SOTD : Saturday 12th October - Friday 18th October 2019.

Feather AS-D2
Semogue SOC 2b
MdC Vetiver
Barts Grapefruit & Pink Pepper A/S

So I took the plunge and purchased an AS-D2 off BST. It must be the most traded DE razor going with many people buying them and shortly thereafter selling them. I suspect many AS-D2's have had dozen's of different owners. I was also aware of so many reviews where shavers give it the thumbs down. I was enthused by those reviews where shavers describe the razor as a precision tool and a system razor (i.e. to be paired with a Feather blade) that and fact that quite a few advocates of the razor are straight razor users in the main who only keep one DE - an AS-D2. Anyway initial impressions are good, I got the angle but will need practice to maintain it consistently. I will give the razor 3-months of daily shaves before making a decision if it is a keeper or I too join the majority and list on the BST for someone else to give it a go. I do think though Thomas from Denmark (an old shaving video; sadly he no longer posts) may have hit the mark on the AS-D2 though...

Your recent posts have reminded me how good that soap is. Just ordered some prior to Brexit
It is excellent soap Brian . The Natural one is my favourite the scent for me is lovely reminds me of Dr Jons Propaganda , the seaweed is good but some one gave me the tip to leave the lid off for a bit as it had a very seaweed sent, the seaweed fades and it became more Citrus.

Lovely Razor Rob , really like that new handle. How are you getting along with it ?

Thanks Russell. It's a lovely shaver, very similar to the Paradigm Ti II but smoother with less blade feel. It gives me the best finish of any shaver I've tried, and I've tried a lot of razors.
No problems with the R2 handle either. I think I still prefer the original R1 but time will tell. I'd love to get my hands on the titanium handle.

Downside: The shave isn't as long lasting as the Paradigm but if you're a daily shaver this won't be an issue. I don't like to shave daily but I reckon I could with this as it's so mild.

Laters
Rob

Friday 18th October

Pears Glycerine Soap
Creighton's Ultra Rich Shaving Cream
Vulfix medium Synthetic Brush
Razorock ECO with a 7 O'clock Sharp Edge
Turkish Copper Shaving Bowl
Thayers Witch Hazel with Cucumber
Argan Oil
Benjamins Bay Rum with Pimento

3 passes for a perfect shave :)

Last edited:
SOTD 20191018.
NS9a7bh.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (white).
J&T® purpleheart / Oumo Brush synth.
Jabones by Luna "Fauno" shaving soap.
Seygus Ti "Zeppelin" V2.1 0.7 / Stork Ti "Falcon" handle.
Lord Platinum Class (4).
Figaro AS EdT.

Feather AS-D2
Semogue SOC 2b
MdC Vetiver
Barts Grapefruit & Pink Pepper A/S

So I took the plunge and purchased an AS-D2 off BST. It must be the most traded DE razor going with many people buying them and shortly thereafter selling them. I suspect many AS-D2's have had dozen's of different owners. I was also aware of so many reviews where shavers give it the thumbs down. I was enthused by those reviews where shavers describe the razor as a precision tool and a system razor (i.e. to be paired with a Feather blade) that and fact that quite a few advocates of the razor are straight razor users in the main who only keep one DE - an AS-D2. Anyway initial impressions are good, I got the angle but will need practice to maintain it consistently. I will give the razor 3-months of daily shaves before making a decision if it is a keeper or I too join the majority and list on the BST for someone else to give it a go. I do think though Thomas from Denmark (an old shaving video; sadly he no longer posts) may have hit the mark on the AS-D2 though...

Hi @Missoni. I have retained an AS-D2 in my den for four years now, and can certainly appreciate your comments above. As you mention, the angle is not the easiest to find, and when I return to the razor, my first few shaves can result in a wee bit of stubble remaining. Once I'm back in the groove, I find it a terrific razor. In particular, despite its mild reputation, I find that it effortlessly scythes through a 5 day growth when called upon.
I often use this razor if I have an important event or meeting to attend, as I have confidence that I will get an irritation and blemish free shave.

Back
Top Bottom