Saturday Morning​

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: T+H West Indian Limes
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Chinese Gillette Super Thin
Balm: T+H West Indian Limes
Cologne: T+H West Indian Limes

Second day with this blade and a good BBS finish. Blade just starting to dull.

13OCT2012.jpg

Greetings

Saturday 13th October 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Junior 1912 Baton Handle
Blade: Feather SE with spine added
Brush: Vie Long 13061M Horse
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root
Aftershave: Wilkinson Sword Sensitive Balm

UK Rob recently and very kindly sent me a couple of Feather SE blades to try, he has been experimenting with adding spines to the blades to use in a ER 1912.

I have done likewise and I must say this is one of the best shaves I have ever had, I was a little cautious as I really dislike Feather DE blades on the grounds they are just too sharp and make my face sore; these are totally different, smooth as silk.

These blades with the spine added are about 1.5 mm deeper than standard single edge blades thus the only SE razors I could get them to fit in were the 1912's.

I have been trying them spineless in other SE's but find that in those they fit (all but the three Micromatics) they move backwards away from the blade stops if the razor is tapped sharply, I surmised they would do likewise if you attempted to shave with them.

With the spine fitted I found that in all the models of ER/GEM's I have (other than the 1912's) the blade cover will not quite close.

Removing old spines and fitting them to the Feather blades is simplicity itself and takes seconds, the only down side to all of this is the high cost of the Feather SE blades.

Regards
Dick.
[attachment=5828]

Attachments

• DSC03433.JPG
    DSC03433.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 39
Saturday
Merkur Futur (set on 3.5)
Personna, Red (12th shave, at least)
Edwin Jagger BBB
T&H Rose cream

Aramis 900 EDT (old stuff, brown bottle)

Yardley English Lavender Brilliantine on the 'tache.

Gillette Old Type
Schick Ultra Platinum (1)
Vie Long 13061
La Toja soap stick
Witch hazel
Proraso Balsamo dopobarba

Floris JF

La Toja and Palmolive have definitely got me into soap sticks. I've Arko, Speick and Lea sticks waiting in the wings but this La Toja could be the one stick to rule them all! Lathers beautifully. Especially with cheaper, scrubbier brushes; i.e. horsehair. The perfect desert island soap...

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Dubl Duck special No.1
Simpsons 'Rover' Manchurian Butterscotch
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm
Penhaligons Endymion Cologne

I think I look forward to my saturday morning shaves most of all. Whats not to like.

Prep L'Occitane Cedarwood Soap
Razor Vintage Japanese Fon Golden Star
Brush Le Tuft Chubby 1.5 in Lignum Vitae
Palmolive
Alum & Witch Hazel
Clinique Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile EDT

Jamie

Super shave two pass shave BBS.

mf.jpg

Hot water, couple of drops of shave oil followed by a coating of Arko soap.
Vulfix Boar brush (well broken in) which bought up a really good lather after a bit of effort. I usualy use ToB cream so it seemed like it took a while to lather the Arko.

Used a Gilette New for the cutting, nice and clean & close.

Splashed with cold water and a wipe over with an Alum block.

Job done.

Afternoon, gents.

Prep: Soap and Glory's Fresh, Man
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Gillette Superthin from Vietnam (1)
Brush: Horsehair No.6 from Bestshave
Shave soap: The Shave Den 4711
A/S: Homemade "Kölnisch Wasser" splash
Cologne: James Bronnley Gentlemens Eau de Toilette Agua de Colonia

Smooth and very close - almost BBS. I don't go looking for BBS's, but if they come to me, I won't turn them away. I love the James Bronnley: to my nose it's close to Acqua di Parma Colonia for very little money.

Prep Pre Shave
Razorock Moroccan Secret
Omega Boar 11126
Merkur33c
Astra sp
Witch Hazel Gel
Prep Post Shave.

The Prep pre and post work well but with camphor as one of the ingredients
you do smell a bit like a bonfire.The soap is very nice and the brush is a star.

Friday evening

Hot shower with moosehead face scrub
Proraso Pre shave balm
Real Shave company cream with Kent "unknown" brush
Muhle R89 with Supermax Titanium
Alum block
Nivea post shave balm

An excellent shave - BBS, 3 passes, one tiny nick, getting the hang of this now! :icon_razz:

Saturday

Feather AC SS
Feather Pro Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
Provence Santé Shaving Soap

Back to a Pro blade today. I think that's a whole week of shaves without using any aftershave product at all. For some reason, there does not seem to have been the need.

Ian

Re: RE: SOTD 13th - 19th October

Burgundy said:
La Toja and Palmolive have definitely got me into soap sticks. I've Arko, Speick and Lea sticks waiting in the wings but this La Toja could be the one stick to rule them all! Lathers beautifully. Especially with cheaper, scrubbier brushes; i.e. horsehair. The perfect desert island soap...

Yes, it's the one in my wet bag for when I go away every time :).

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Kinfolks Blue Steel Special, 5/8"
Brush: Neep #947 yew ball and bobbin silvertip
Soap: Monsavon
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Green Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Saturday:

Heading out for a couple of beers with my friends in a bit, so an afternoon/evening shave to tidy up.

La Toja cream
Omega Silvertip
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM Blade
Professor Blighty's Harlequin AS
LEA Balm
DR Harris Windsor EdT

Very nice BBS shave.

[attachment=5840]

Attachments

• SOTD.jpg
    SOTD.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 29
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Caswell Massey badger
1958 Executive/Iridium
RL Safari SS
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
no EdT, for some odd reason

Started off the shave with a Webly/Chinese Gillette Blue, but stopped after one pass. I think the blade's kaput. Got two nice shaves outta this one.

Heh, used a brush found at a garage sale yesterday. It's part of a set that includes a stand and M3 handle. The brush knot is sure not a silvertip, both by the mostly black color and performance. Knew that going in, and I wasn't expecting much anyway. Pretty darn scritchy, but it lathered up ok. Found out I didn't care for the handle design and how it felt in my hand. No big deal, as it was extremely inexpensive. I may or may not try it again, and I'd guess it would get better when it broken in. This goofy set sells for $135 on the CM website.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Faux_Horn_Shave_Set.jpg
    Faux_Horn_Shave_Set.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 13
Sturday 10-13-12. MUSIC: Johnny Winter.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5scQhinlvlg[/video]

Afeitado_2012-10-1322-1.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Rooney 1/2 silvertip - Merkur 25C - Astra green #1 - Pre JASÖN - Sir Irisch Moos shaving soap - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Sir Irisch Moos - ASL Sir Irisch Moos.

muhle r41
derby
shavemac #25 silvertip
dr harris almond cream
vintage shulton old spice AS
boots no7 post shave balm

fantastic shave. bbs, no blood, very little irritation. id read a while back about the derby being a good match for the r41, and its true. this is probably the best blade ive tried in the r41, it just works :)

Back
Top Bottom