SOTD : Saturday 02th May - Friday 0 May 2020

This week will be a vintage Gillette DE razor week ,and Carrying on with another week using the indian gillette 7'oclock sp blade after the excellent shaves i had from them last week.

Starting off with 1940's vintage flat bottom tech...what i love about the gillette tech design is they are such mild smooth efficient shavers especially the earlier models, it would be hard for me to choose a favourite because each one that i own is a joy to shave with...However, i find the 40's & 50's models are slightly more assertive with the right blade choice.

One of my favourite combinations; Old Tech & 7 Black, IMO it's as good as any blade made now, but doesn't seem to get as much love as a Polsilver, Nacet etc.

One of my favourite combinations; Old Tech & 7 Black, IMO it's as good as any blade made now, but doesn't seem to get as much love as a Polsilver, Nacet etc.
Purely because the 7'oclock blacks are made in indian,,a fantastic blade which doesn't get the credit it deserves from the wet shaving community...'Ignorance and fear i suppose'!...I have a puck of the chinese made GWS blades that i intend to try out in future shaves, to compare with the indian GWS ,which is another superb blade that doesn't get much love either.PS: You are right about the Old Tech & 7 Black a great combo. (y)

Last edited:
Purely because the 7'oclock blacks are made in indian,,a fantastic blade which doesn't get the credit it deserves for it's wet shaving community...'Ignorance and fear !i suppose'...I have a puck of the chinese made GWS blades that i intend to try out in future shaves, to compare with the indian GWS ,which is another superb blade that doesn't get much love either.PS: You are right about the Old Tech & 7 Black a great combo. (y)

I'm in agreement, I also sometimes think some judge a product by price/reputation opposed to how great it feels on their face.

Many seem to really rate the MIC GWS, but I find it to be a little on the prickly side of things it's definitely sharper than the Indian one. FWIW I prefer the Indian GWS I think it's a nice smooth middle of the road blade like the Astra SP but I prefer the Indian GWS.

Another great combo I came across is Old Type and Winner, or Winner in pretty much any razor! It might be my favourite blade right now (also great for the picture of Sachin Tendulkar on the packet)

I'm in agreement, I also sometimes think some judge a product by price/reputation opposed to how great it feels on their face.

Many seem to really rate the MIC GWS, but I find it to be a little on the prickly side of things it's definitely sharper than the Indian one. FWIW I prefer the Indian GWS I think it's a nice smooth middle of the road blade like the Astra SP but I prefer the Indian GWS.

Another great combo I came across is Old Type and Winner, or Winner in pretty much any razor! It might be my favourite blade right now (also great for the picture of Sachin Tendulkar on the packet)
I prefer smoothness VS sharpness in a blade, however i will try out the chinese GWS though,purely because for my own comparison..I'm familiar with the gillette Winner ,another very impressive blade,as you say very smooth indeed. The Indian GWS (Saloon Pack)& 7'oclock blacks are my favourite indian made blades to date.

Last edited:
I prefer smoothness VS sharpness in a blade, however i will try out the chinese GWS though,purely because for my own comparison..I'm familiar with the gillette Winner ,another very impressive blade,as you say very smooth indeed. The Indian GWS (Saloon Pack)& 7'oclock blacks are my favourite indian made blades to date.

For the MIC GWS, I've read others prefer it and find it smoother than the Indian one but my experiences were different but for blades YMMV as ever, hope you enjoy using yours though!

I seem to like most Indian blades I have tried aside from the Gillette 7 Green Permasharp Stainless.

2/5/20

Soap - Signature Soaps 'A Coria' Geranium & Lavender
Brush - Yaqi Faux Horse Rainbow
Razor - Wilkinson Classic DE
Blade - Astra SP (4)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice India

This morning was one of those mornings when I seemed to get out of the wrong side of the bed and on such a day I seem to not have much enthusiasm for doing much things including shaving. I just about managed to persuade myself it would be a good idea to comb my hair and have a shave, but didn't really have much excitement for the set up I use the most so went to a few things I don't really use that much being the plastic Wilk DE razor and the Signature Soaps A Coria soap. The latter is a soap that I found the scent a bit too strong when I first used it and the lather wouldn't sit on my face the best as well, but with a bit of time the scent is something I have grown to absolutely love and the lather sits on my face without the slightest bit of irritation, and what an exceptional lather it was too.
Unsurprisingly I had a great shave with the lather and the Wilk/Astra SP combo, pleased I convinced myself to have a shave in the end and even though I don't have the most extensive rotation of razors/soaps etc it's good to have a bit of choice for the days where a small treat can make a beneficial gain to not the best of days.

Have a good weekend chaps.

02/05/20
Soap: D. R. Harris Arlington
A really nice lather from the Arlington scented DR Harris, i am going to run with it all this week.
Other than the nice lather, what's the scent like with the DR Harris soap. Is it potent? I'm thinking of replacing it with my TOBS sandalwood soap, which smells more like, well, soap.

Razor - MÜHLE R89
Blade - Wilkinson (6)
Post - Alum followed Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food

Took me a while to build a lather using this soap today, my face had almost dried out from the prep. I wasn't expecting much. The Lather wasn't as thick as I get from creams, which I mostly use. After a 2/3 pass shave, I had a comfortable, very close shave. Photo is post shave.

IMG_7586.jpg

2/5/20

Soap - Signature Soaps 'A Coria' Geranium & Lavender
Brush - Yaqi Faux Horse Rainbow
Razor - Wilkinson Classic DE
Blade - Astra SP (4)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice India

This morning was one of those mornings when I seemed to get out of the wrong side of the bed and on such a day I seem to not have much enthusiasm for doing much things including shaving. I just about managed to persuade myself it would be a good idea to comb my hair and have a shave, but didn't really have much excitement for the set up I use the most so went to a few things I don't really use that much being the plastic Wilk DE razor and the Signature Soaps A Coria soap. The latter is a soap that I found the scent a bit too strong when I first used it and the lather wouldn't sit on my face the best as well, but with a bit of time the scent is something I have grown to absolutely love and the lather sits on my face without the slightest bit of irritation, and what an exceptional lather it was too.
Unsurprisingly I had a great shave with the lather and the Wilk/Astra SP combo, pleased I convinced myself to have a shave in the end and even though I don't have the most extensive rotation of razors/soaps etc it's good to have a bit of choice for the days where a small treat can make a beneficial gain to not the best of days.

Have a good weekend chaps.
Glad you've grown to like it. Geranium is a good essential for face. Cheers, Brian

Saturday AM 2020-05-02

National Lemonade Day
V3dr8od.gif

Rooney 3/2 Ivory Finest (24/58)
Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving soap
Wolfman WR1-OC/Stork Advoco Titanium
Personna 74 Tungsten (8)
Floris Santal aftershave
m6TuIds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom