Shave of the day w/c Saturday 12th September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

They did continue into the 60s - but the knurling patterns on the handle changed too - you can see it happen on the Superspeeds and it's not beyond the wit of man to think the Rockets followed a similar pattern (you see both British & US TV specials that are patterned the same, both released in 1958 for example)

Thursday:
Gillette Mach3 Turbo
Vulfix Boar Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Taylor's of Old Bond St #74 Collection Victorian Limes Aftershave

The vulfix is normally my travel brush but I gave it a run out today and it worked perfectly.

I don't do 'billiard ball smooth' but without even trying the Mach3 has taken every single trace of hair off my grid in one pass . . . and this is a blade (well, 3 actually) that has been used to shave my head at least half a dozen times.

So it is a case of "plume de ma tente" as they say round 'ere.

Thursday

Mach 3
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Kent (MWF) Soap
L'Occitane Cade a/s

Tried something different today. 2 Passes, 1 down, 1 up. Result? A very smooth face that was achieved very quickly and without drama.

So, to echo Vinny's sentiments, 'beurre de singe' as they say in this neck of the woods.

Ian

Thursday:

Merkur 38C, red personna
Semogue 1305
L'Occitane cade soap
TOBS Mr Taylors Luxury A/S balm

First time use of the cade. Lathered into bowl then 'paint' lathered to face for first two passes. Didn't feel that the lather was a thick enough mixture when applied despite it appearing 'right' in the bowl. For third pass I applied the lather with circular movements. Bingo! The texture immediately changed to a more textured mix (trouble finding the right word here) The overall shave was very smooth as I finished as usual with a very light pass against the grain.

The Mr Taylor balm is really a gel. Very nice. Absolutely no stickiness.

I know I must not get stuck on my preference for bowl lathering with soaps. It works well with my MWF and eventually it was fine here. Trial and error I guess.

Friday:
Gillette HD Rocket / Red Personna
Simpson Duke 2 Pure
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Taylors Victorian Lime aftershave

I am missing my "hirstute appendage of the upper lip, with graspable extremities" so have decided to grow it again.

Thursday

Wilkinson soap
Men-U Boar
Undated Superspeed
7 o'clock extra sharp
Harvard A/S

Totally sh1t shave, the soap and brush went in the bin The superspeed was an ebay purchase, was listed as an adjustable by someone who obviously didn't know what they were on about. I've got a '71 superspeed I use occasionally but I really didn't like the feel of this one.

Friday

Kent/MWF
EJ Best
Wilkie Classic razor+blade
Harvard A/S

Better than yesterday, blade felt a bit rough but it's been in there a while. I think I'll go for the feather portable tomorrow, haven't used it for a while. The straight will have to wait as I'm on nights at the moment and don't fancy going in with my face covered in bits of bog roll I get to give my slant a whirl next week too, have to wait 'til my birthday though!

Friday (evening):
My new Czech & Speake #88 shaving soap came today, so rather than wait 'til tomorrow I decided to shave tonight. You know how it is, right?

5/8 Hoffritz
Duke 2 Pure
C&S #88 soap

Nice.

Gillette New + Feather
Tabac + Golden Nib Finest
Alum
Witchhazel
DR Harris Sandalwood AS

First proper shave with a New, worked well with the Feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.