this? - curious as to whether it is awkward or not dealing with the brass weight for cleaning and loosening/tightening for adjustment.

18 September

Martin de Candre Original
Yaqi Dandelion
Merkur 39c
Feather Hi-Stainless
Signature Soaps Hibernia Splash

314CFAC5-4D50-458A-9322-DAE3B274255C.jpeg
Another day and a third great shave with the Sledgehammer, which seems a slightly inappropriate nickname for a razor that, to me, is both close and comfortable. Perhaps, it’s more about the look because it feels nicely balanced in the hand. A good start to the day.

Back
Top Bottom