Shaving made easy - free download

Worth a look?

After all, some have been there before us.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.archive.org/details/shavingmadeeasyw0020th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.archive.org/details/shavingmadeeasyw0020th</a><!-- m -->

Yes, had to re-read it just to make sure i'd got it right.
Sure enough, quick shower, wash face then out of shower and dry off including the face.
Wasn't sure if it was gonna work, thought i might end up with a really rough shave but quite the opposite is true, great, great shave with a straight razor. Down the face then re-lather and straight up the face. Super clean shave, no weepers or any irratation.
Finish with Tabac aftershave and some Talc on a dry face towel and fit to go!
It actually felt different when shaving, the blade seemed to get/pick up the stubble better. The text in the manual could be right when it remarked on hair being too soft for shaving purposes.
Interesting stuff, looks like i may have found my new routine :) .

So you're saying basically apply soap to a dry face? I watched a video of someone face lathering recently on here I think it might have been Tieste and I noticed at the time he lathered on a dry face but I just assumed he was only lathering for the video and wouldn't be shaving which was why he didn't wet his face.

If that's the case I might try that!

simmo3801 said:
So you're saying basically apply soap to a dry face? I watched a video of someone face lathering recently on here I think it might have been Tieste and I noticed at the time he lathered on a dry face but I just assumed he was only lathering for the video and wouldn't be shaving which was why he didn't wet his face.

If that's the case I might try that!

Maybe we should change the name to 'The Dry Shaving Room'

Wet shaving? Sooooo last year! ;)

Hah, ha, yep, it'll be no lather next and blunt blades :lol: . But seriously, it worked fine, really good shave. I think as long as your blade is sharp and, in the case of a straight razor, you can re-strop your edge as you go. I spent a good two minutes massaging the soap in with my fingers.
If you think about it, surely facial hair can't stand up (no pun intended) to a steel edge! What that manual say's is correct. Soft hair will just bend away/lay flat as the blade strikes it. If it is dryer but well lubricated with soap then the edge can flow over the surface with the hair not bending out of the way.
You must have a lubricated surface for the blade to slide over but that may be all you need! The shave time was cut in half, i had a great shave and my skin feels and looks great. Might be worth a go guy's :cool: .

Just to update, tried a second shave with a straight tonight following the procedure outlined in the manual. Result, the best shave i have had ever, no question!

I tried lathering a dry face with MWF and a slim using an Iridium. Not such a comfortable shave. The soap dried on my neck where before with a wet face it remained wet. I also found that the soap clogged the razor more and was harder to rinse out. For me no great advantage......

I've had a few barbers shop shaves and most of them were straight on to a dry face. And like them or not theres alot of people using electric shavers out there straight on to dry skin.

My view is it's all down to skill because since I have been learning to use a straight when I go back to DE on the days when time is short. I have found that a Merkur Futur on 6 is just as easy and harmless to use as my Gillette flare tip rocket and I can go very fast with both of them without irritation or cuts!!

Back
Top Bottom