Shield GEM Razor

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
My Shield GEM razor has just arrived but I think I might be having a moment. No matter what I try to do I can't seem to get the handle and head to tighten, the baseplate wiggles. I've tried this with with and without a blade just to try and see what's going on but no joy. It almost seems like the post is angled too far forward forcing the top of the handle to be angled with the bottom of the baseplate. I've put a couple of pics below, the handle will not tighten further than this unless I really try to force it.

Anyone else picked this razor up and experienced this or seen mention of it elsewhere?

Note: This may be me having a special moment, I am in the middle of work so my brain is fried...and if this is the case and it's something simple then it will be doubly embarrassing as I've also emailed Boti as well.

20221215_142519.jpg20221215_142528.jpg20221215_142534.jpg
20221215_142521.jpg

Might be a daft suggestion but there's not some metal shavings in the handle, like this other thread?

I've had a stainless handle previously where I needed to tap the thread (M5) a little more and this solved the problem. That's probably not going to be so easy with a Titanium handle.

Might be a daft suggestion but there's not some metal shavings in the handle, like this other thread?

Took a gander down the handle, can't seem to see any filings, but it was worth a look!

I've had a stainless handle previously where I needed to tap the thread (M5) a little more and this solved the problem. That's probably not going to be so easy with a Titanium handle.
Aye most likely not, equally it's the same post type as the sabre so I'd be a little nervous about messing around with it.

I'm really hoping I'm doing something daft, I'll have a play again tonight!

Took a gander down the handle, can't seem to see any filings, but it was worth a look!

Aye most likely not, equally it's the same post type as the sabre so I'd be a little nervous about messing around with it.

I'm really hoping I'm doing something daft, I'll have a play again tonight!
Give the handle and head a go on different handles and heads - that will help you identify the problem part

Give the handle and head a go on different handles and heads - that will help you identify the problem part
Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

Nothing is too obvious for my current state of mind!

Tried the handle with the sabre head, no drama.

Tried the head with the vector and CG Handle, and same issue. Couldn't use the sabre handle as the top is too wide for the recess.

Just seems odd that it would be that far out of tolerance.

Last edited:
That is disappointing. My suggestion ... does it still wiggle with a blade fitted? My thinking it, the open part at the back which accomodates the spine might have some play until the gap is filled with a blade spine. That said, if the handle is nipping up on an angle to the baseplate, that sounds really wrong to me, like the thread has been cross-threaded into the top cap?

Regardless, it doesn't sound right. Hopefully, someone else who has one can confirm.

I'm rather taken with this model myself, so keen to know what you think of it.

My suggestion ... does it still wiggle with a blade fitted?
Have you tried tightening it with a blade inserted
That was where my head went as well initially, still end up with the same thing.
20221215_140024.jpg

The blade holding method is a carbon copy of the sabre which is able to be tightened sans blade but I had to check anyway.

But just to add to the confusion I thought I'd try another array of handles which do work (WRH2/7 and Gillette Old Ball end) with and without blade, switch back to the supplied titanium handle and it doesn't. I really don't get this!

That was where my head went as well initially, still end up with the same thing.
View attachment 97554

The blade holding method is a carbon copy of the sabre which is able to be tightened sans blade but I had to check anyway.

But just to add to the confusion I thought I'd try another array of handles which do work (WRH2/7 and Gillette Old Ball end) with and without blade, switch back to the supplied titanium handle and it doesn't. I really don't get this!
Poorly machined handle threads then. Should be easy for them to replace it. Let us know what they say.

Warning, what follows is a ramble because I'm trying to remain patient...but I'm starting to get irritated.

Ongoing issues with this thing. Posted in the acquisition page a while ago that they sent me a replacement handle (though still incorrect) and kindly gave me an SE AC head (it's stamped boti rather than Shield, though that probably makes no difference) to see whether the handle would resolve the issue. Sadly the new handle didn't.

I'm trying to give boti the benefit of the doubt but it seems like I'm being given the runaround considering I raised this issue with them in December.

They've told me on a few occasions that the production run for the GEM head isn't ready yet, which obviously suggests it is in process. Now they're telling me they don't have a production run planned at all for the GEM head and they're not going to be doing any runs going forward on the handle I had originally wanted. They now seem to think the provision of the SE AC replacement was compensation, I would be fine with this if I used the AC format frequently, but in the same breath they've said they will send a head as soon as one is available.

This all seems rather odd as Shield is still posting on Instagram with new manufactures and the Shield store on AliExpress seem to allow ordering of the GEM head and handle I originally wanted.

I've said I'm happy for them to arrange collection (on multiple occasions) to have the original razor returned, and now I've said they can arrange collection for all of it and I'll order through the Shield store instead.

I feel like I'm being reasonable but others may not think so. I do seem to have the option to raise something through PayPal.

I'm after opinions on what I see as options:

1. Do I remain patient and allow boti more time to resolve

2. Do I raise something with PayPal and hope for the best

3. Do I raise a question on the shield page on instagram to see what's going on and if I can get help to resolve (this would be a last resort, I don't want to cause a storm in a teacup)

That's where my head is going at the moment, I'm loathe to fork out the cash to return it myself though especially for something faulty, it's liable to cost me a fortune to send it back with the appropriate insurance.

I'll see what I get back, if anything, from this most recent email exchange. It's a shame as my dealings with boti have been good up until now

Back
Top Bottom