Shaving for Ladies

artisansoap said:
WOW - that was quick!

Thanks for the fast feedback. Looks like DE might be worth trying after all :p

Have to look of EvilBay for vintage Lady Gillettes, or possibly just get an EJ with a long handle. ;)

Artisan :)

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, send me PM, I'll PIF you a long handled slim twist (the handle has a crack in it, but it's very good)

Max

artisansoap said:
Frenchblade - thankyou very much - I'm touched :)

I've sent you a PM - can you tell me a bit more about what a long handled slim twist is please :oops:

Replied, and for those who also want to know ;)

Qq5je.jpg

Max

I have a Gillette Lady which I use occasionally which I quite like. The head is similar to the Twist that Max has offerred you.

My wife won't consider using it bu I find that although it is quite light, the long handle is really well balanced.

If you would like to borrow it before you decide to buy one, drop me a PM.

PS I like mine so this is not me trying to offload it :D

moodymick said:
Should anyone be further interested in the topic, a search on Google for 'Shaven' + 'Women' will get you lots and lots of videos, which may not all be safe for work ;)

Sadly they all appear to involve cartridge razors. I have been researching this subject for some time now and have yet to see a DE. :( I wonder if anyone else here has come across this sort of thing. :? :eek: :oops: :lol:

Pig Cat said:
moodymick said:
Should anyone be further interested in the topic, a search on Google for 'Shaven' + 'Women' will get you lots and lots of videos, which may not all be safe for work ;)

Sadly they all appear to involve cartridge razors. I have been researching this subject for some time now and have yet to see a DE. :( I wonder if anyone else here has come across this sort of thing. :? :eek: :oops: :lol:

I'm surprised it took 3 pages for this thread to derail.. :D :lol: :lol:

Max

FrenchBlade said:
I'm surprised it took 3 pages for this thread to derail.. :D :lol: :lol:
You and me both, Max :roll: The train's probably at the bottom of the embankment now, but anyway, back to the matter in hand for a moment.

I don't know much about DE razors in general, but I do know about old Gillettes in particular, and the Slim Twist is a good one. Nice gentle shaver and quite forgiving if the angle isn't quite right ... and with the most plug ugly handle Gillette ever saw fit to put on a razor. It's also way too long for my taste, which is why I piffed mine, nothing to do with the way it shaves.

I bought my wife a Lady Gillette not so long ago, and whilst she's still a little wary of it, it seems to be working out well. She's sticking with Personna blades for now: they're dependable and not excessively sharp, quite smooth too. As far as I know she's still using canned foam most of the time, but really liked one of the rose creams, just needs to practice making bowls full of lather and to be in less of a rush all the time: easily said. If the Slim Twist works out, it would be worth keeping an eye open for a Lady Gillette because the head is very much the same but they really are very attractive items, and the handle is of similar length.

Hi there Artisan,

I'd suggest a long handle type razor, such as the Lady Gillette or a Schick Krona. Neither one is very aggressive, but are still capable of delivering very nice results. The Gillette super adjustable is another one to consider because of the handle length and also the ability to dial in your comfort range. Then there's one called the Knack, with it's UK brother being named the Slim Twist.

In my daughter's case, the blade she likes in her Lady Gillette is a mild one called Crystal. I've given her sharper ones to use in the past, but the Crystal blades fit her best. She has also used the super adjustable razor with good results, but prefers her blue stars razor now. I'm not all that familiar with mild blades, but I do remember the Red Personna being a nice one.

If you like, you're welcome to try out a Lady Gillette and a few various blades. I have one in decent shape that could be sent out on the house if that interests you. Keep it if it suits you or just send it along if not. Best way to find out if this DE thing is for you.

Martin

I knew the thread would deteriorate to slow-motion-train-crash status at some point, but I was impressed that it took so long :lol:

On the plus side, I've learned quite a bit about DE razors that I didn't know. I couldn't work out why they shouldn't be suitable for the Girls, but with the English Shaving Co only offering ladies' razors with Mach 3 heads, I had to ask :roll:

I have been humbled by the generosity of the Chaps here too. I've PM'd FrenchBlade and dodgy to accept their kind offers. I shall try them out and offer a female perspective review of each. Needless to say there won't be photos - I can only create so many train crashes and I DO have standards :lol: :eek: ;)

Thanks again to you all for answering by clueless newby questions, and sorry if you snorted your tea/coffee :D

As an experiment I've just shaved with that Lady Gillette. I think I'll get away with it as my wife is two time zones away at the moment, if the 700 odd of you would be so good as to keep it amongst yourselves. Anyway, it was exactly as expected: a Superspeed with a totally wrong handle. Which is to say very good - not quite mild, but by no means aggressive, easy to use and as clean a result as I'd expect from any DE. A good razor this.

I use both sides, and switch whenever the side I'm currently using is in need of a rinse.
That way I don't have to rinse as often, since I don't need to do so until both sides are clogged.
I thought everyone did this?

Back
Top Bottom