Shellfish and Seafood

Scottish creel caught Langoustine are in a World of their own , superior to Lobster in taste in my opinion .
Unfortunately they attract a premium price , the vast majority of Langoustine , Norway Lobster , Scampi , Prawns , Dublin Bay Prawns , call them what you will are out of a trawl net , dragged around the mud on the sea bed for several hours , they just don’t taste the same.

I like fish and seafood a lot.Whist in the Pacific( Solomon Islands) on a very small island,we hosted fishermen catching Trochus Lumea, which has Mother of Pearl like interior. These large sea snails were boiled up in 45 gallon Drums to empty the Shell. We ate the meat which was rather like a Giant Whelk.
When working on a larger island and living at a District centre ,I cooked a Turtle Casserole as a first meal for nurse living next door,she later became my wife.Tasted somewhere between chicken and fillet steak.I was given the Turtle meat by Islanders. We also got nice large fresh water prawns from a nearby river.Occasionally we were lucky and got large Crayfish.

Last edited:
I like fish and seafood a lot.Whist in the Pacific( Solomon Islands) on a very small island,we hosted fishermen catching Trochus Lumea, which has Mother of Pearl like interior. These large sea snails were boiled up in 45 gallon Drums to empty the Shell. We ate the meat which was rather like a Giant Whelk.
When working on a larger island and living at a District centre ,I cooked a Turtle Casserole as a first meal for nurse living next door,she later became my wife.Tasted somewhere between chicken and fillet steak.I was given the Turtle meat by Islanders. We also got nice large fresh water prawns from a nearby river.
Wow Mike ,
What a experience , memories for life .

Can’t follow Mike’s story, but on the East coast for a few days so did my usual Yesterday and had a couple of Lindisfarne oysters as a starter, lovely, real taste of the sea.
I’ve been to the farm , met the owner , toured the farm , tasted the Oysters straight out of the water , it’s set in a stunningly beautiful location .
I don’t like Oysters though :sick:

Wow Mike ,
What a experience , memories for life .
Hi Derrick,
I was extremely lucky as a Royal Engineer to be posted to both the Solomon Islands and The Gilbert Islands ( now Kiribati ), to work with local workforce in construction of roads and Airfields. Very pleased to say that the Airfields are still in operation and serving more remote Islands. As you say memories for life which money cannot buy.

I always used to say to my wife when she asked me what I wanted to eat - Lobster Thermidor.
Of course I never got it and eating it out can be a lottery, as so much inferior imported Lobster is on sale.
I have eaten a lot when in the Gilbert’s ( Kiribati), when my local storeman fished at night for our local workforce and families.
Probably the best was at my sons Wedding, as the brides uncle provided 50 that he caught off the West coast of Wales.My wife does not like Seafood , so I had to eat a whole one.

44079681-25A4-4164-BFFA-BBEDC0D53E76.jpeg

Have never had a lot experience with fish but I am trying to broaden my experience. Monkfish and Squid are now two of my favourites and I occasionally have mussles. When I was young choices offered to be at home were Fish fingers or poached smoked Haddock. I am always amused when I remember something which happened at one of the hospitals I worked at. Fish was on the menu and one of my colleagues called the restaurant to enquire.

Colleague: What fish is on the menu?

Catering Staff: Frozen ...of course

I love seafood (with some exceptions) but the worst thing I had was on Okinawa. It was a fermented cannonball jellyfish topped with a strawberry. Let's just say the strawberry lulled me into a false sense of security. I really enjoyed almost everything I ate out there but the jellyfish and the nattō were beyond the pale. Okinawan roulette, eating off a menu in a script you can't read?

I love seafood (with some exceptions) but the worst thing I had was on Okinawa. It was a fermented cannonball jellyfish topped with a strawberry. Let's just say the strawberry lulled me into a false sense of security. I really enjoyed almost everything I ate out there but the jellyfish and the nattō were beyond the pale. Okinawan roulette, eating off a menu in a script you can't read?
I knew I'd been in Japan too long when I started enjoying nattō:poop:

I knew I'd been in Japan too long when I started enjoying nattō:poop:

I loved the country. But their food? Very questionable

In general though I do love seafood in all forms and do try to eat something seafoodish at least twice a week. Perhaps my most memorable was Razor fish in Almeria and baby octopus in Cyprus. Beautiful.

If anyone is in to smoked fish I can highly recommend Alfred Enderby in Grimsby. Both their salmon and haddock are sublime. No dyes, no flavouring, just damn good old fashion methodology and some rank old smoke houses which are the key to it all.

I can't say Conche was 'all that'. I couldn't see what use was an aphrodisiac when I was hammered with my mates and little chance of getting much further in to town than the local dock bar we were at.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom