Shaving soap sticks

This is all starting to remind me of the last time I made pie crust. Only had "Crisco" sticks and had to chill them in the freezer. Came out looking a lot like your "soap sticks". Wonder if they'd work. Kind of smells like the TOBAC !!!

Tall_Paul said:
Martin, that is truly a dodgy shave stick. :icon_wink:

I've also took the plunge and ordered a Tabac stick from Fleabay. What the hell, it can't smell any worse than Arko. Can it?

Very little could smell worse than Arko imo ! On the other hand, if only it performed as well ..........................................

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Well you guys.
Dissing Arko my Fave soap!!
I will surely like Tabac in that case.
I also like the smell of pub toilets so perhaps that why I like Arko.
I have lots of bits and pieces of glycerine based soaps which I carefully zapped And now form one glorious rose sandalwood mixture.
If I have a stick I either smash it into a mug or rub straight on my face.
My dad does the same so I guess that is where I got it from.
MWF is another I've not tried yet as I seem
Pre occupied with razors at the moment.
One thing though I have a lot more creams thN soaps.
But now I have my shave mugs I can change that.
I don't use a bowl to whip up a lather and I love that feel with a stick of scratching it over my stubble.
Off to shave now!!
Fancy a puck breaking loose at the critical moment Marvin!!
Good job you have back ups for those situations.
I now have a range of back ups now and never approach a shave without a reasonable chance of responding to any emergency situation that might arise.
Cheers
Blake

JohnnyO said:
Tall_Paul said:
Martin, that is truly a dodgy shave stick. :icon_wink:

I've also took the plunge and ordered a Tabac stick from Fleabay. What the hell, it can't smell any worse than Arko. Can it?

Very little could smell worse than Arko imo ! On the other hand, if only it performed as well ..........................................

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Try Tabac.........still think it smells like something that died.......Arko smells fresh, unlike most pub toilets I have had the mis-fortune to use.........:p:p:p

I have never understood the Arko / 'urinal cake' = bad, thing on shaving forums.

Aren't they designed to smell nice and fresh, so what's the complaint when stuff smells like them?

I would fully understand people banging on about them if they smelled like a wet cow-pat, strained through an incontinent tramp's pants.

Like Tabac.

Just joking, kids.

Hiya,

I know lots of people who like how Arko smells and I can see that scent being pleasing to many noses. Reminds me of some kinda industrial (or prison) cleaning soap thing, which if it was toned down maybe 10 times wouldn't be bad to faintly sniff.

Arko sticks are one of the few shaving soaps/creams where the fragrance escapes from sealed plastic bags. Heh, just a bit too intense for my bloodhound-like nose to handle.

Farfel

joe mcclaine said:
I have never understood the Arko / 'urinal cake' = bad, thing on shaving forums.

Aren't they designed to smell nice and fresh, so what's the complaint when stuff smells like them?

I would fully understand people banging on about them if they smelled like a wet cow-pat, strained through an incontinent tramp's pants.

Like Tabac.

Just joking, kids.

I understand the point being made here (that urinal cakes are designed to smell 'nice') although I'd argue they are not especially that nice, just somewhat nicer than festering, stale urine.

I think my dislike of Arko is by association. Although urinal cakes are meant to be fresh, it's still an association with toilets (usually awful pub toilets or public toilets).

It's not an association I want smeared over my chops when about to have a nice shave, especially when there are so many more enjoyable fragrances out there.

To me Arko smells a bit like kids sweets. Maybe a strong sherbet, something like that. I don't dislike the smell but I have to really fancy using the Arko to enjoy it. Odd to explain.
I smelt Tabac in Boots and a few weeks later went back to have a re-smell. It seemed to smell a bit musty to me, on both occasions. I would take the Arko over Tabac in terms of smell; I don't like the smell of tobacco and there are overtones of that in the Tabac too (probably intentional given the French translation).

I find the 'Arko whiff' does lessen if left unwrapped for a few weeks. When I first got it, it honked the bathroom out!

However, like others, it's performance is so excellent I'm willing to take the hit on the smell. It must be one of the best performing soaps out there and costs sod all.

Tall_Paul said:
I find the 'Arko whiff' does lessen if left unwrapped for a few weeks. When I first got it, it honked the bathroom out!

However, like others, it's performance is so excellent I'm willing to take the hit on the smell. It must be one of the best performing soaps out there and costs sod all.

I just can't see this logic. Why take a hit on the smell, when there are so many alternative options out there that you are likely to prefer scent wise, without a massive difference in performance?

I know this isn't probably the right thing to say on a site of dedicated shavers, but how much better can one shave be than another? It is, despite it being the reason we are all here, just a shave.

Time to reestablish the 'Tribunal del Santo Oficio de la Inquisicion'
Find the Grand Inquisitor!! Shave is just a Shave!! Is a Rose just a flower!! It's a connection to our past! One of the few unique remnants of our masculinity that hasn't as yet been stripped away Metrosexualism!!
WoW, next you'll tell me that there's no Santa Claus!

dodgy said:
Hiya,

I know lots of people who like how Arko smells and I can see that scent being pleasing to many noses. Reminds me of some kinda industrial (or prison) cleaning soap thing, which if it was toned down maybe 10 times wouldn't be bad to faintly sniff.

Arko sticks are one of the few shaving soaps/creams where the fragrance ecapes from sealed plastic bags. Heh, just a bit too intense for my bloodhound-like nose to handle.

Farfel

Dear D! I can understand if you get unpleasant memories from picking up the soap from the prison bathroom floor and I respect that.

I like both Tabac and Arko, smell wise maybe Tabac as a small edge to the Arko though.

Sticking with one method and combination of shaving products while dull does at least ensure consistent results. Occasional use of anything requires a good memory to ensure you use it the best way. I used a palmolive stick again today - the proper way - and while I got a decent shave it was not a particularly satisfying experience. To get the best out of anything it does need some regular use. I doubt I'll bother with the stick again, I'll add it to the palmolive sticks I have already stuffed in a bowl.

As always, each to his own.

Mikael said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Arko sticks are one of the few shaving soaps/creams where the fragrance ecapes from sealed plastic bags. Heh, just a bit too intense for my bloodhound-like nose to handle.

Farfel

Dear D! I can understand if you get unpleasant memories from picking up the soap from the prison bathroom floor and I respect that.

I suspect that's also why it took him so long to try a shave stick. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom