SOTD : Saturday 11th - Friday 17th May 2019

Screenshot_20190516-215912__01.jpg

Game Changer 0.84
Gillette Super Platinum
Maseto Finest
La Savonniere du Moulin Donkey Milk Shaving Soap (sample)

Many thanks to Paul AKA @Blademonkey who kindly sent me a very generous sample of La Savonniere du Moulin soap.

So what did I think?
Well the scent is very faint. I don't think you are missing much if you bought the non scented version.... unless this is the unscented version Paul? What I could get from the scent was soapy/fresh. I didn't get anything like Rive Gauche/CaD, which had been mentioned.

Creating a lather took a little extra work than normal. I wasn't blown away on the first pass so I decided to go back to the sample.
Second pass was much better. This was lot more like it. Slickness and protection improved.
Sadly around this time my lips started tingling, not much but noticeable. I carried on and finished my shave. I rinsed off my face and did my usual tidy up. I felt my face a few minutes later and the post shave was excellent, up there with the very best.

My lips are still a little tingly so I'll use the sample a couple more times and see if things improve?

Thanks again to Paul for the sample. I really appreciate it mate.

Cheers
Rob

image.jpeg

Shave Of The Day. 17th May

Prep ~ Shower, Valobra Glicerlanonlina soap
Razor ~ Ever-Ready 1912 with SS Darwin type handle
Blade ~ Personna Gem
Soap ~ Saponifico Varesino ~ Opuntia
Brush ~ Zenith 28mm Manchurian
Post ~ Bart's - Grapefruit & Pink Pepper aftershave lotion
Scent ~ Mancera - Cedrat Boise

Have a nice day people........P :)

Last edited:
17 May

Palmolive stick
MÜHLE Rocca Silvertip Fibre
Merkur Progress (2.5)
Feather Hi-stainless
Bart's Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine

DAF56D0A-10E2-4DCA-A89F-CCC0C455ED22.jpeg
Very pleasant and close two pass shave this morning with the Merkur Progress. The Palmolive stick gave a good lather, but it was a little drying and lacking in the scent department, soon fixed by Bart's aftershave balm.

SOTD 20190517.

5Tg3825.jpg

Vie-Long foroafeitado SE 2019 synth.
Vreto "Aloe Vera" shaving soap.
Seygus "Zeppelin" V2 0.7 / Seygus Ti handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (3).
Loris "So Oud" EdP.

PicsArt_05-17-10.20.32.jpg

A&E Asian Plum
Plisson Synthetic
Gillette Flare Tip
Personna Lab Blue
Mysrol Emulsion

Big thanks to A&E UK who provided the sample, they are currently only active on Facebook but I hear that a website with store is in the works.

Okay, where to start? It arrived this morning and I could smell it through the envelope... Scent is very strong, very sweet and very synthetic. It seemed strikingly familiar to me but I couldn't place where I'd smelt it before but I have it now: Comfort cherry blossom and sweet pea fabric conditioner! Which we actually have a bottle of in the house so I compared them side by side, yep very similar but if anything the Comfort is the more delicate scent by quite a margin (!)

Consistency is a paste, complete misnomer to call this a soap (just a pet peeve of mine, nearly all artisans are guilty of it.) I treated it like a cream and scooped some of the sample off with a finger, rubbed it into my stubble and face lathered with the Plisson synth to keep boar induced variables out of the equation, finicky things those piggies. Fast lather production, little to no effort required, it took loads of water and ended up a dense shiny lather. In a nutshell performance was indistinguishable from B&M Glissant, if I'd just been handed the sample without being told who made it I would have guessed B&M. No drying issues post-shave, though when rubbing my face to check for any missed stubble I discovered I was literally "squeaky clean" which I've not experienced before.

So fairly good performance but hideously unsuitable scent for a shaving soap IMO, I remain utterly dumbfounded at those calling these "elite" soaps... I know, YMMV and scents are subjective but I'm really coming to understand Steve and Yuri's distaste for these scented candle/fabric conditioner scented soaps, it wouldn't matter but the fact people rave about and pay "top dollar" for them is just so depressing :(

129271.jpg

Back
Top Bottom