S.O.T.D. Saturday 25th March to Friday 31st March 2017

Hope you had a good weekend? I'm still recovering from mine. Thank you for all the birthday messages I really appreciate it.
This shave report is from Saturday afternoon but I had to go straight out and didn't have time to post anything on SOTD. Since my return on Sunday I've been feeling a bit ‘'tired'' shall we say.

A big thank you to @patw for sending me a sample of The Gentleman's Groom Room ‘Mountain Yew'. I'm afraid I wasn't a fan of the soap. The scent before it's lathered was nice enough but once lathered I really didn't like the smell at all. I can't place the smell but it seemed to smell like stew? It's the first time I've used a glycerine based soap and it lathered up OK but I didn't find it very protective or that slick. To save this soap going to waste I will sent it to the first person who sends me a PM. I've spoken with Pat and he's happy with this. EDIT: The soap is now off to @Bizzyberry

I must admit to having a terrible shave on Saturday. There were a few factors which might have caused this. I've been using the General SE over a week or so and before that the Hone 15, so it had been a while since I'd used the S2.

Going back to the S2 I couldn't believe how rough it was compared to the General. I was tempted to abort the shave and swap back to the General but I stuck with it (the little Solider that I am). I had to go over a few places a number of times which I don't normally have to do when using the S2. Not sure whether it was the blade (used once but two weeks old), going back to a heavier DE razor or maybe the soap was lacking on the protection front? Either way it was an uncomfortable shave with a few weepers. Luckily I had a few light ales to forget all about it.

To end on a more positive note. The SV brush was an absolute joy to use. Have I ever mentioned who much I love this brush?

Have a good day chaps and thanks again to Pat for the sample.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
ba07a31af1ab7d5d434c1d180cbc437f.jpg

Gart...

Hope you had a good weekend? I'm still recovering from mine. Thank you for all the birthday messages I really appreciate it. This shave was report is from Saturday afternoon but I had to go straight out and didn't have time to post anything on SOTD. Since my return on Sunday I've been feeling a bit ‘'tired'' shall we say.

A big thank you to @patw for sending me a sample of The Gentleman's Groom Room ‘Mountain Yew'. I'm afraid I wasn't a fan of the soap. The scent before it's lathered was nice enough but once lathered I really didn't like the smell at all. I can't place the smell but it seemed to smell like stew? It's the first time I've used a glycerine based soap and it lathered up OK but I didn't find it very protective or that slick. To save this soap going to waste I will sent it to the first person who sends me a PM. I've spoken with Pat and he's happy with this.

I must admit to having a terrible shave on Saturday. There were a few factors which might have caused this. I've been using the General SE over a week or so and before that the Hone 15, so it had been a while since I'd used the S2.

Going back to the S2 I couldn't believe how rough it was compared to the General. I was tempted to abort the shave and swap back to the General but I stuck with it (the little Solider that I am). I had to go over a few places a number of times which I don't normally have to do when using the S2. Not sure whether it was the blade (used once but two weeks old), going back to a heavier DE razor or maybe the soap was lacking on the protection front? Either way it was an uncomfortable shave with a few weepers. Luckily I had a few light ales to forget all about it.

To end on a more positive note. The SV brush was an absolute joy to use. Have I ever mentioned who much I love this brush?

Have a good day chaps and thanks again to Pat for the sample.

Cheers
Rob
It's not Mountain Yew, it's Mountain Stew :) put your glasses on :)

Monday 27th March

SOTD 27th mar.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso Red
Razor: iKon 101
Blade: Lord Classic (#1)
Brush: Hans Baier Sliver Tip
Soap: Fine Platinum
AS: Fine Platinum

Another fantastic shave today, first time using a Lord Classic blade and the Fine Soap/AS. Very impressed with the Fine soap and after shave.

Last edited:
It was a busy weekend, so I'm just getting around to posting these pics..

Saturday's shave..

33639464956_5eaf968f8d_c.jpg

I let my partner pick out my shave gear; she selected my new Razorock soap (she loves the smell) and my Kong brush (she's jealous of how soft it is and wishes it was her makeup brush). She paired the two with the Rockwell 6s and I chose plate #6 and a new Astra SP.

A very pleasant and close shave with a very nice post shave feel. I enjoyed the slight hint of menthol when washing my face with cold water at the end. The 6s continues to impress me.

I finished it off with some Thayers witch hazel and Nivea balm.

Sunday's shave was a little different..

32866819103_94edc9e622_c.jpg

I'm still having problems with the Merkur Futur (but I'm okay with a R41 + feather blade!).

I went for setting 2.5 with the Astra SP blade (2) used the day before.

I'm still getting quite a few weepers with this razor. I think I will have to play around with the different settings and blade combos.

The SV Cosmo soap performed well, and the Omega pro 49 brush is still one of my favorites and I find myself grabbing it more often than my Simpson Chubby 2 in best. I guess it proves that you don't have to spend a lot to get good gear.

I had some mild irritation, and the alum block stung. Finished the shave off with some St James of London post shave gel that calmed things down.

Still got a long way to go with the Futur, hopefully my patience will pay off!

ff4z1t.jpg

Brush: Vie Long 04503
Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Double Open Comb
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements 11235
Post: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel & 4711 Aftershave and Cologne

A Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and 4711 inspired shave today. The brush is about 25% stinky compared to its first use, slowly but surely getting de-stunk! I sniffed my other natural hairs and I think there will always be an underlying scent with a natural hair, it'll never be completely neutral I think.

A lovely mild shaving razor despite the look of it, before I first used it I expected a blood bath but it is the mildest OC I have tried. I used an unbranded blade I purchased from the supermarket (ASDA) last year, not bad. I can't recall trying it before but it was certainly better than a Derby, mid tier blade in my opinion.

The soap is one of my favourites, a dead replica of 4711. I would however love if 4711 ever came out with a shaving soap.

The Ikon Tech is such a challenge I thought taking another spin would help me figure it out. Beard was easy, nice if bladey two pass BBS. Head shave was still tricky but no weepers and ultimately an extremely close irritation free shave. Not for kids. Oil only.

924004b69e04ceaeea213cc74f312c91.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Pre: Gillette Series Irritation Defence Pre Shave Wash
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #16
Blade: Schick Premium (Germany) (2)
Soap: NOS Figaro P160
Brush: WD 24mm Synthetic (Ubersoft II)

d78d1dc2b99fb11bbcca9dd29e0b61b4.jpg

P160 did the job admirably as usual. This is the second Schick Premium blade I've used from a sampler bought from Russia a couple of years back. The provenance of these blades is a slight mystery; from what I can tell they are made in Germany and sold in Eastern Europe. Not quite a great blade, but certainly very good in the #16 and dealt with 2 days worth of growth very efficiently.

Monday's shave.

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap,The Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep Plus.
Razor - Muhle Rocca, R96.
Blade - Gillette Nacet (Platinum) (day 2).
Soap - Executive Shaving, Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger
Post shave - Myrsol "Metilsol" Astringent After Shave.

Enjoyed using the Rocca again however, I have decided to bin the Nacet blades. For some reason, unless this was a bad pack, I find that these drag when I shave. I appreciate YMMV.

Monday's shave.

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap,The Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep Plus.
Razor - Muhle Rocca, R96.
Blade - Gillette Nacet (Platinum) (day 2).
Soap - Executive Shaving, Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger
Post shave - Myrsol "Metilsol" Astringent After Shave.

Enjoyed using the Rocca again however, I have decided to bin the Nacet blades. For some reason, unless this was a bad pack, I find that these drag when I shave. I appreciate YMMV.
Maybe try another pack before you give up on them altogether......normaly very good blades but as you say YMMV :)

Back
Top Bottom