SOTD: 4th of April to 10th April of 2020

Fri 10th April
Jayaruh Syn. No67
MWF
ER1912 ex Bathroom set
Gem S/S [ 6 ]
Grey Flannel A/S Lotion

I missed my daily Shave, as got tied up with Shopping for friend [ long queues ], and trying unsuccessfully to switch TVs and tie in to Digi Box.
A rubbish Shave, because the blade was not that clever at dealing with my rather strong growth.I should have changed the blade but did not, so got what I deserved - a scrubby finish.
Got a required HDMI cable, enterprising Company has set up a click/collect system to keep Trades going. Have now given up with TV set up,will leave it to son who is probably better at than me.
Make the best of Easter - but Stay Safe:)

IMG_0670.jpg

18DD9B2A-79AC-4BDA-9E6B-2C30E8E11EFB.jpeg

SOTD 04/10/2020

Finally decided to take the eponymous “Hulk”, my aluminum RazoRock Hawk V2 for a spin with the Feather Super. I thought to make it an icy lavender shave featuring RR Oil of Lavender Cream soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb, my usual Thayer's Lavender WH, and a finish with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner. Lavender always conjures up feelings of serenity. The ancient Romans believed it had a soothing effect on the lions and tigers being prepared for their Coliseum Christian lunch buffet. Being a bit of an olfactory idiot, this is one of the few scents that I'm able to recognize, and I do find it relaxing.

My Hawk was purchased about 8 months ago, and there's been a continuing issue with its weight. I like the feel of a hefty blade holder in hand. In fact all of my favorite shavers are a bit weighty. I have a neurological condition that leaves me a bit shaky. Trying to manage my tremors while exerting “negative pressure” and maintaining blade angle benefits from a heavier razor. The weight of a heavy razor drives the shave. The problem with aluminum razors is that the weight of the razor, at least with a Proline blade loaded led to “positive pressure” to counteract the lighter weight and nicks. Thus although I liked the feel of the razor, it never matched up to the quality shaves delivered by my Blackland Vector, and now my new Colonial General. Knowing this, I just ordered the new 316L SS Hawk To replace this aluminum razor, which I anticipate performing like the latter two razors mentioned. The only unknown variable in the equation is the role the Feather Super will play here.

My shave prep began following my shower with a cold water rinse of face and dome. My Viking Silvertip Badger whipped up a great lather for my first pass. I always begin my shave with my face, and I'm glad I did. The Hawk, as expected, cut close, but nowhere near the closeness achieved with the General or the Vector. In addition, I discovered many superficial weepers on both cheeks as well as my neck requiring the use of my styptic after that first WTG pass. I must have unconsciously exerted some slight positive pressure due to the lightness of the razor. That was it! I completed the first pass on the noggin using the General, and that was that. Despite the treated weepers, my second ATG pass was more buffing than full pass. The dome and face remained bloodless after the second buffing pass. The result was a BBS on the noggin and a DFS++ on the face, a more than acceptable result. I feel cool, clean and refreshed. Enjoy your day out there, and stay safe and healthy.

RAZOR: RazoRock Hulk Hawk V2 (face). Colonial General V2 (dome)
BLADE: Feather Super
PREP: Cold Water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: RazoRock Essential Oil of Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH finished with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner

Friday AM 2020-04-10

Rooney 1/1 Ivory Finest (22/45)
Eufros Rosa-Oud shaving soap
Wolfman WR2-SB/Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff
Schick Plus Platinum (9)
Ginger's Garden Rose Petals aftershave
U6a8ipH.jpg

10/4/20

Soap - Vitos Red
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow/Faux Horse
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Lord Classic Super Stainless (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Cooling Kick Nivea
AS - Brut Oceans

A really great shave today with the Lord blade and FHT. I've tried quite a few Lord blades and found them to be a bit variable in quality, but I think Lord Green Classic SS is one of the better blades they make.

Anyway chaps have a good Friday and start to the weekend.

Good Friday and Goodwill to all! Today's razor the Gillette Goodwill #160 set. I picked this up awhile back complete in the box with instructions etc. The razor presents as new with no cracks in the handle and only minor plate loss on the top cap in two small spots. The lacquered gold wash is in exceptionally good shape. Loaded up with a Kai SS.

Wanted a clean scent today and B&M Seville fit the bill perfectly. I love this scent and it is so beak-jamming-in-tub worthy! Love it!

This razor is so good! Smooth as can be but with just a bit more blade feel than my Gillette New LC. This is a great razor! Three pass BBS shave. Not bad for a maiden voyage! Topped off with the matching AS and some Acqua di Parma Colonia. Hope you enjoy a wonderful weekend. Stay safe.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Goodwill #160 Set - Gold 1931
Blade: Kai Super Stainless
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
Lather: Barrister & Mann Seville
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Acqua di Parma Colonia
1E8F2026-1DB6-46E5-B1DE-40E95A755DDF.jpeg

View attachment 53379

Sotd - Thursday the 9th - still just the ninth? - of April

Prep - facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso M
blade Supermax Titanium Plus (6)
brush - Stirling - two band fan
soap - Wickham 1912 - Apricus - vegan
post - witch hazel
a/s - none used
balm - Wickham - Apricus
scent - Dior - Sauvage edt.

Result? Just peachy - take the exemplary 1912 soap base and add the Apricus scent - bright, sunny, optimistic - ideal for a day such as this. Although there was no real reason too - finished off with Sauvage edt. - what else would you use with this soap? - the shave didn't seem complete without it. Good shaving all - yours - I.

@Digimonkey Iain, hope you are well - what do you think of the ATT Calypso M - a daily driver?

Sotd-10-04-20.jpg

Sotd - Friday the 10th of March

Prep - facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso M
blade - Supermax Titanium Plus - (7 and out)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Vreto - Mandarin and Orange
post - witch hazel
a/s - OSP - Orange and Patchouli
blam - Alvarez Gomez - Barberia
scent - Hermes - Orange Verte.

Result - all good - the last shave of the week. Every bit as good as the rest of them - I'm pleased to say. A weekend not shaving ahoy - because - (1) - its important to try to maintain the idea of the weekend - which I have found quite tricky - if you aren't working - the days might easily just turn into continuum - and (2) - much more importantly - it means a three day growth on Monday - my favourite. Have a good weekend - enjoy the shaves - yours - I.

@Ferry-shave - Calypso Mild - daily driver? - for me - just now - absolutely goddam right - I have used it for my last 15 shaves - and I don't see me picking up another razor on Monday next. Suits a sharp blade I found - cometh the hour - cometh the razor! - ha ha.

View attachment 53402

SOTD 04/10/2020

Finally decided to take the eponymous “Hulk”, my aluminum RazoRock Hawk V2 for a spin with the Feather Super. I thought to make it an icy lavender shave featuring RR Oil of Lavender Cream soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb, my usual Thayer's Lavender WH, and a finish with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner. Lavender always conjures up feelings of serenity. The ancient Romans believed it had a soothing effect on the lions and tigers being prepared for their Coliseum Christian lunch buffet. Being a bit of an olfactory idiot, this is one of the few scents that I'm able to recognize, and I do find it relaxing.

My Hawk was purchased about 8 months ago, and there's been a continuing issue with its weight. I like the feel of a hefty blade holder in hand. In fact all of my favorite shavers are a bit weighty. I have a neurological condition that leaves me a bit shaky. Trying to manage my tremors while exerting “negative pressure” and maintaining blade angle benefits from a heavier razor. The weight of a heavy razor drives the shave. The problem with aluminum razors is that the weight of the razor, at least with a Proline blade loaded led to “positive pressure” to counteract the lighter weight and nicks. Thus although I liked the feel of the razor, it never matched up to the quality shaves delivered by my Blackland Vector, and now my new Colonial General. Knowing this, I just ordered the new 316L SS Hawk To replace this aluminum razor, which I anticipate performing like the latter two razors mentioned. The only unknown variable in the equation is the role the Feather Super will play here.

My shave prep began following my shower with a cold water rinse of face and dome. My Viking Silvertip Badger whipped up a great lather for my first pass. I always begin my shave with my face, and I'm glad I did. The Hawk, as expected, cut close, but nowhere near the closeness achieved with the General or the Vector. In addition, I discovered many superficial weepers on both cheeks as well as my neck requiring the use of my styptic after that first WTG pass. I must have unconsciously exerted some slight positive pressure due to the lightness of the razor. That was it! I completed the first pass on the noggin using the General, and that was that. Despite the treated weepers, my second ATG pass was more buffing than full pass. The dome and face remained bloodless after the second buffing pass. The result was a BBS on the noggin and a DFS++ on the face, a more than acceptable result. I feel cool, clean and refreshed. Enjoy your day out there, and stay safe and healthy.

RAZOR: RazoRock Hulk Hawk V2 (face). Colonial General V2 (dome)
BLADE: Feather Super
PREP: Cold Water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: RazoRock Essential Oil of Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH finished with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner
I use the V1 Hawk head with a S/S Handle and it makes it much better, worth a try .

Back
Top Bottom