Shellfish and Seafood

Something a little different from a south Walian. Laverbread. Its seaweed and our national treasure from those parts. Its marmite to most you love it or hate it. It's flavour is unique. I've given it to friends who love it.
Fry bacon when the oils starts to come out heat fresh not pickled cockles in the bacon juice then your laverbread and heat through. You'll be in culinary heaven.
Only seen it fresh in South Wales and North Devon. Parsons pickles from burry port can it so you can get it on the Internet. Excellent and very reasonable.

I had baby octopus, it had nice texture and light in flavour. Very similar to Calamari.
I recently had grilled Octopus in a Greek Taverna. It was very strong and overpowering. I definitely prefer it in a Asian stir fry. I should imagine that if battered or coated in bread crumbs like Calamari it would be good too.

Something a little different from a south Walian. Laverbread. Its seaweed and our national treasure from those parts. Its marmite to most you love it or hate it. It's flavour is unique. I've given it to friends who love it.
Fry bacon when the oils starts to come out heat fresh not pickled cockles in the bacon juice then your laverbread and heat through. You'll be in culinary heaven.
Only seen it fresh in South Wales and North Devon. Parsons pickles from burry port can it so you can get it on the Internet. Excellent and very reasonable.

I lived in Swansea for a number of years and absolutely loved the food market. Polystyrene cup of laverbread, cockles and splash of vinegar. Absolute delight! That was 30 years ago, so guess the market has changed (Swansea has, considerably) but I do hope the soul of fresh seafood ... and laverbread is still there.

Indeed, I buy my stocks in from Parsons. Worth bagging some cockles, too if anyone makes an order - actually, our local Sainsbury carries Parsons brand cockles as well as their mussels.

You've done it now, boyo ... I'm going to have to open a can.

IMG_3945.jpeg

I recently had grilled Octopus in a Greek Taverna. It was very strong and overpowering. I definitely prefer it in a Asian stir fry. I should imagine that if battered or coated in bread crumbs like Calamari it would be good too.
Octopus is a national dish on Malta which we visit frequently. Whenever there, I gorge on Octopus Linguine. Fantastic! The actual practice of fishing them is long-gone, I think as I've seen discarded boxes of product imported from Sicily. Never overcooked and even the cheapo Pizza, Pasta, Burgers kinda places get it right.

Love it! I do agree, it can be a strong taste.

Back
Top Bottom