Shaving made easy - free download

So by lathering straight onto a dry face is it effectively saying that all pre shave products and techniques are unnecessary?

And what about those who face lather, is that not possible with this technique I take it?

I use the face lathering technique. Simply face lather as you would normally and then once you get a good lather on your face switch to hand massaging the lather into your beard. I spend approx 2 minutes doing this stage. I really make sure that i strongly massage the lather into the beard, rubbing against the grain to get that lather right into the base of the hair.
Then i wipe over my face with the brush again, just to smooth it over. Thats it, put the blade (i use a straight) to face and shave :) .

That makes sense, but surely the claimed benefit of a ready mixed lather onto a dry face is lost like that?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line :?

Just to touch base again on this old shaving manual. I have tried my usual routine and compared the results against the method of 'dry' shaving outlined in said manual. The old manual method wins hands down for me, by a long way!
A couple of important points in my view with this method;

Having dry bristles that do not bend/give way to an edge. I gave this point a good deal of thought and i personally agree with the rationale. As long as a sharp edge is used i have had no problems.

Using your fingers to thoroughly massage the lather into the beard/stubble. I really try to work the lather into the bristles going against the grain and really massaging hard. I spend a minute or two doing this process.

With this method i can get a clean shave with zero irratation and quickly. If you enjoy the hot towel method etc thats fine but i would suggest that you give the finger massage method a go as this can really drive the lather to the base of the offending bristles and help with your shave.

Many thanks to Fido for finding this manual and posting, really helped my straight razor shaving, transformed it in fact!

Back
Top Bottom