Not open for further replies.
Re: Shave of the day w/c 31 October 2009

Monday

Mühle R41
TOBS Almond cream
Rooney Super
Gillette Super Thin
Liz Earle AS Balm

I haven't used the tobs cream for a while,I forgot how nice it was.Another good shave from the thin,and once again the Mühle impresses.

Monday

Speick stick
Semogue 1305
Gillette Old
Gillette Super Thin
Alum
Thayers with Aloe
Aqua Velva
444 ASB

Great shave, great start to the day..

Monday

Kent BK4
Tabac soap
1958 British Gillette TV Special
Indian Wilkinson (2)
Thayers Witch Hazel AS
Lacoste AS

Good results - and the journey seemed better too. Can't put my finger on what was "bad" about yesterday's but it didn't feel "right" (if that makes sense).

An interesting experience today. After three days of using my Muhle R41, I went back to my Merkur 38C. To achieve a satisfactory degree of comfort I felt that I had to adopt a very disciplined technique with the Muhle. It certainly produced great shaves and I guess if I stuck with it I would get used to the need to take great care over my shaves to get my technique spot on.
With my Merkur I found myself continuing with the same disciplined technique - short precise stokes, no pressure. But I was much more relaxed than with the Muhle. Result? The same superb shave. Moral of my tale? Get technique right and you will get a great shave with most decent razors. So then it's down to which one you are most comfortable with. So for me, of the 10 razors I have tried, it's the 38C in the lead. Later this week it has to withstand the challenge of what I expect to be it's last competitor for the time being, the Muhle R89 under the Jagger DE87 label. The only other DE razor that for me comes close to the Merkur in pleasure of use and performance is the little Gillette Single Ring open comb.

Used Castle Forbes pre shave and lavender cream. Will repeat without the pre shave tomorrow to see if I spot a difference.

Monday

Futur
Feather
Semogue 2000
proraso cream
nivea ASB
Taylor's bay rum

very nice shave, getting use to the smell of the bay rum

Monday

Futur
Super Platinum
Men-U Bristle
MWF
Alum
SI (Skincare Intelligence for men)
Trumper's Spanish Leather

A really enjoyable shave, with good results. First outing for the Woolfat this evening - and I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised with it. However, it took three attempts to get a lovely cushioning lather (during which time the Men-U brush shed an alarming number of hairs). But it was worth it - the Futur slid across very nicely. I should also 'big up' the SI a/s balm - good stuff from Tesco.

slimjim5751 said:
Monday

Futur
Feather
Semogue 2000
proraso cream
nivea ASB
Taylor's bay rum

very nice shave, getting use to the smell of the bay rum

If you can find it - try Benjamin's Bay Rum. It is about £2.50 for 200ml from those places that sell hair products, serums, waxes, extentions etc. You'll usually find them where there's a West Indian community.

Tuesday

Wilkinson Sword Classic(!)
Irisch Moos
EJ Pure Badger
Wilko German (2)
Aqua Velva

I have found budget shave nirvana... the 3.25 Wilkinson Sword Classic is lovely... it either shaves or it doesn't, meaning very little irritation. The blade gap is not too narrow and as long as your angle is good it does shave close.

I'm impressed!

Tuesday

Merkur 38c BP
Dorco super stainless (Not so shape)
No name best badger
TOC aromatherapy (A Pif from Naked Ape)
Original source ASB (with whole leaf aloe and ginseng milk)
Old spice original

A 4 pass shave instead of my usual 3 Due to blade being on the Crap side Bad
Got there in the end, And my thanks again to Naked Ape.

Wednesday

Gillette 'Old' Ball End OC (first use since aquisition & refurb.).
ToBS Cream (Mr T)
EJ Pure
Astra SP (1)

Proraso AS
Proraso ASB

A good outcome in terms of 'de-forestation' but my face feels a tad raw. Perhaps the blade / razor mix is not right?

We'll see what tomorrow morning brings and then decide on tactics or simply a quick return to my beloved Muhle.

Wednesday

Semogue 1470
Wool Fat
Merkur HD
gillette Super Thin D1
Alum
Thayers with Aloe.
Pineaud Clubman

The new brush got to grips with the wool fat and lathered me up nicely

Wednesday (where did Tuesday go?)

Kent BK4
Tabac soap
Rotbart (from Millay's Emsworth Emporium)
Indian Wilkinson (3)
Tabac AS

Jings! Crivens! Help ma Boab! That was a close but incredibly enjoyable shave - if you put a Feather in a Rotbart you could do a serious mischief. The only thing that comes close in aggression is the 1935 British No. 47 I have which is like clumsily waving a scimitar near your face. Heard every whisker being cut.

Wednesday

Merkur 38c BP
Feather
Connaught lavender cream
Vufix pure badger
Nivea ASB
Pierre Cardin winter Edition ( B&M special only £1-99)

Not a bad shave but Feather starting to get blunt after three shaves, not had that before, normally get more out of them, but the smelly turn out OK

Thursday

Muhle R41.
Palmolive Cream.
EJ Pure Badger.
Astra SP (2).

Proraso AS.
Proraso ASB.

After feeling a tad face-raw yesterday and seeing similar comments and results on "other places" I decided that perhaps the Gillette 'Old' Ball End OC is not right at the moment...

A quick return to my beloved Muhle; perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.