SOTD: Saturday 11 November - Friday 17 November 2023.

Sunday 12 November
If only Thomas Ward had decided to design the Wardonia Razor to take normal de blades. Instead he came up with his alternative Wardonia Barrel Hole blade. Now it’s easy to mod a normal blade to fit as I have done many times but hey as a sales pitch it’s not great. However, the business founded in 1927 continued until 1984 so they must have been quite popular. They continued to sell razor blades, holders and sets until 2000 when they ceased operation. They made little themselves and outsourced nearly everything to British companies like Souplex.

How was the shave? Thanks for asking, Løthur Nude and a very nicely coloured badger bristle soon had a very smooth, but scent free, lather evenly deposited around the old fizog.
The razor is well suited for my type of stubble and 2 passes and pick ups was all it took to produce a smooth and irritation free result.
This razor could easily be a daily driver, it’s mainly made of Bakelite with a metal cap, easy to take down and clean, no rust issues. No real pressure is needed and shave angle is pretty wide, no real chance of tissue damage although a normal de blade does have a small overhang each end of the head so a little care is needed around the schnozzola.

Have a peaceful day fellas……..

View attachment 113336
I have considered picking up an earlier Wardonia from when they still were compatible with standard blades, but I'm not sure. I have lots of razors but only a handful I use regularly as only a few shave really well for me, regardless of the other components in a shave.

Bit more effort applied today, decent results gained

Oumo gel tip badger
Bluebird K7
Fatip slant
Wilkinson Sword blade (3rd shave, new type)
Nivea balm

Blew the dust off the slant this week, took a couple of passes to remember how to use it after weeks of far more forgiving SE shaving.

Ended up two passes and a quick tidy up for a third. Felt like I'd had a shave but no real irritation after so no complaints. Happy with the Fatip performance, if I was sensible I'd stick to the fatips and just expand the collection for modern razors

Stay well all

Sunday 12th November

ADCreHcfWgwvSnhGrBneODD3M6GQstAtUPOov--59aMyXkcHkMr8NC9K8aUayHq_t6A1gDAa0TqBRo-c40RZfspOLPFqK7QGaBzTuF7TCwgXugqR0tzsIzfoX5OHCCipkQIuhvIUu_xA1YGRIOHFf-SpmduyKg=w800

Haslinger Schaffmilch Shaving Soap & Razorock 400 Limited Edition Plissoft Noir Synthetic
Leaf Twig & BIC Astor (2)
Avon Musk (Vintage) Aftershave

Variation on yesterday's shave with the Schaffmilch in place of the Honig and the heavier limited run metal handle on the brush. Vintage Avon Musk replaces the Coty Musk used yesterday - much greener than the Coty and much more like Pinaud Musk.

Cracking couple of shaves with the remaining half of that BIC Astor - somehow, that blade is just so much more pleasant to use than their Chrome blade.

I have considered picking up an earlier Wardonia from when they still were compatible with standard blades, but I'm not sure. I have lots of razors but only a handful I use regularly as only a few shave really well for me, regardless of the other components in a shave.

I have a feint recollection that the one sold as the Black Prince took Gillette design blades. That's the one with the smooth black handle and metal ring at the pommel ... I think.

Also:

426daef64a7a1fda758e1cd3f5c3d3c4.jpg

@ekeko @NotTheStig

IMG_3721.jpeg
SOTD: 12/11/2023

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 1st use
Brush: Highlander Forest G2 APshave Co G5C
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Asian Plum Croap
Balm: The Inkey List Vitamin B, C And E Moisturiser Balm
Fragrance: Milestone Perfumes Bibliotic EdP

Lovely shave and scent, a great Sunday shave.

IMG_3723.jpeg
SOTD: 13/11/2023

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 2nd use
Brush: Highlander Copper Colonel Plissoft Knot
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C/Pasteur’s Pharmacy Empire State Of Mind Puck
Balm: The Inkey List Vitamin B, C And E Moisturiser Balm
Fragrance: Lattafa Asad EdC

A strong and powerful scent from the soap and splash. A real smash you in the face and wake up shave for the start of the week!

Mon 13
Soap & Aftershave Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush Yaqi 24mm Freedom
Razor & Blade Gillette Red Tip A3 & SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum
A lovely lather & scent from this soap and matching splash.
This razor paired with the rarely used blade proved to be excellent. Smooth comfortable and quite efficient. Enjoyed 3passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20231113_121112.jpg

I have a feint recollection that the one sold as the Black Prince took Gillette design blades. That's the one with the smooth black handle and metal ring at the pommel ... I think.

Also:

426daef64a7a1fda758e1cd3f5c3d3c4.jpg

@ekeko @NotTheStig
Thanks for sharing Paul. If I read the chart correctly Wardonia moved away from Gillette type de blades to Barrel Hole around 1929. I can’t really see an obvious economic reason for this. Cheers Alan

1000001631.jpg

SOTD 13 November 23

Razor - Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade - Personna Gem
Soap - Czech & Speake 88
Brush - Highlander - Black & white Bruce with silvertip fan knot
Bowl - Capitans Choice standard weight copper
Post - Thayer's astringent
Frag - Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

The Ever-Ready Streamline razor is possibly the best Gem bladed razor out there in my humble opinion so I was not shocked by how well it handled two weeks of growth, like a hot knife through butter!
I'm really loving my latest brush from Highlander, it looks fabulous and feels great in my hand, the knot is superb and easily knocked up a great lather from the wonderful C&S soap.
A great set up that left my skin as smooth as smooth can be.

Until the next time,

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom