Shaving soap sticks

Hiya,

I'd gotta think there'd already be some threads on sticks, but after doing a halfass search and seeing how there's 28 pages in my search results......

So I started using a brush over five years ago. Shaved with lots of creams and soaps, but never tried a stick-like process till four days ago. Yep, it took a small irritation to finally get me off the damn fence and try that method of making lather.

My puck broke loose from it's bowl when I was away from home, right when I'd just started loading up. Personally, I hate having to hold a puck in my hand and swirl the brush on it like that. Messy and not all that effective, at least that's what it's like for me. Now keep in mind it's not like I didn't have 2-3 various back up soaps/creams with me, because I certainly did.

So I rubbed the puck on my face for maybe 30 seconds, seeing as how the soap I used was softer than a triple mill. Had my brush soaking and when I was ready I flicked off just a bit less water than I normally would and started swirling.

Well it was very good, both the experience and the resulting lather. Took maybe about a minute to get a good lather going, and maybe another 30 seconds to tweak the soap/water ratio using a little hot water added to the brush. The resulting later had the right cushion and plenty of slip and the shaves have been excellent each time.

It was almost three years before I finally tried a now in my rotation soap (MWF), and I've mentally kicked myself repeatedly for that screw up. I believe waiting this long to use soap as a shave stick is worthy of even more mental abuse. Sheeeesh.

Dumb old Dodgy

Oh yeah, I should also mention it's pretty darn fun making up lather this way. Sheeeesh once again.

Happy soon to be New Year. I use a stick the same way I do the puck. Just got tired of having no name soaps all over the place... So I just cut a sliver off, press it to the bottom of the bowl and put the rest away in it's original container.

Tried the stick thing on my face a couple of times but couldn't get use to it!

Johnus said:
Happy soon to be New Year. I use a stick the same way I do the puck. Just got tired of having no name soaps all over the place... So I just cut a sliver off, press it to the bottom of the bowl and put the rest away in it's original container.

Tried the stick thing on my face a couple of times but couldn't get use to it!

Hey buddy, how you doin,

Man, I was the same way when it came to using sticks as you did. Treated em like a small diameter soap and lathered slices stuck in a bowl. Did that for Arko and the Moos and maybe a few more in the past. Hated the idea of rubbing a soap into my beard for some reason. Hah, I just realized I have an old Valobra stick I'm gonna have to try now.

Happy New Year to you also,

Martin

I always found rubbing a soap stick on my face would wear it down much faster than rubbing it on an upsidedown brush.

Never considered using a 'puck' that way either, but as with all things shavey, and as they say round these parts "whatever keeps your particular method of waterborne transportation bobbing along".

joe mcclaine said:
I always found rubbing a soap stick on my face would wear it down much faster than rubbing it on an upsidedown brush.

Never considered using a 'puck' that way either, but as with all things shavey, and as they say round these parts "whatever keeps your particular method of waterborne transportation bobbing along".

What's doin Vinny,

I'd read about using a puck like a stick years ago. After all, it's the same forumlation the soapmakers use for the pucks, except in a different form. I can see how the soap might be used up a little faster using that method, but the benefits (and fun) outweigh any small things like price....heh.

antdad said:
Told ya, hey maybe you'll be giving the tabac stick some loving?

Oh hell yeah Tony,

I'm really excited to start rubbing a LOT of something that smells like dead things on my face.

I can't wait.

Tell you what...I've got about 10 Tabac stick refills all of which smell a little and a lot different. My last one was a beauty the current one isn't great so I appreciate the love hate folks feel towards it.

All I can say is when I come across a decent one with more wood than geranium then I'll happily send it to the deep dish capital.

Weird you should mention that Tony.

I've experienced the same thing with some D R Harris Almond cakes this week.

One of them was definitely whiter than the others I've had, and smelled a bit 'minty'.

Binned it.

antdad said:
All I can say is when I come across a decent one with more wood than geranium then I'll happily send it to the deep dish capital.

Heh, I like a woody scent, and although geranium isn't one I much care for, at least it's bearable. Nah, there's something else going on in Tabac.....something unholy.

If you ever do run across the mythical non awful smelling Tabac stick, maybe just send me a waaafer thin (said in my best John Cleese voice while offering Mr Creosote an after dinner mint voice) slice for a tester.

Thank you so much.

Hi Martin

That's exactly how I use my MWF now. Straight onto the old fizzog and attack it with a brush, and it's how I use all my soap sticks too.

They work really well for me, especially as I'm pressed for time in the week. At the weekend I probably crack out the scuttle.

Tall_Paul said:
Hi Martin

That's exactly how I use my MWF now. Straight onto the old fizzog and attack it with a brush, and it's how I use all my soap sticks too.

How you doin Paul,

That sounded so good I tried it this morning. Took longer loading up my beard than with the softer soap I'd been using, but no big deal at all. Excellent lather once again,

What made the shave even better was that I used a large chunk that had pretty much detached itself (cracked) from the main puck and was about worthless to me. Hell, now it's a handy little thing that I'll use often.

Martin

Hiya,

Well you know this method's been used maybe 5-6 times now and there's still stuff to learn....the subtle small tweaks I mean. Definitely easier and quicker using a soft soap for loading up, but no big deal regarding the extra 30-45 seconds longer with the harder stuff. Results and performance are the same in the end.

I'm convinced lathering this way would be the best by far for someone new to the lather thingy. The soap is guaranteed to be well on the skin, with the best chance of having some slick in there. Slick's more important than cushion, and it can help overcome poor technique. Plus, it's so easy to work up a good lather since there's more room to tweak things as you go.

Sheeesh, I made a damn shave stick. I musta bought these containers at least four years ago and have not tried any till now. Figured I'd just get this outta my system....musta been dormant like malaria all these years.

Used Sharon's Cedarwood/Vetyver hard soap version and bingo! Well, not quite bingo, but it luckily didn't turn into bungo (I hate that). Yeah, contrary to the alchemist's warnings, I decided on just barely melting half a puck. Cut it into small pieces and gave it 3-4 second bursts only. Do not melt this soap in a microwave.

Nope, no damage was done, but I knew pretty quick it wasn't a melt and pour by the way it wasn't starting to puddle. I don't like to brag, but I bet I've screwed up more soaps by melting em than anyone else here. Oftentimes there's a very fine line between ok and dreck for results. I was paying close attention to Sharon's creation.

After may 10-12 second total, I stopped before things went south. Either the scent was gonna leave or the soap was gonna burn. Took the pieces and easily molded em into the stick shell and bingo! Smells fine and has hardened right up again. Should be fun to use it. Tony, if you read this, the texture's similar to the very pliable modeling clay like stuff you usta have for business purposes. I believe C4 was your personal choice.

Dodgy

Sheeeesh

On, no need to compliment me on achieving that difficult to master 'Old Timey Hillbilly Heaven Home Made' look.

Attachments

• Sharon\'s soap stick  cedar-vetyver 003 (Small).jpg
    Sharon\'s soap stick cedar-vetyver 003 (Small).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Sharon\'s soap stick  cedar-vetyver 001 (Small).jpg
    Sharon\'s soap stick cedar-vetyver 001 (Small).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 29
Martin, that is truly a dodgy shave stick. :icon_wink:

I've also took the plunge and ordered a Tabac stick from Fleabay. What the hell, it can't smell any worse than Arko. Can it?

Tall_Paul said:
Martin, that is truly a dodgy shave stick. :icon_wink:

I've also took the plunge and ordered a Tabac stick from Fleabay. What the hell, it can't smell any worse than Arko. Can it?

Thank you Paul,

Yes, I was very happy with the truly rustic look I was trying to impart to the stick. How do you guys over there say it? Oh yeah, "My pants were right pushed out in the front".

Far as Tabac smelling as bad as Arko.....it's pretty close to a tie. How people can say they like the scent of Arko soap is beyond my comprehension. Actually, I'd give the edge to the least awful of the two being Arko......

I'm sure you'll love the Tabac.....simply positive.

Dodgy

Oh, I believe we may have attended the same photgraphy school.

dodgy said:
Far as Tabac smelling as bad as Arko.....it's pretty close to a tie. How people can say they like the scent of Arko soap is beyond my comprehension. Actually, I'd give the edge to the least awful of the two being Arko......

I'm sure you'll love the Tabac.....simply positive.

Dodgy

Ah well, something else for the good lady to moan about! She positively lurrved the Arko reeking out the bathroom.

dodgy said:
Oh, I believe we may have attended the same photgraphy school.

Is that the 'enthusiastic amateur' class? If so, we did!

Tall_Paul said:
dodgy said:
Ah well, something else for the good lady to moan about! She positively lurrved the Arko reeking out the bathroom.

Oh, I'm sure your wife will find the delicate and feminine scented Tabac to be very pleasing to her sensitive nostrils. Reminds me a lot of summer flowers. Deeeeeelightful.

Back
Top Bottom