SE v DE Razors

Sincere apologies if this question has been raised before (and I suspect it has).
I tried and failed miserably with DE razors, just could not get the hang of it and kept cutting myself. I have used and now still do use cartridge razors, my favorite of which is the now defunct Gillette Sensor (not the excel).
However I have recently been drawn to perhaps try the SE razor, to me the heads look more compact than the DE (obviously as they only take half a DE blade); but I was wondering if you can get more control with a SE and if this may be worth trying. I suspect that the comments related to the actual blades used hold true to both DE and SE razors?
If my very basic observations are worthy of any consideration, would it be at all possible for any advice as to which razor I should initially try to establish if the method of shaving is worth trying out / pursuing. I would prefer to use standard DE blades that I can break in half to begin with before venturing into injector blades etc, if I decide to go down that route.
Thank you for any responses.

I can't help but you read my mind posting this so I will be looking in with interest. I have no problem with DE and no *need* for an alternative (DE being my alternative to straights anyway!) but I have seen so many posts extolling the virtues of SE that I feel like I'm missing out, but I am confused. There seem to be a lot of types, vintage 1912s, MM, injector, half DE, AC... Are they all better than DE, or are half DE SEs just the same but easier to use for being smaller? Where does the SE benefit lie? Size, the wider/sharper AC blades, a mix of blade and head size? My question is not 100% the same but I am interested in the answers you receive.

I’ve gone the other way. I get no issues with DE razors but SE razor blades just don’t work on face. Not sure if it’s because proper SE blades (rather than DE blades snapped in half) are stiffer but my skin always reacts. No issues with DE shaving. if you want to try you can probably pick up an injector razor off the bay for not a lot of money.

I suppose, stating the obvious that SE is exactly the same as DE except of course with half a blade? I thought that as the actual razor was perhaps a little less cumbersome you may have a little more control of the actual shave and get to the difficult parts of the face a little easier ie under the nose etc?

I’ve gone the other way. I get no issues with DE razors but SE razor blades just don’t work on face. Not sure if it’s because proper SE blades (rather than DE blades snapped in half) are stiffer but my skin always reacts. No issues with DE shaving. if you want to try you can probably pick up an injector razor off the bay for not a lot of money.
Angle? 30 degrees?

I suppose, stating the obvious that SE is exactly the same as DE except of course with half a blade? I thought that as the actual razor was perhaps a little less cumbersome you may have a little more control of the actual shave and get to the difficult parts of the face a little easier ie under the nose etc?
There’s razor ms with single edges that use half de blades, and single edge razors that use other types of blades such as artist club blades. There’s also single edge razors that use injector blades!

Half a DE blade is worse than one DE blade.
You get a DE blade with even less rigidity. If that is possible.
I recommend using proper SE razors (GEM, injector, AC).

Get a 1912 for under a tenner, some blades from Connaughts and never look back.

Angle? 30 degrees?
Tried all angles, wetter lather, different razors and different blades. All have one thing in common, my face erupts like I shaved with the most aggressive DE razor with the safety bar removed. Never happens with DE razors, although I tend towards the milder style of DE razor. This is definitely a prime example of your mileage may vary as the converts swear by their SE razors. Mine will be going on the BST when I can get my act together and do the pictures.

Tried all angles, wetter lather, different razors and different blades. All have one thing in common, my face erupts like I shaved with the most aggressive DE razor with the safety bar removed. Never happens with DE razors, although I tend towards the milder style of DE razor. This is definitely a prime example of your mileage may vary as the converts swear by their SE razors. Mine will be going on the BST when I can get my act together and do the pictures.
Which razor is it?
For most SE razors the correct angle is head flat on the face.
And of course: NO PRESSURE.

Having tried SE in GEM, AC, injectors and half DE formats and your previous DE experience I wouldn't recommend trying half DE SE. It's just another DE razor that has only one side.
The different experience with SEs is indeed blade rigidity and width (I'm mainly thinking of AC blades here). In terms of thechnique which SE employ is not much different that DE. With the exception of injectors of course which require a different angle all together.
If DE usage in your case resulted in cuts and overall negative experience it may well be the same outcome with SEs. But YMMV so you never know.
Follow the sound advice above of investing little in a GEM razor, blades are cheap as well so you can't go wrong.

I am ok with DE razors but I also have a few SE razors and use them more than DE razors. I find them easier to use I like a light razor, not sure if you want a recommendation but my favourite is the MARS, it is adjustable in that comes with different plates from mild to aggressive it is fixed head but the blade angle is preset for you. It’s an absolute no brainer if you are struggling to get used to DE razors and it won’t break the bank.

YMMV

For what it is worth, I am a SE lover. Have several vintage Schicks (4), some Artist Club razors (Hawk, General, ATT SE1) and since about a week a Leaf - the Twig. This last one does indeed take half a DE blade.

If you like cartridge shaving, I reckon this is the perfect razor for you. It is near impossible to cut yourself with it, while it does deliver a very fine shave with excellent result. Feels intuitive as well and the correct angle is easily found. Some may argue it is not as efficient as some razors.... they are right. But still, for a daily shave a very good razor indeed. So far, I have done 4 shaves, with the same half blade (Personna comfort coated). Will give it a 5th go tomorrow. Even if that is the max - of which I am not sure yet - you still get 10 shaves from 1 blade. And that is even for the money-savers among us very good!

Attachments

• leaf_twig_003.jpg
    leaf_twig_003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 7
Half a DE blade is worse than one DE blade.
You get a DE blade with even less rigidity. If that is possible.
I recommend using proper SE razors (GEM, injector, AC).

Get a 1912 for under a tenner, some blades from Connaughts and never look back.
I recently got round to acquiring some GEM Personna blades for my 1912 and 1914 ER razors which i had never used since purchase.
Having not used a SE razor before, I'm in that honeymoon phase where after every shave, I'm left feeling amazed.
I am still struggling to accept just how good they are.

Love SE's

I do use the GEM based razors but not too often as my preference leans towards the AC razors and they are pretty hard to beat.

Better blade life. Probably get as many as 20 shaves from a blade but nominally around 12

Quicker shaves by far due the size of the blade

Less blade chatter and more rigid which gives for a nice smooth effective shave with less irritation.

Less blade choice which is a massive plus, and in general they are all pretty damn good.

The razors themselves tend to be better quality.

Just a few plus points from my perspective

Not to say I am anti-DE as my favourite happens to be a DE in the Ikon B1

I only have the one 'half DE blade' razor and that is the Rocnel SE-P. It is incredibly aggressive and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't had experience on this side of shaving and razors. But shit, I can't think of any razor which shaves so damn close without removing skin

Other than trying a GEM (Ever easy 1912's etc) as a nice cheap way in to SE, a Razorock Hawk V3 or an Executive shaving Claymore Evolution are super ways in.

I highly recommend trying an SE

Back
Top Bottom