S.O.T.D. Saturday 6th May to Friday 12th May 2017

Tues 9th May

RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
La Toja cream
Ever Ready 1914- 12 tooth
Gem coated [ 5 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
La Toja A/S lotion

My first time in a while that I have used the 1914 without a shim. Had almost forgotten the sound it makes when cutting, as well as amount of blade feel- which warns you not to rush. In comparison all my modern SE Razors feel quite mild and more forgiving.

Whilst the Shave was smooth enough, there was always a hint that if not careful the Razor could bite. I was pleased to be rewarded with a nice close all round Shave. I think much greater expertise is required when using Vintage SEs, so anyone trying to make the jump from modern SEs to vintage may be in for a surprise.

IMG_1281.jpg

SOTD 20170509

hY1DjfT.jpg

Brush: J&T® bamboo / Tuxedo synthetic 24 mm.
Shaving soap: TFS Barba Verde.
Razor: Blackland "Blackbird" OC with long (101 mm) handle.
Blade: Racer Super Class Platinum (3).
After shave: Alcolado Glacial.

Nice and fresh shave during our short holiday.

Have a nice day, gentlemen ! :)

Nice Jan!

Err.. who's that guy in your bathroom?:rolleyes::D

While the GEM Blue Star made for a good if unexceptional shave in the 1914, the Feather Pro turns it up to...14. Cuts through stubble on the back of my head in one pass where others fail with three. Shaves like the departed RR Hawk if anything, but I prefer the form factor of the 1914. Super.
4473f5cf3d8caf119dc8bdf6f7b2aac6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It all depends on what type of brush you want, badger boar horse or synthetic, if it's a good boar you are looking for, you can't go wrong with the Semouge 2000. Or another MP badger brush if you like it and have got used to it over the last six years, so many badger brushes out there and I can only recommend the brushes I have and all of my badgers are above your price range but I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

@Paul L I LOVE!! my Semouge 2000 it's FANTASTIC you can't go wrong with this at all.
EKrHS0S.jpg

Also you can't go wrong with all these brushes below as well and you don't have to spend a lot of money on Simpson, Shavemac, Thater or any other super high quality brushes.
qM43Im6.jpg
YN8KgAn.jpg
QjwgxPH.jpg
Ii78SQj.jpg

Afternoon Gents,

Last night's final shave report with the Tradere OC pass around razor. Haven't had the chance to type this up until now.

It was my first use of my birthday brush (raffle win) ICShaving brush with a 24mm Tuxedo knot. This brush resin is gorgeous, very, very nice. The knot itself is one of, if not the best synthetic knot I've used, but it needs a couple more used.

I used Wickham 1912 Irish Fern, a lovely, clean smelling soap. The brush whipped up a great face lather, but I actually think it might be better suited to bowl lathering. I don't have many brushes I like to use with bowls and I have two lovely scuttles so it's definitely one for me to explore.

On to the razor itself. It's been an up and down few shaves with it, sometimes a bit of irritation and too much blade feel, but that was when I didn't have much stubble. The times I had a few days to mow through I had a really good shave, last nights was the best, using a fresh Astra SP and a few days growth a fantastic two pass shave was achieved.

Thank you to @celar for the opportunity to use this lovely razor, unfortunately, it isn't the unicorn razor that would justify the cost, but it was a great experience regardless. The razor was sent off to Nico earlier this morning and he has the tracking number!

img_20170508_222908-01-jpeg.11738

@Paul L I LOVE!! my Semouge 2000 it's FANTASTIC you can't go wrong with this at all.
EKrHS0S.jpg

Also you can't go wrong with all these brushes below as well and you don't have to spend a lot of money on Simpson, Shavemac, Thater or any other super high quality brushes.
qM43Im6.jpg
YN8KgAn.jpg
QjwgxPH.jpg
Ii78SQj.jpg

I would also recommend the 1305 Semogue boar - and Vie Long horses - if we are talking superb performance for not a lot of money - cheers - I

Back
Top Bottom