Should You Buy A Synthetic Fibre Shaving Brush?

Badger Hair or Synthetic Hair Shaving Brushes - which is best?

• Total voters
WOW!! I didn't expect to see that a synthetic would be a first choice for shave enthusiasts!!

If a Silver Tip Badger brush would perform better, I wonder why.. :confused:

It won't necessarily perform better. My Shavemac feels more luxurious, but the synthetics are lather beasts, dry within a couple of hours and still look brand new despite lots of use in that the knot has not changed. I might give a slight nod to the lather from the badger, but it is slight, and the synthetics were half the cost of the Shavemac. IMO the latest generation of synthetics are excellent.

Excellent thread for someone returning to the art of shaving with a bit more heart after years of playing it 'tins and cartridges'. Brushes is one area for ponder. Presently using just a cheap 'Body Shop' synthetic (while away at sea) and thinking 'it does the job'. Back home I have a boar hair and I can't say it is for me and hence stayed at home. I also wondered how much difference a badger brush would make or is it just a 'purist' thing?

At least I am not just going to be looking at brushes and thinking synthetics are just a modern cheap solution and give them serious consideration. A few ideas scattered in among this thread and please to see the thread exist.

Excellent thread for someone returning to the art of shaving with a bit more heart after years of playing it 'tins and cartridges'. Brushes is one area for ponder. Presently using just a cheap 'Body Shop' synthetic (while away at sea) and thinking 'it does the job'. Back home I have a boar hair and I can't say it is for me and hence stayed at home. I also wondered how much difference a badger brush would make or is it just a 'purist' thing?

At least I am not just going to be looking at brushes and thinking synthetics are just a modern cheap solution and give them serious consideration. A few ideas scattered in among this thread and please to see the thread exist.

You definitely need to try something better than the Body Shop brush. I'd recommend one of the Muhle synthetics being discussed here, or a reasonable badger brush (Vulfix do some good, reasonably-priced ones) if you're not too worried about using an animal product, which I presume you're not given that you have a boar brush.

Personally I couldn't care less. I chuck the brush in a wash basin full of hot water. If that ruins the knot/handle after 5 years years - so what? Mind you.. my most expensive brush was 35 quid or thereabouts..

I do the same. Most of my brushes cost more than that, but if they're not up to getting wet then they shouldn't be sold as shaving brushes.

When I started shaving way back last century a brush was a brush and as old and grumpy I am trying to keep it that way but at the same time I really enjoy reading and learning from forum discussions basic or esoteric.

My synthetic brush got very soft after two months of use. I don't really think I should get a badger one now. I started loving this cheap little thing.

I'm new to wet shaving and after looking around for advise on You tube etc I naturally thought Badger was the only way to go. I duly bought a Simpsons. Now though I'm changing my mind. I know how the Chinese treat other animals and I too cannot believe they would treat a Badger any differently to an Angora Rabbit and for anyone who has seen the images of how the hairs are harvested from them believe me you will never forget it. So in the end the job of a brush is to transfer soap onto your face and that is all it does I'm happy to give a synthetic a go.

Back
Top Bottom