Shave of the day w/c Saturday 12th September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrowhead said:
Aah, I see. Do I take it that the flared version was introduced in '55 then (I understand that they continued into the '60's)? Although I still prefer the look of the 40's Superspeed / Rocket (no more ornamentation than you'd find on a centre punch), I'm rapidly coming round to thinking that the Rocket is the best shaving tool I own.

They did continue into the 60s - but the knurling patterns on the handle changed too - you can see it happen on the Superspeeds and it's not beyond the wit of man to think the Rockets followed a similar pattern (you see both British & US TV specials that are patterned the same, both released in 1958 for example)

Thursday:
Gillette Mach3 Turbo
Vulfix Boar Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Taylor's of Old Bond St #74 Collection Victorian Limes Aftershave

The vulfix is normally my travel brush but I gave it a run out today and it worked perfectly.

I don't do 'billiard ball smooth' but without even trying the Mach3 has taken every single trace of hair off my grid in one pass . . . and this is a blade (well, 3 actually) that has been used to shave my head at least half a dozen times.

So it is a case of "plume de ma tente" as they say round 'ere.

Thursday

Mach 3
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Kent (MWF) Soap
L'Occitane Cade a/s

Tried something different today. 2 Passes, 1 down, 1 up. Result? A very smooth face that was achieved very quickly and without drama.

So, to echo Vinny's sentiments, 'beurre de singe' as they say in this neck of the woods.

Ian

Thursday:

Merkur 38C, red personna
Semogue 1305
L'Occitane cade soap
TOBS Mr Taylors Luxury A/S balm

First time use of the cade. Lathered into bowl then 'paint' lathered to face for first two passes. Didn't feel that the lather was a thick enough mixture when applied despite it appearing 'right' in the bowl. For third pass I applied the lather with circular movements. Bingo! The texture immediately changed to a more textured mix (trouble finding the right word here) The overall shave was very smooth as I finished as usual with a very light pass against the grain.

The Mr Taylor balm is really a gel. Very nice. Absolutely no stickiness.

I know I must not get stuck on my preference for bowl lathering with soaps. It works well with my MWF and eventually it was fine here. Trial and error I guess.

Friday:
Gillette HD Rocket / Red Personna
Simpson Duke 2 Pure
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Taylors Victorian Lime aftershave

I am missing my "hirstute appendage of the upper lip, with graspable extremities" so have decided to grow it again.

Thursday

Wilkinson soap
Men-U Boar
Undated Superspeed
7 o'clock extra sharp
Harvard A/S

Totally sh1t shave, the soap and brush went in the bin :( The superspeed was an ebay purchase, was listed as an adjustable by someone who obviously didn't know what they were on about. I've got a '71 superspeed I use occasionally but I really didn't like the feel of this one.

Friday

Kent/MWF
EJ Best
Wilkie Classic razor+blade
Harvard A/S

Better than yesterday, blade felt a bit rough but it's been in there a while. I think I'll go for the feather portable tomorrow, haven't used it for a while. The straight will have to wait as I'm on nights at the moment and don't fancy going in with my face covered in bits of bog roll :D I get to give my slant a whirl next week too, have to wait 'til my birthday though!

Friday (evening):
My new Czech & Speake #88 shaving soap came today, so rather than wait 'til tomorrow I decided to shave tonight. You know how it is, right?

5/8 Hoffritz
Duke 2 Pure
C&S #88 soap

Nice.

Gillette New + Feather
Tabac + Golden Nib Finest
Alum
Witchhazel
DR Harris Sandalwood AS

First proper shave with a New, worked well with the Feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom