Shaving brush survey

Hello gentlemen,

I'm conducting a survey aimed to the general wet-shaving community to gather some information about their habits and preferences regarding shaving brushes.
This is a simple and straightforward online survey with only 12 questions.
I'd appreciate if you gents took 2 minutes of your time to take this survey.

Survey here.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Bruno

I understand the point of the survey Bruno but I'm not sure how one is supposed to have a preference when choosing knot hair composition.

I have the 404 mix but no idea what percentage of badger and boar hair it contains. Boar lovers may prefer a larger boar to badger hair ratio, badger hair lovers may not buy into the concept at all.

Many TSR members use the 404 mix and it is a fair brush but it gets recommended because it is very good quality and represents tremendous value from one particular vendor. I might be mistaken but if it were a £20 or £30 brush I'm really not sure there would be the same enthusiasm for it.

antdad said:
I understand the point of the survey Bruno but I'm not sure how one is supposed to have a preference when choosing knot hair composition.

I have the 404 mix but no idea what percentage of badger and boar hair it contains. Boar lovers may prefer a larger boar to badger hair ratio, badger hair lovers may not buy into the concept at all.

Many TSR members use the 404 mix and it is a fair brush but it gets recommended because it is very good quality and represents tremendous value from one particular vendor. I might be mistaken but if it were a £20 or £30 brush I'm really not sure there would be the same enthusiasm for it.

I concur Tony.

Last time I was in John Lewis, they had the 404 mixed, but it was £16.00, and I resisted. Had it been a fiver I'd have given it a go.

Ian

antdad said:

The reason 404 is such a success is the ratio of its boar vs badger-60/40 not the other way around. I thought the obvious reason for it's stiffness was higher bristle ratio compared to its counterpart.

I'm sure that was the theory behind it but personally I found my brush softened very quickly to the point of being floppy. After 2 or 3 months I really didn't enjoy using it and moved onto something else but hey its a £8 brush so who's complaining.

antdad said:
I'm sure that was the theory behind it but personally I found my brush softened very quickly to the point of being floppy. After 2 or 3 months I really didn't enjoy using it and moved onto something else but hey its a £8 brush so who's complaining.

Either the US dollar's so weak that vendors charge $25-30 for 404 or you have different version altogether but I doubt it.

8GBP is equivalent to 12USD thereabouts. That's a mighty good deal considering the brushes I have in that price range are plastic handles.

Are there different versions of the 404? I have one that is pure bristle [I assume boar], but I see everyone raving about the mixed 'bodger' hair [love that word :lol: ]. I bought mine from Connaught.

So are there different versions, as I'm a bit underwhelmed by my 404's performance?

Yes, confusingly there are different versions. The 404 mix hair "bodger" is available from Diamond Edge Ltd for about £8.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razors__Shaving_Brushes.html#a760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razo ... .html#a760</a><!-- m -->

antdad said:
Yes, confusingly there are different versions. The 404 mix hair "bodger" is available from Diamond Edge Ltd for about £8.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razors__Shaving_Brushes.html#a760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razo ... .html#a760</a><!-- m -->

Thanks Antdad. Brush ordered from Diamond Edge.

I'll do the survey now too. Just to keep on topic! :)

SiR-ed8 said:
The reason 404 is such a success is the ratio of its boar vs badger-60/40 not the other way around. I thought the obvious reason for it's stiffness was higher bristle ratio compared to its counterpart.

how did you find out that the ratio on the 404 is a 60\40 boar\badger mix?

or is this common knowledge :oops:

Chibouk said:
Are there different versions of the 404? I have one that is pure bristle [I assume boar], but I see everyone raving about the mixed 'bodger' hair [love that word :lol: ]. I bought mine from Connaught.

So are there different versions, as I'm a bit underwhelmed by my 404's performance?

I too have the 404 Boar from Connaught and was also a little underwhelmed. I also have a Vulfix 2235 in Super badger which performs much better, holding a lot more water and enough lather for 3 or 4 passes with ease. Having said that I have revisited the 404 Boar a few times and its quite plain that my lathering technique has improved and it wasn't all down to the brush! That said I can't get it to hold more than 2 passes worth of lather and I find it works much better on soaps than creams and I tend to face lather so on the 3rd pass I just give the soap another rub with the bristles then to the face and then dip the tips to pick up a bit more water and that works fine.

hando said:
SiR-ed8 said:

how did you find out that the ratio on the 404 is a 60\40 boar\badger mix?

or is this common knowledge :oops:

E-mailed Vulfix and Philip contacted me. Very nice gentleman to boot I might add.

The only time I'd ever consider getting anything related to badger is if the boar or horse ratio is greater than bader. To date I haven't even put any badgers more than one use with exception to one when I was awaiting for my Omega boars to arrive ( at the time ). Boar just does more simply put.

wp1d6c843b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom