Brush - Simpson Duke 2 Best
Soap - Signature Soap Britannia
Razor - Ever Ready HFT Natural Angle / Rolls Razor
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S (2) - Rolls razor '52 / ,53"
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Tester Barts A
A/S - Pinaud Whisky Woods

Wk38 -21 (1).JPG
A strange 1 today, the plan was to use the above set up as planned, however, after last weeks Rolls shave and a bit raised interest in the Rolls i decided to see if i could hone 2 of the blades i knew were not shaving a 1952 & a 1953. (PS anyone know what the letter and large number represent?)

20210918_093722.jpg
So out came the Naniwa set.
I had knocked up a rig to hold the blade by stripping down a broken/spare Rolls set and removing the rolling mechanism, the only thing i could find for a "Handle" was a syringe part - to see if it would work, if it did i would come up with a better "Handle".

20210918_093347.jpg

Any way it became apparent very quickly that the angle my honing rig was cutting was incorrect as it was elongating the back of the bevel. I then decided to use a single piece of tape on the spine and this seemed to match the bevel perfectly.
So off i went, setting a new Bevel @1K on both then moving through a full progression to a 12K.
I could not help myself,
I had to try both blades and i decided each would get a run out during the 1st pass '52 on the left and '53 on the right.

I completed a face lather today, once the brush was loaded i just added droplets of water to the brush head until i had the consistency i required.
The 52 blade was smooth, i was really pleased with the way it was going, i nearly forgot to switch the razor, i am so glad i did, the '53 was even smoother! For me its a win!!.
I completed the WTG pass with the HFT and then the rolls got the better of me, i completed the ATG pass with them, again the '53 was smoother. I have ended up with a DFS+ finish.
The main thing i have learned today is that i can put a very usable edge on these blades, i just need to get the sequence down.

20210918_093408.jpg

Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Last edited:
SOTD 3.jpg

Soap - Stirling Ozark Mountain
Brush - Razorock Bruce 24mm
Bowl - Fine Lather Bowl
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable ( L2 )
Blade - Rapira Swedish Supersteel
A/S & Balm - Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol

1st pass #7, 2nd / 3rd passes & pickups #5.
Setting 5 is the sweetspot for me. Like the blade isn't even there but still efficient. Very comfortable and close.

62614752-5ACE-4933-A42E-22FB1544299C.jpeg

Prep: Shower with Baxter’s of California face scrub.

Pre: None.

Soap: Musgo

Brush: Shave Brush 24 Mm Oumobrush Silvertip In a Handmade Bog Oak Handle

Razor: Laef Twig.

Blade: Solimo.

Post: Alum, Baxter’s aftershave balm and Jean Paul Gautier’s Le Male.

An excellent 2 pass shave with the twig, just a smooth and Effortless shave!
Have a good weekend.

Gillette #58, Q-Ball
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Erasmic SS
Benjamin’s Bay Rum
Boot’s Freshwood ASB

I honestly don’t know why this Erasmic shaving soap in the bowl doesn’t get more mentions on here and other fora. It may not have tallow but is rich in glycerin, has lanolin and creates a thick, slick, cushioning lather with minimal effort plus projects a very pleasant, clean cologne scent. ‘Tis a winner for this smooth face.

These Israeli Q-Ball blades are very smooth but not so sharp and it’s one and done for me although Matron will use them up no doubt.

My 58 pattern needs a replate so I’ve entered into negotiations with said female boss of our small kingdom to have it done in gold at some point. “Perhaps your fiftieth.”, was the initial reply - oh well, at this rate, it’ll be here before in know it. Reckon those lovely handle ridges will look right posh in gold and it’s the only colour of razor I don’t have.

Have a grand weekend all,
Graeme

PS-Signature Lavender Soap*
Brush-Proraso Pro
Soap-Danum
Blade-Feather ProGuard
Razor-ES Claymore V2**
AS-Barts Sample C

I don’t usually shave on a Saturday but the Claymore arrived in the post so I thought I’d give it a gallop.

*On a whim I used this liquid hand soap as a ps with no problems and the lavender is a bit of a livener on the skin.

** I noticed Chris had used the new Claymore with a Kai Captain blade so had a root about and found some ProGuards which usually go in a Cobra. Excellent pairing although the Claymore is a bit more forgiving than the Cobra. Easy blade fit which isn’t always the case with some SE razors.

Sotd-18-09-21-2.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - Cobra Classic
blade - Proline (5)
brush - Simpson Special BB
soap - MT Dark Limes paste
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Limon
balm - Wickham Apricus
scent - Musgo Real - Orange Amber.

I'm not sure if there is a statute of limitation concerning the number of sotd posts in one day? In my defence my earlier one was yesterday and this was about an hour ago. I'm very fond of a citrus themed shave and the MT Dark Limes is one of my favourites - atypical for the scent class - as the name suggests dark and complex and not the 'fresh cut fruit' vibe that is more normal. Smells great and the soap base is one of the best I use. The Cobra used five days in a row with no ill effect - who'd have thought? Superb shave - the standard by which others are judged. Enjoy yours - I.

IMG_20210918_sm.jpg

While the soap and brush were excellent, as usual, and appropriate given we’re moving into early autumn, the focus of this shave was the Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 and it’s pairing with the Shark Super Chrome.

It’s not a well known razor (AFAIK) and comes from Giesen & Forsthoff’s Gentle Shaver line which is designed for beginners. It is on the mild side and yet it's efficient, especially if you use a blade as sharp as a Feather. With other blades, and I have tried a number, it is simply superb.

It's light and easy to use and will get the job done smoothly. It’s better on my face than a Merkur 34C and approaching the efficiency of the AS-D2 with a feather blade. It has only one downside, which is the corners of the base plate are sharp. You won’t cut yourself but if you tilt the head when reapplying it to your face, you’ll feel it poke you.

So if you like a mild yet efficient shave, with a well balanced razor with a SS handle, it’s definitely worth finding one. I’ve only seen them on eBay but things may be different in the EU , as the company are German .

Razor: Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (2)
Soap: Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Brush: Stirling Butterscotch Flattop BB
Pre-shave: Shower
Post-shave: Not needed
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper

Back
Top Bottom