should i get this or am i better off getting something else?

The blade should "catch" on hair most easily against the grain (watch out for nicks though). But you've already tried that.

When I started out audible feedback helped a lot. If I even left the tap running in the sink, I couldn't hear the "skritch" of the blade. A quiet environment helped me hear when the blade was cutting and so find the right angle to hold the razor.

EDIT: didn't see your post. You've already tried that too...
Yea from day one I've always used my ears to listen attentively to the razor making sounds when shaving the hair off, I wear glasses and contact lenses so even if I'm right next to the mirror I can't see anything, I'm bound as a bat lol
So yea I'm always on the listen and like you say it needs to be quiet enough to hear it, have to close tap even if it's running

Good advice mate, I'll take it on board appreciate it

No has ever said that to me and never has it crossed my mind to shave the lather and not the hair, interesting approach, it's like looking at it from a different angle tbh

I've got an rectangular alum block I always put water on it then go all over my head with it, do you think I should get a styptic pencil and only use that on nicks and cuts instead of using the alum block all over my head? Hope I'm making sense mate

Quick question bud which may come across like a stupid one but here goes....
what's the difference between aftershave and aftershave lotion? Is it just two in one? What's better to use? You know which causes the irritation to settle down quicker?
I've been traditional wet shaving for just over 2 years.

You don't need aftershave if you're using alum.

Also, stop overanalysing things on the internet. The best thing to do is just get on with it and learn.

Good advice mate, I'll take it on board appreciate it

No has ever said that to me and never has it crossed my mind to shave the lather and not the hair, interesting approach, it's like looking at it from a different angle tbh

I've got an rectangular alum block I always put water on it then go all over my head with it, do you think I should get a styptic pencil and only use that on nicks and cuts instead of using the alum block all over my head? Hope I'm making sense mate

Quick question bud which may come across like a stupid one but here goes....
what's the difference between aftershave and aftershave lotion? Is it just two in one? What's better to use? You know which causes the irritation to settle down quicker?
Questions are never stupid!..yes, get a styptic pencil and use it on cuts & nicks, they are much better than alum..even though alum does the same thing make sure you rinse with cold water over the cut or nick after a few minutes after you apply. The difference between aftershave & aftershave balm is most aftershaves are alcohol based which acts an antiseptic., aftershave balm the balm is a semi-solid moisturizer which is better to used if you are experiencing lots of roughness after your shave...Hope this helps. Regards. B (y)

Last edited:
I've been traditional wet shaving for just over 2 years.

You don't need aftershave if you're using alum.

Also, stop overanalysing things on the internet. The best thing to do is just get on with it and learn.

Ohh didn't know that, I usually use alum block then the aftershave followed by aftershave balm

Does alum block come in any sort of lotion at all do you know? Or like my post above I'm better off using a syptic pencil only on cut and nicks?

Yea I gave a habit of overthinking things,
K just like to learn and ask questions

Questions are never stupid!..yes, get a styptic pencil and use them on cuts & nicks, they are much better than alum..even though alum does the same thing make sure you rinse with cold water over the cut or nick after a few minutes after you apply. The difference between aftershave & aftershave balm is most aftershave splash is an almost alcohol based product which acts an antiseptic., aftershave balm the balm is a semi-solid moisturizer which is better to used if you are experiencing lots of roughness after your shave...Hope this helps. Regards. B (y)
Okay cool, yea might get a syptic pencil then

What do you use aftershave or aftershave lotion? Or do you rotate?

Another noob question what's the best procedure after finishing shaving?
As in what first aftershave or aftershave Balm and when to use alum block/syptic pencil (I'd needed that is)

Okay cool, yea might get a syptic pencil then

What do you use aftershave or aftershave lotion? Or do you rotate?

Another noob question what's the best procedure after finishing shaving?
As in what first aftershave or aftershave Balm and when to use alum block/syptic pencil (I'd needed that is)
I rotate.but normally i use a aftershave ,fpllowed by aftershave balm or a moisturiser. My mature skin type can take most things i apply to it, however what works for me, may not work for you.. Experiment with different methods and find a happy medium which your skin type likes...Regards. B (y)

Does alum block come in any sort of lotion at all do you know? Or like my post above I'm better off using a syptic pencil only on cut and nicks?

Alum works fine in block form. Just wet the skin first, and maybe wet the tip of the block as well.

I've got a stick of "perspi-rock" which is sold as a (scent-free) deodorant. You can use it for that as well.

Alum can irritate the skin so watch out for that.

These days I mostly only use Alum if I have a cut I need to close up. I'll let it sit on the skin for a minute or two then rinse off with cold water. I used it more often when I was learning for the instant feedback on how clumsy I'd been.

Alum works fine in block form. Just wet the skin first, and maybe wet the tip of the block as well.

I've got a stick of "perspi-rock" which is sold as a (scent-free) deodorant. You can use it for that as well.

These days I mostly only use Alum if I have a cut I need to close up. I'll let it sit on the skin for a minute or two then rinse off with cold water. I used it more often when I was learning for the instant feedback on how clumsy I'd been.

Hmm I might be better with this perspi rock instead of the syptic pencil

had a quick look online so just to clarify do you have to dtwist the bottom of the perspi rock to make it come out? Like a roll on deodorant?

I've seen geofatboy on YouTube use s good one when he's finished with his shave, I assume it's the same thing I think anyway

just ordered this perpi rock, hopefully will do the trick and last long by the looks of it, thanks for the suggestion better then buying the smaller syptic pencil imo

The rounded top is nice v a square block with sharper edges.
yea thats what i wanted specifically because i thought if its rounded it will be more smoother when rubbing it on my head,
compared to the rectangular alum block i got, which can be a bit more rough when rubbing it around tbh, thanks again mate :)

Back
Top Bottom