Shoe Polishing assistance required.

Count of Undolpho said:
My Grandad once told me they had a trough of dubbin in the changing room at the pit he worked at, so the lads could stand and stick their boots into it one at a time then just scrape off the "excess". Not sure if it's apocryphal but there you go.

I don't think Grandad was telling tall tales. I worked underground for 14years and there was indeed a large tub of a grease like product (I don't think it was dubbin) at the pinhead baths (dirty side). The idea being that one often worked in wet conditions underground, at the end of the shift you would keep your boots in a dry locker where they'd set like concrete overnight. The grease would provide a modicum of lubricity to the leather.

It was more my memory I was questioning, than my grandad's he died a long time ago.
Many people have said that Parade Gloss is no good for bulling. It is fantastic stuff for us civvies though! gives a tough, long lasting shine with little effort. I'm a convert, if you couldn't tell.

Speaking for myself, I have found that "normal" Kiwi is much better for bulling boots and shoes than Kiwi Parade Gloss. I understand that, since parade gloss contains silicone, it is harder to re-do the bull at a later data should you need to - or at least that is what I have been told! Personally, I just find it nicer to work with and more natural smelling.

I have some beeswax sticks and found that heating the leather first and melting beeswax into it gives a lovely surface on which to bull (with a Sylvet cloth of course). The only problem is that you sacrifice comfort for appearance as the boots / shoes are as flexible as concrete blocks!

David

as for the pit "dubbin" it was part of the apprentice initiation at our pit...never went near the boots tho...more mid body experience...hehehe

a bugger to scrub off the body

Brogues are country attire. Why are you bulling 'em?

Waterproofing is ideal - they're going to get dirty and wet, surely?

BUT - If you really, really need a deep shine on your black shoes then every 5 shines use Oxblood / dark red polish.

Black shoe polish is actually very, very dark blue and as such will only reflect blue light. Add some red in there are they will have a deep, wet shine to them that will set your shoes several steps apart from the average chap.

joe mcclaine said:
Brogues are country attire. Why are you bulling 'em?

Waterproofing is ideal - they're going to get dirty and wet, surely?

BUT - If you really, really need a deep shine on your black shoes then every 5 shines use Oxblood / dark red polish.

Black shoe polish is actually very, very dark blue and as such will only reflect blue light. Add some red in there are they will have a deep, wet shine to them that will set your shoes several steps apart from the average chap.

Vinnster not only strong like bull ... But smart as fck !!!

Johnny(admiringly)O. \:icon_razz:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/polish-creams-cleaners-price-asc/products/saphir-renomat

Or possibly

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/polish-creams-cleaners-price-asc/products/saphir-leather-saddle-soap

Good luck!

As a cadet, I was told that the best way to strip shoes was to use a hot, damp fairly open weave cloth of some sort; heat softens the polish, whilst the cloth wipes it off.
Although the dubbin is a lot waxier, old shoe polish itself can become waxy and hard over time, so it should hopefully work .

This approach may also strip away the underlying layers.
My chosen 'quick and passable results technique is to apply a thicker layer of polish, melt it in, use the off brush to even it out, then apply a few more layers the usual' on, off, buff, repeat '.
With regard to melting the polish, make sure to use a flameless heat source such as a heat gun or hair dryer (swmbo permitting) .
The way I had the technique explained to me was that the 'pores' of the leather absorb polish, thereby giving a uniform surface to polish - ie, a good thing. However, the polish is a blend of waxes, pigment and solvents-some of which may be literally burned away if heat comes from a naked flame, a too hot or too sustained heat source - ie, a bad thing.

Good luck, and I hope this helps
Regards
Rodders

Great idea on the Oxblood - first time I've ever heard that. Always been a parade gloss man myself.

I used to Dubbin the leather footballs at primary school and they always needed doing after a game so maybe kick your shoes around a cinder pitch!

Back
Top Bottom