Sabini prototype

An interesting development. Another thread deals with my Rooney research which didn't get too far.

I now have a brush from the Sabini stable via Ebay. So I have taken the opportunity to exchange information with him. And it will continue. This brush is a prototype that may or may not end up in production as one brand or another. Lee hopes I will openly pass on my observations about the brush. So here they are.

Here's the brush as new:

RPR.jpg

And after a few sessions:

RPS.jpg

The handle height is 57 mm, the knot is 24 mm with a loft of 50 mm. It has just about the most dense brush hair of any I have seen so far. And this has consequences. Look at the bloom. See how it compares with A Simpsons Chubby 2:

DSC_2536.jpg

DSC_2537.jpg

Brushes like this are fun to use. But not very practical for daily use - a weekend treat. And then it's really only as a brush to create lather from cream in a bowl and to paint it on. Pure luxury.

So the point is. Dense knots may seem attractive, but as with everything, excess is not always a good thing. I'm really delighted to have the brush. But bigger brushes are expensive, and do have limitations if too dense. Not really suitable for face latherers who like to control where the lather goes.

DSC_2536.jpg

Just the particular knot used to make the brush. The Chubby is just about the right density to ensure firmness of backbone and the softness that produces a real luxury experience. My Duke 3 Best hardly bloomed at all. Another fine brush. I still have my sights on a Polo 14 - I cannot begin to imagine how anything that big can be used. But I'm looking forward to trying.

That Rooney prototype does look impressive, I would definitely use it more regularly than just on the weekend if I had it, how old is this particular prototype?

Currently I use a Chubby 3 mostly (which is super dense) and don't find it difficult to face lather with, so I wouldn't have a problem using this brush if Rooney do decide to make them, it just comes down to what you get used to and the kind of feel you're after.

Fido said:
Just the particular knot used to make the brush. The Chubby is just about the right density to ensure firmness of backbone and the softness that produces a real luxury experience. My Duke 3 Best hardly bloomed at all. Another fine brush. I still have my sights on a Polo 14 - I cannot begin to imagine how anything that big can be used. But I'm looking forward to trying.

Sorry Fido I mean't what do you put the super bloom on the Rooney down to.

Just the sheer density of the knot. I suppose it would bloom less at a lower loft but would then be a lather hog. I'm becoming quite attached to the thing - I'm keeping an eye on it right now.

TV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom