SOTD Decisions

For those of you who have a lot of different razors, soaps and creams... how do you choose what to use each day? Sometimes I wake up and think "definitely the rocket HD today, but can't decide between a 7 o'clock Yellow, Super Thin or NOS Bleue Extra." Soap/cream can be a problem too. I usually have two or three of any one element in mind when deciding.

How do you do it? Do you decide the night/morning before? I rarely plan my shaves in advance as I like to do what I feel at the time, Trouble is it's not always easy to narrow it down!

It's a different process from day to day, most often I wake up and look at the brushes (they're posted in the bedroom at a special shelf :)) and there's my first pick, then it's razor and I try to have some kind of rotation, but it's often on a whim, what feels right. Soap and AS = open bathroom cabinet and look what fancies me for the day... Sometimes I decide on a razor or brush the day before :icon_rolleyes:

I'm new to "taking an interest in my shave" and before I read this forum my aim was just to get a better shave. I expected just to get a razor (to me a DE was just a DE, I didn't know there were different types..) and some blades all of them naturally being made by Wilkinson Sword...

But thats changed. There's a whole new world out there and I want to try all of it.... But I still want my better daily shave.

So although I'm not there, I'm beginning to think I'll find my better daily shave that fits into my life, but I'll have a hobby (although reading this forum it may turn into an obsession..) for weekends and free time trying to find a perfect shave to just enjoy...

So in answer to your post I'll have my same, staple, every day kit (which will gradually change over time..) but the rest of the time I'll be experimenting, trying what other people have done and sharing what I've done... And simply enjoying it all

I still can't believe I look forward to shaving.. My Wife thinks its a mid life crisis :)

I Usually decide whilst shaving, what combination I will use the following day....Though at the moment I've got my razor rotation down to two razors, the rest are stored away for future reference....my brush is a constant,as I only have the one.
Soaps and creams, now thats a different matter. My daily favourite selection is between

WMF.................................................
Nanny's Lime.....................................
Trumper's Violet................................
Zuri Essentials...1950's english garden..
Palmolive...........................................

I'm trying to keep a lid on my soap acquisitions and to use up the selection of creams, various and assorted that I've accumulated,so every now and then one of the others gets an outing as well....

Blades are ....

Feather................
Gillette Yellows.....
Permasharp.........

Use for three shaves then discard regardless..

Giraud said:
I'm new to "taking an interest in my shave" and before I read this forum my aim was just to get a better shave. I expected just to get a razor (to me a DE was just a DE, I didn't know there were different types..) and some blades all of them naturally being made by Wilkinson Sword...

But thats changed. There's a whole new world out there and I want to try all of it.... But I still want my better daily shave.

So although I'm not there, I'm beginning to think I'll find my better daily shave that fits into my life, but I'll have a hobby (although reading this forum it may turn into an obsession..) for weekends and free time trying to find a perfect shave to just enjoy...

So in answer to your post I'll have my same, staple, every day kit (which will gradually change over time..) but the rest of the time I'll be experimenting, trying what other people have done and sharing what I've done... And simply enjoying it all

I still can't believe I look forward to shaving.. My Wife thinks its a mid life crisis :)

I'm too young for it to be a mid-life crisis.:angel::icon_razz:

I only use one razor and blade at the moment, so that bit's easy. I use brushes in strict rotation for a week each, thinking of dropping down to a half-week there.

Soaps or (occasionally) creams I pick on a daily basis on whim, but trying to use most of them occasionally. Sometimes I'll have an idea of what cologne I want to wear and will work backwards to a soap that will please me in combination, but mostly not. No system here at all.

At the moment I have no choice of razor, as my slim is away for replating, so I have only my trusty, much loved ej 89 barley to use.
Blades - I use a blade for three shaves then discard - as I shave at most every three days I'm never going to be a great consumer of blades, so I am trying after over a year of de shaving to rationalise my stock of blades. Problem is magpie syndrome - I see the shiny shiny and want it, so my stock of blades is ever increasing :icon_razz:
I choose the next blade in advance, and lay it out on my brush stand ready for the shave.
Brushes - I'm not an acquirer of brushes, although I greatly admire the brushes made by the various artisans on the forum. My preferred brush is my New Forest 2207 - it does everything I need and looks great, so I just don't feel the need to buy more brushes.
Fragrances - I'm a sampler. I'll admit it. I love buying samples, though I rarely upgrade to the full size versions after trying. Two exceptions - Caron's Yatagan, and Czech & Speake's No88. These just grabbed me by the nose on first sniff.

I choose my brush depending on the soap/cream I lathering up
I'm trying to do the first pass with the straight (from the Invisible Edge), followed by one of the Des, depending on how rough I'm feeling by this point. I keep the same blades in the Merkur and the Jagger so I can compare, although I'm narrowing it down to one of the 7 o'clock varieties

The choice of styptic pencil is the only real constant in this equation!

Hiya,

I really only have a couple razors that I use regularly. Same thing with soaps, and I only use 3-4 different blades most times.

More often than not, something I've seen in a post will make me wanna use that particular item myself. Yeah, that's probably the #1 reason for me to change things up.

Sometimes razors will call to me before I start my shave, in which case I surrender to the monkey without resistance.

Martin

There's only 3 or 4 razors that I use regularly so that narrows that down. I choose the razor the night before, it's usually the 34C if it's a weekday as I'm most experienced with that and I can go speedily with it if need be and there won't be carnage.

I only really use 2 blades now, 7 o'clock green or yellow. I choose the blade based on the razor, 34C can take a green and it's feeling nice, everything else needs a yellow sharpedge. So the blade is selected the night before also.

Brushes, soaps and smells are usually more on a whim, on the morning itself, based on weather and my mood. That whim can change seconds before selecting a product.

[How do you do it? Do you decide the night/morning before? I rarely plan my shaves in advance as I like to do what I feel at the time, Trouble is it's not always easy to narrow it down!
[/quote]

The soap and brush thing is usually edcided the night before. The chouce of weapon though depends very much on the moment, straight razor or DE being the first question I ask. If it's to be a DE ( when I'm really wussy or not in control) then there are always 2 razors (A Merkur 25c and a 1972 vintage Gillette) loaded and ready to go (so to speak). If it's to be a straight (steady hands, clear headed, calm) then the choice is traditional or Shavette. Lately it's mainly a shavette (a Miraki, excellent kit and blades) although when in the mood to stropp properly, it'll be traditioanal blade... the choice then being vintage or contemporary? French or German? Wide blade or shallow...........ugh, too many choices......too many!! :eek:)

allatsea

I have 10 razors, 3 brushes, 6 creams/soaps & 4 ASB's on rotation. Never use the same thing 2 days on the trot unless it's new, then around 3 days on the trot before I decide if it's a keeper or a weeper:)

I have 6 razors (3 in rotation, 2 on loan , 1 spare) 2 brushes, 6 types of blade and 17 types of shaving cream. I usually have certain blades that work well with certain razors and try to keep to a pattern here, but as to the cream it's a case of what takes my fancy, same with the brush.

I too dont usually use the same set up 2 days running unless its a new product.

Back
Top Bottom