Single edge razor of the day.

Thursday 26th August
EndGem Speed 3dot
Gem Stainless Coated #6
RW8CVYJ.jpg

Monday 30th August

AM-JKLXle75RQBslEsTMJJcQ2Gk5tTWLcqAw8VODwkZcKNzTMtgI2YMWP66iJi7UuQvyR-Ad7BKOXWk4kZYNLK8EkqoaI1EilHEVj4EJCEa44asoDTNpRURlhOhV5y3QQIohiDUeY2wvGso5hYfuOlHaVhQnIw=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
L'Occitane Cade Shaving Brush
RazoRock 400 Limited Edition w/Plissoft Noir 24mm
RazoRock Hawk (Regular) w/KCG Handle
Feather Professional (1)
Pashana Original Aftershave

That's my setup for the week to come ...

Well, I am very happy indeed with my first play with this Hawk. I'm using the regular plate to start and have to say, it delivered exactly what I wanted from it - much like the Star/Treet/PAL/Personna double edge razor, it's mild, still capable, neutral and entirely forgettable. I mean all of that in a good way, as what I'm looking for is a shave that doesn't come with all the choices and was just a tad annoyed that there were three plates to choose from.

I keep an extensive collection of razors and while my collection centres around the 1912 and the Tech, I have many, many of those models as well as a good number peripheral to those models. When it comes to shaving, there's a choice to be made: the razor, largely, then also the blade when it comes to double edge.

I've settled on Feather blades and there is a function to each of the blades that I keep in: the Professional, the ProSuper and the ProGuard. I think those three, coupled with the two plates on the Hawk will give me a 6 strong adjustable selection.

I'm going to run through the first time with the regular plate and then try out the same blade in the aggressive next week. I went with a long handle, as there seems to be some concensus that a long handle balances well and went with the KCG for a very modern feel. My first impression was that the engle was very pronounced, but immediately found that I did not need to make much adjustment with the handle; just shave. Compared to the Yaqi AC that I'm used to, in order to get smoothness the handle does need to be angled by quite a margin, almost uncomfortable unless you're used to getting, say, the 1912 or Micromatic or Featherweight absolutely bob-on. The Hawk angles more like a double edge.

Yeah! Very pleased indeed! Also, very much looking forward to trying the more aggressive plate ...

Back
Top Bottom