Simpson Chubby 3: Best v Super?

Just wanted some thoughts on which people prefer... Is there much noticable difference? Think the super comes in at around £200 and the best more like £140.

Thanks!

Mike

Simpson Super is pure silver tip and a much more refined and sorted hair compared to Best, that isn't necessarily better but it has a different feel and you are paying for the extra processing that is required.

How do you use your current brush? I ask because The Chubby 3 is just about the largest brush that Simpson make and biggest won't necessarily mean a better experience for you.

I currently have a Trumpers GT1 (which i think is equivilent to a Duke 1) and use Trumpers Limes cream... sometimes soap. I find this brush too small and doesnt hold enough water/lather. I much prefer a wide handle, but will i notice the difference between the best and the super?

Don't take it the wrong way but I don't know if you will notice the difference, I notice because as an enthusiastic collector and user I'm looking for those small differences.
I'm just trying to help you make the right decision about your next brush purchase that isn't just based on scale or cost for that matter.

My Chubby 1 has virtually the same size knot as a Duke 3 (GT3) which in turn is larger than your GT1. The differences in knot characteristics between a 20mm, 25mm and 30mm diameter knot are not linear they are nearer exponentially different not better or worse just different.

ch3e.jpg

ch3top.jpg

I'm sure you will be very happy with either hair type. If I was recommending a brush and you were willing to spend that £140 as a cream and occasional soap user I'd opt for Chubby 2 2 band Super. If you frequently use a bowl or scuttle I'd have a look at something with a longer handle like a Polo 8 or 10 or larger Persian jar in the same hair. In your position I just wouldn't recommend Chubby 3 and I have one, it's massive, uses a lot of product and isn't the most practical for daily use.

Simpsons Best really are superb brushes. The Super (silvertip) is very soft, in my opinion it's not worth the extra cost, the Best is just so good. As to brush sizes, of course it's a matter of personal preference. I find my Chubby 2 Best a monster and more of a fun experience than a practical brush.

If you look very carefully at the image of the CH3 Super and CH1 Best you can identify chopped dark hair in the CH1 that doesn't really occur in the CH3 at least not of the chopped variety.

The Super hair is more refined and it does feel denser, firmer and more luxurious because of it. Performance difference is negligible but I do prefer it, as Fido says Simpson Best isn't too shabby either. Is it worth it? Only you can judge.

I had a CH 3 in Super. The tips were very soft. It also has backbone in abundance because of the shear density of the large knot. This is a bad boy of a brush.....

Yes the CH3 is a big boy of brushes, I love it but would find it hard to recommend one to someone else. I think Antdads suggestion is perfect, a CH2 (or similar size) in 2 band hair is as good as it gets, especially if this is to be your only Simpsons for a while ;)

Thanks for all the input guys!

So, where can i get a 2 band super chubby 2? Anyone recommend a good site? Am gonna ring Trumpers tomorrow and see what their mark up is on their rebranded chubby's, though doubt they'll do the chubby 2 - 2 band.

Thnx

Mike

I've had a Chubby 2 in Best and Super, and a Chubby 1 in Super. The Best started out a little bit scritchy but softened up after a couple of weeks' use. It splayed like mad and became way too big and soft to enjoy fully.

The Super Chubbies' hair seemed a bit thicker, and I wouldn't say they were particularly soft. There was scritch there throughout the time I had them, and I used them 30+ times. They were as scritchy as my Duke 3 Best I had.

Of course, this may have been a particular batch of Super hair. The current lot may be different again. It really does pay to inspect a brush by hand when you're spending this kind of money. Brushes really do vary, which is to be expected given they are a natural, hand made product.

John

Does having the 2-band make any difference to the softness? Just spoke to Trumpers... v expensive! Topping out at £245 for the Ch3 in Super. They apparently don't do 2-bands cause they don't think they are good!? It was a girl i spoke to though who hopefully doesn't do too much shaving in the face area!

Mike

Well being fair they have to say that, they are not going to say the volume and profit is too low for them. Honestly go to one of the vendors here. I have bought Simpsons from all that stock them and they are all great.

A CH3 in super is listed at £187.50 in VAT from Diamond Edge, take 10% off for TSR and add a few quid on for postage and it is still below £170.

I personally feel the two band hair is slightly softer at the tip (marginally) than Super but as mentioned before give a best a few weeks use and it is still a nice soft brush. The main advantage of the two band hair is it tends to be stiffer with less flex, however the CH3 is a really dense brush and I do sometimes question if I notice the extra stiffness with 2 band more on the smaller brushes more than the big dense ones but I bought it now and am not going to sell it to buy a super.

I know how heart wrenching this can be and even after you pull the trigger there will still be doubts. Make a choice based on what you are comfortable spending and enjoy it, don't look back.

Back
Top Bottom