Shaving for Ladies

Please excuse me if this rambles a bit, but I'm confused, and I'm a Girlie (2 very good excuses ;) )

Can someone please explain to me the use of a double edged razor?
  • Do you use both cutting edges in the same shave, or do you turn it round when one edge becomes too dull?[/list:u]

Are the sharp corners protruding - do they stick out?
    • I'm wondering because the English Shaving Co. has ladies razors, but only fitted with a Gillette Mach 3 head. Why would that be? I'm wondering if the corners would do serious damage to my underarms if I were to try shaving DE, since an armpit is concave as opposed to a face which is convex (just speculation - any opinions would be interesting :shock: )[/list:u]

I get the distinct impression that Edwin Jagger is the make of DE razor that most rate as fool proof. Not sure about Girlie proof, but I couldn't find anything looking back :lol: .
      • What makes of blade might be considered "mild" by the majority of users? Tough stubble isn't really an issue with most Girlies (as far as I know :oops: ), and the concept of a non-agressive shave is attractive. I'm not looking for blunt razors, they are more likely to cut - just ones that give users a more comfortable shave.[/list:u]

I think that's it for now, but if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to ask.

When you've finished snorting your tea/coffee, and wiped down the keyboard, please enlighten me (gently!).

Artisan :)

I bought my wife one of the vintage Lady Gillette razors. She was a bit apprehensive at first but now uses it exclusively in combination with Kiss My Face shaving cream. She says it is a lot smoother than the gel and Venus she was using previously.

1965%20(K1)%20Lady%20Gillette%20blue.JPG

You use both cutting edges at the same time. Any blades will do but probably best to try a few. My wife says Derby's are not very good, which I concur with.

If you did want to give it a go probably best to buy a razor with a longer handle, I think it would probably make shaving your legs easier.

The short story (some points after reference to SWMBO)

I use both edges in the shave, trying to keep them shaving equal areas of stubble as practically possible...

She didn't know there were protruding corners :D So I guess that's not a problem... Not being au fait with the mechanics of underarm shaving I guess you lift your arm to such a point that the surface to be shaved is more or less flat (not unlike under the chin in geometry really)

As for blades, she's currently using SuperMax - mostly because usage is sporadic so longevity isn't a concern, it's mostly "one use and out".

Oh, her razor - a choice of Lady Gillettes, in blue, pink & champagne (gold/beige)

My wife tends to pick a blade out of my stash with the prettiest picture on. :roll: She's quite keen on the crocodiles (Gillette Nacet) but not so keen on the Lenin's (Superthins).

images

images

Do you use both cutting edges in the same shave

In short, yes. It's difficult if not impossible to shave your own multi facetted face whilst also remembering which side of the head you've used between rinses, so you end up using both sides. Were a lady to use a DE on their legs, I think it may be easier to remember which side you're using, but at 10 pence a blade, it's easiest to just change the blade whenever you feel dullness.

Are the sharp corners protruding - do they stick out?

They do on my Merkurs, just a little, though blades are slighly rounded on the corner. I think you're right about the armpit being tricky to use a DE on because of the concavity. Not impossible, but you'd have to be very careful and develop a technique. Many (chiselled!) men have concave areas of the face and neck, it's a case of stretching the skin as taut as you can and developing a good technique, particularly with direction and pressure.

I get the distinct impression that Edwin Jagger is the make of DE razor that most rate as fool proof.

And Merkurs probably, often mentioned as a good starter razor. It's why I got one.

What makes of blade might be considered "mild" by the majority of users?

Trial and error that one... Derby maybe? See how you go from there? I like a sharper blade (not too lethal however, steer clear of those feathers!) like a Gillette 7 o'clock, I prefer the sharper blade as I find they don't nick me. Blunter blades tend to trap my skin and give me a nibble now and then. YMMV.

WOW - that was quick!

Thanks for the fast feedback. Looks like DE might be worth trying after all :p

Have to look of EvilBay for vintage Lady Gillettes, or possibly just get an EJ with a long handle. ;)

My Mrs took to using a brush and Rose scented shaving cream (of which there are many) but not to using a D.E razor. She never had much of a problem shaving so was content using single and twin blade disposables, using a good shaving cream and introducing another pass made the
biggest difference to her.

A Gillette "slim twist" has quite a long handle, is quite mild, cheap and easily available if you want to try.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6493</a><!-- l -->

artisansoap said:
WOW - that was quick!

Thanks for the fast feedback. Looks like DE might be worth trying after all :p

Have to look of EvilBay for vintage Lady Gillettes, or possibly just get an EJ with a long handle. ;)

What did the Ladies do with unwanted hair 50 years ago? They had no choice but to use a DE. (Unless some brave sole used a straight).

After feeling the closeness of my shaves my wife wanted to try a shave from a DE, but she was scared she would nick herself, so I had to perform the deed :?
I now have that job permanently :D

Parwin said:
What did the Ladies do with unwanted hair 50 years ago? They had no choice but to use a DE. (Unless some brave sole used a straight).

The Straight Razor Place forum has a "Ladies Only" section.

Ian

tubby_shaw said:

That's a potential problem... my significant other likes my smooth face so much that she's making noises about whether it would be good to try DE on legs. Except she's not brave enough so wants me to do it.

Remember having to change your disposeable when someone had used it on their legs? I can see a repeat if I'm not careful. :evil:

CanucksTraveller said:
tubby_shaw said:

That's a potential problem... my significant other likes my smooth face so much that she's making noises about whether it would be good to try DE on legs. Except she's not brave enough so wants me to do it.

Remember having to change your disposeable when someone had used it on their legs? I can see a repeat if I'm not careful. :evil:

In that case she will have to get her own razor. :lol:

Personally my wife wont touch a DE..she used one years ago..not yielding good results...now my uses my 1st GEM SE razor exclusively and her granddads str8 once in a while :mrgreen:

Blades said:
Personally my wife wont touch a DE..she used one years ago..not yielding good results...now my uses my 1st GEM SE razor exclusively and her granddads str8 once in a while :mrgreen:

She won't use a DE but will use a straight?! That's brave! :shock:

Back
Top Bottom