Shavette question

Ok, I know that it's not a 'real' straight, but I also know my limitations and that I wouldn't be able to maintain a straight properly. So I really fancy trying a similar experience, hence the urge for a shavette, notwithstanding that they apparently shave quite differently!

My question is where should I start? There are lots of cheap ones for under a tenner that take half a DE blade and French Blade gave a positive review for a Sanguine XD 2o (I think) against a Dovo. The Dovo is more expensive at around £30 and has a longer blade, but I think that it can take a DE too if you put a sleeve in it. Ideally, I would like to buy a Feather Artist Club with the Pro Guard blades, but that will not be yet unfortunately.

So, should I try a cheap £5-9 version now, wait for a short time before getting a Dovo or hold out until I can afford a Feather?

I will stock up on styptic pencils first though :icon_razz:

For no good reason (given that I've never tried one) the thought of using half a blade has always put me off and I've also heard that these things can be very temperamental.

I do have a Feather folding straight and can recomend them, especially with the Proguard blade for beginners. Connaught are discounting one of the ranges at the moment so I'd advise you to save for one of them.

Having had experience of both, I would definitely save my pennies and get the Feather AC.
I tried a shavette after about a month of using the Feather, I'm afraid it wasn't for me :).
In my opinion it was just too harsh compared to the Feather but, I'm sure there'll be people on here who will have nothing but praise for them.

Thanks guys, that certainly helps & it's nice to know that the Feather is most likely to be the best bet. As it's going to be a while before I can get one is it worth try a Dovo first, or will that put me off?

this is the one i use, i have had it for 2 years and going strong

http://www.barberblades.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=48_35&product_id=64

£3.50

(buy a pair of side cutters to cut the de blades down with though, its safer than trying to snap them)

I'm willing to go against the grain a bit. You can get excellent shaves with a Parker style shavette. I use one occasionally (travel or whenever I get the urge) but use conventional straights exclusively. I'd go with the Parker style until you get the cash up for a Feather but that's just my opinion. Good luck with your choice and use a light touch with those shavettes.

That's why I love this forum, just when I think I've made my mind up you come along & suggest an alternative! I might have to give one of these options a go sooner rather than later!

What Shanky offered is a good deal. Can't go wrong at that price! Just don't try going BBS for a good while, simply do WTG pass and finish off with a DE. You'll get the feel, eventually, and by the time you save up for Feather you'll be able to appreciate it even more.

I've got a Shaving Shack shavette. I've not had the best experiences with it. the last time I used it was the best - I didn't hack myself to pieces.

For me they are simply TOO light and you end up putting too much pressure on. I suppose with experience this gets sorted but my poor chin hates the thing. I just can't get the anlges and holding the thing comfortable.

Every month I decide to snap a blade and give it a go. I'm glad I've got it but when it goes wrong it does tkae a lot of experience and some pain as well.

i bought the sanguine coolcut 4 think it was about 6 or 7 quid,its all stainless steel and feels weighty enough, i used it on Monday and found it to be ok i used a perma sharp shavette blade and took my time with short strokes i had a few nicks and finished off with my DE.
Today i decided to have a another go this time i left the razor open like Japanese style i found this much easier to navigate around my face so much so that i didnt need to touch up with my DE,still had a couple of nicks and a rash on my neck but that died down after an hour or so, need to sort out my technique a bit but all in all i was quite pleased with it.
The only problem is that it's made me want to get the Feather AC now!

Just watch out for your fingers buddy I seem to remember slashing a few of my ones with a Shavette, putting the blade in no problem,getting the blade out again :icon_eek::mad::blush: in that order of things :angel:

i use the feather ac dx japanese style....took a few goes to get it right but boy does she get close...still trying pro guards but they do a fine to excellent job of mowing the turf....and i nearly gave up on it...goto use thin lather or it seems to suck to my face

can heartily recommend one

I started my wet shaving journey with a shavette before finally getting a straight. That was 7-8 years ago and I've not looked back since.

I think a shavette is a great way to learn how to hold a proper straight and how to hold your skin tight during the strokes, so it does have some positives about it. Expect to get the odd nick here and there however from the edges - they are incredibly sharp and can easily catch skin rather than hair. I probably had 6 months with mine before going for a proper straight.

I agree changing blades can be a problem. Snap them in half while still in the wrapper and your fingers get extra protection. Also, ensure the shavette you choose is "tight" - that the blades go in and stay in. I've seen a few where this isn't the case and the blades have fallen out during the shave!

When you come to getting a proper straight, don't worry about the maintenance. You will need a strop. There are plenty of people or places to send your razor to for a touch up/professional honing.

It seems the consensus is to start very carefully with a low cost shavette & then progress to a Feather. After that I will get sucked into the dark side & go for a straight, well according to you lot anyway! I appreciate the advice though & will let you know how I get on.

I presume that as no one had mentioned the Dovo that its not worth trying, is that right?

Wanderlust167 said:
It seems the consensus is to start very carefully with a low cost shavette & then progress to a Feather. After that I will get sucked into the dark side & go for a straight, well according to you lot anyway! I appreciate the advice though & will let you know how I get on.

I presume that as no one had mentioned the Dovo that its not worth trying, is that right?

remember you cant use any pressure with a straight, if you use the same pressure that you use with a de with a shavvete you will have very sore skin

Having followed this thread with interest, I ordered the shavette mentioned in post five. Fantastic service from Barber Blades, it arrived this morning and I've had my first shavette shave.

I took it very slowly and planned to just work down to my jaw bone but it went so well I had two passes WTG and achieved a blood free satisfactory shave. Predictably, the right side of my face is easier and smoother.

Back
Top Bottom