shaving stick?

I've tried erasmic stick on two occasions and broke them both (they are now mashed up in a bowl). I now have a Palmolive stick which seems more robust.
I still can't work out what advantages they have over soap in a bowl. Applying the soap seems more difficult. The lather is more difficult to produce. And how to you store the stuff so as not to make a mess? A bowl can simply be put on a shelf or in a drawer. :geek:

I don't like shaving sticks either. But I love swirling my brush over a puck in a bowl. I stuffed my first and only Tabac stick into a Ramekin dish and it worked a treat. But whatever suits......

I rub the stick all over my stubbly chops, which pick up more soap than a soft badger brush.

More soap = more lather = better shave.

I really, really don't like using shave sticks as intended, so, even if confronted with a 1/2" slice from one, I'll stick it to the bottom of a bowl and proceed in that way. As regards using enough soap, roughly lathering one side of your face then working more soap into the brush and repeating on the other side and chin does the trick.

I don't think shaving sticks were ever designed to be rubbed on the face. I know adverts exist showing that, but they are comparativley modern.

You wet the brush, wet the stick and then rub the stick on the brush and then face-lather.

As you only do the 'loading' for a matter of seconds there is very little 'mess' to deal with, and they are perfectly fine just left standing on their base to dry out.

My old man had a Colgate-Palmolive promotional shaving stick holder - you popped off the cap, pushed up the stick, applied soap to the beard (it requires to have more than bumfluff to work), lathered with the brush and popped the cap back on - this according to the instruction leaflet that came with it... it would still fit the Palmolive sticks today (with the wee green base) if my mother hadn't "tidied up" and got rid of it :roll:

So their task is to locate at least one at all of the antique fairs they go to :)

I use them rubbed into the beard. There is no hassle in storing them, dry and stand.

I have tried to load the brush with them in the past, too much like faff to me.

They work as a soap cake, when grated into a bowl of some kind.

Wet it, slide it over the face (I try to avoid 'rubbing' as such) wet brush and face lather - that's how I do it when I use one.

Some sticks, like Tabac and Irish Moss come in a holder that has a push-up bottom ( that remonds me of a joke-another time maybe) and a screw on cap, so no mess. The others you can just stick on a shelf to dry.

Ian

they're handy for travel i suppose

it was the first things i started using when i wanted to try different soaps (smaller size, cheaper etc)

they do work better if you have some growth and i've never had a problem using them

hando said:
they're handy for travel i suppose

I have one I use for travel. Much easier than taking a soap bowl with you, or cream tub (in my case). I also rub the soap directly on my face and face lather. I think I saw those instructions on another shave forum.

I've only used my palmolive Stick (only stick I own) a few times and each time it's been, wet the brush, wet the stick, coat the top of the brush with soap then lather. Haven't tried putting the stick on my face.

As for storage I only tear off half the foil from the stick and leave it in it's plastic stand/holder thingy. Dry it then pop it back in the box.

The first couple of times I had barber shaves they used sticks but they sliced a notch off the top of it into a cup and lathered from there.

andyjreid said:
The first couple of times I had barber shaves they used sticks but they sliced a notch off the top of it into a cup and lathered from there.

that'll be a hygiene thing more than a performance one i'd say

My recent effort found the lather drying too quickly and actually clogging up my razor. I think I may avoid rubbing it on my face. I don't think its the fault of the product, it seems to be good stuff otherwise. I was gutted to find it 20p cheaper in the shop next door to the one I bought it. 44p wilkinsons, 60 something pence at savers.

Back
Top Bottom