S.O.T.D. Saturday 26th December 2015 to Friday 1st January 2016

New Years Day shave:

Preshave: shower
Soap: Père Lucien Nature
Brush: SOC boar bristle with cherry handle
Razor: British travel tech
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (3rd use)
Post shave: alum block
Aftershave: Proraso Blue

image.jpeg

3 passes, WTG, XTG ear to nose then XTG nose to ear. Very smooth shave and for once not cuts, didn't need the red towel after all! I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that despite all my razors, I seem to get the nicest shaves with a Tech. Maybe not the closest shave but definitely the most enjoyable and least bloody.

Last edited:
GXwV7Mgh.jpg

New Years Day Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary SE
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Feather (1st)
Post #1: Dermalogica Post-Shave Balm
Post #2: Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Scent: Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

Happy New Year to you all!

New Years Day

RazoRock XXX
Semogue 2012 SE
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM blade
Alum
Fitjar Folgefonn ASB

A great afternoon shave with some of my favourite gear. Top finish with the Folgefonn ASB, eye watering menthol blast helps to clear a slightly foggy head!

Happy New Year TSR!

The Brass has taken hold and I have not even had the Hone for the passround yet... /sigh it's going to be a long year.

Hot shower, not so hot towel.
Razorock Synthetic (Barber)
OSP, Grapefruit and Menthol. (great soap great menthol clean feeling after)
Gillette New OC, (I think).
Alum, Witch hazel.
Al Maqam (Just bottled extract of Awesome).

First time with this new razor, soap, and brush, can't find fault with any of the 3.

IMG_2663.JPG

RazoRock Zi Peppino
Vie Long Amphora w/ Purtech
Pre-Shave Lather & Wash
Face Lathered
Ever Ready 1912 'Peerless' (Round)
GEM Stainless (4)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Alt Innsbruck Aftershave Cologne
Jacques Bogart Pour Homme EDT

Friday 1 January 2016

223209d1451666865-sun-december-27th-sat-january-02nd-sotd-01012016.jpg

New Year's Day Shave

Everytime I shave I always think a lot about what to pick for shaving. Which razor - this is easy as I usually end up picking a Mastro Livi - which soap or cream, which aftershave, which brush. Everytime I shave I always think I have too many soaps and I really mean this. I think I now have about one hundred different soaps, to which are added the ones I personally make. For this reason, everytime it is very hard to pick one but I have to make a decision. This time I opted for this Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather Shaving Cream and I admit I liked it, fragrance in particular. I also opted for this very special Mastro Livi razor, a very limited edition of which have been made just three of them. It was in fact made in occasion of the meet up we had with a bunch of fellow wet shavers in Perugia at Mastro Livi's laboratory one year ago - 13.12.2014 is the date of the meet up, 13 december 2014 - and this is the razor made for celebrating that event. A great straight razor made of stainless steel, a super performer, super smooth and velvety, for an impeccable shave.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush #49 Red
  • Bowl: Bamboo Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Perugia 13.12.14", 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Suavecito Bay Rum

First shave of the New Year, hopefully not the way things will continue. It was a "can't argue with results" kind of shave , close with no irritation. The "problem" is this Shavemac custom brush unfortunately.
My wife got it for me as a Christmas present away back at the beginning when I didn't know anything about brushes let alone her . This should have been a 30mm knot but it's actually a 34mm. I suppose we felt bigger and more expensive was the way to go but alas it wasn't.
As beautifully made and decadent looking this brush is, it's just far to big of a knot. It was a custom made gift and as you can see is personalised. It just absorbs all put in front of it, a lather hog of the highest order.
A little of this cream goes a long way and the amount I used would normally be enough to do 3 passes and touch ups. I got 1 pass and a bit but it was enough. I suppose it will be a very expensive den ornament.
I may contact Shavemac and ask them if there is anything they can do with the existing knot and handle, who knows!
Boo hoo , poor me! :)

Penhaligon's Sartorial Shave Cream
Shavemac Custom "Der Kaiser" Brush
Stealth Slant
Personna 74 (21)
Penhaligon's Sartorial Edt
Penhaligon's Sartorial Deodorant Stick
861d6b3772adcc6f57447ca342b00cb1.jpg

Happy New Year everyone.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso - Sandalwood
Soap: Tabac
Bowl: Woodhead Tall Large Scuttle
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic
Razor: Merker 45c Bakelite
Blade: Gillette Rubie (2)
After: WH, Tabac AS, Tabac ASB

It may well be New Year's Day but it's also Friday and that means... Tabac, yay!

49185630-0791-4a8a-92d8-4d3c99661aac_zpsldvnnakr.jpg

New blade to start a new year.

WfXa6ie.jpg

• OneBlade
• Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
• Plisson Faux Horn
• Soap Commander Fortitude
• Barrister & Mann Leviathan

After 3 shaves with a de-spined GEM blade it was time to start with the FHS blade. I'll do 3 with this one and then switch back to the GEM. I'll alternate every 3 shaves as long as I can on to compare them.

Today's shave was another great one. Since I am in super analytical mode I would say that I had the slightest bit of increased irritation after using the Feather compared to the GEM.

Ne'ers Day:

Merkur 34c, Lab Blue
Hand carved Ash Boar
Palmolive Cream
Benjy's Bay Rum
Astral
Old Spice Lime used as Cologne
'Tache time - no more shaving the top lip for the rest of the year....
moustache_smiley_customisable_background_colour_round_sticker-re0deeea9fc5043cda1ed50ec2389d08d_v9waf_8byvr_50.jpg

Back
Top Bottom