S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th December to Friday 26th December 2014

Prep: Village Barber Oil
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: Simpsons P8
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO U2
Splash: Dr Harris Windsor
Balm: L'Occitane Baux

First run for this soap and I'm very impressed but should expect nothing less from this brand. BBS for Christmas.
[attachment=12570]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419504830.622658.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419504830.622658.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 13
Not shaving today (the Gillette new is so efficient I have hardly nothing to mow).
Planned shave for boxing day which is my late dad birthday, so will use the same gear he used.

Brush: Vintage OMEGA boar
Cream: Mem Olive
Razor: 1970 Gillette SlimTwist
Blade: Personna Edisson (1)
Witch Hazel
EDT: Spanish Williams Aqua Velva edt

Thursday December 25, 2014

Thursday December 25, 2014

188665d1419509910-sun-december-21st-sat-december-27th-sotd-25122014.jpg

Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai

A luxury shave. A superior shaving soap, an impeccable brush and a superlative straight razor. And, by the way, my humble Bay Rum aftershave. Mastro Livi Damascus has an absolutely super smooth touch, velvety yet effective, not to mention the superior slickness and performance of the excellent Boellis Panama 1924 shaving soap: the result is memorable. A generous splash of my Bay Rum and, ladies and gentlemen, here it is my very luxurious shave!​

• Pre-Shave: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Boellis Panama 1924 Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger, Madagascar Ebony Handle, 26 mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum Aftershave

Prep: shower and cold water splash
Soap: Derby lavender
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem stainless
After: Givency Gentleman after shave

Great shave fourth with the blade. After about 18 months of going back from cartridge shaving still keep catching myself at the corner of my mouth. Any ideas to stop this gratefully accepted.

Looking forward to trying my Christmas present a lovely shiny d3 birth year Fatboy tomorrow.

Have a great Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Paul

Thursday 25th December

SOTD251214_zps77373a75.jpg

Warm shower
Hot towel
B&M Fougere Imperiale scuttle lathered
HMW Badger brush made by myself
Gillette Bulldog (1920)
Vintage Iridium (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
T&H Grafton aftershave

A fine set of Hardware and Software made for a lovely shave today. A Merry Christmas to everyone.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: NSS Warm Spice + Bay Rum EO
Bowl: Woodhead Large Tall Scuttle
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair 13061M
Razor: 1914 SE + globalneedz handle
Blade: Gem (5)
After: Barbershop Bay Rum, Zirh ASB, Murdock Patchouli Cologne

What a lovely shave on this Christmas afternoon. Nanny's soap felt seasonally spicy topped with a drop of bay rum essential oil.
This is the second time in a run that this 1914 razor has given me an excellent BBS. It's patently 100 years old now and is battered and is missing the side blade-holder clips but that doesn't stop it being one of my very best performers. It was kindly given to me by a member of these forums; now that's Christmas spirit and it wasn't even Christmas.

First time use of the Murdock Patchouli cologne received from SWMBO as a gift today. Very nice deep scent.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

SOTD141225_zps4a1b467c.jpg

Christmas Shave

Hot Shower
Chinese bamboo synthetic brush
Penhaligons Endymion Shave Cream
iKon Slant
Gillette Silver Blue Blade (3)
Myrsol "F-Extra"
Penhaligons Endymion Cologne

Lovely shave, have a GREAT day folks!

Great shave. The Shaving Station say the version of The Captain they carry is the only Tallow version available! Slickest soap I have used to date without a doubt. Top post shave too.

Merry Christmas gents!

Cold water splash
Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere
Simpson P8 in Super
ATT M2 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (5)
Proraso ASB Eucalyptus & Menthol
Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Very enjoyable Christmas shave and a great day with the family.

Wednesday, 24.xii.2014

Prebarba Proraso
Semogue Barbear Clássico Mistura
JabonMan Barbear Clássico Peperilla
Feather All Stainless AS-D2
Gillette Silver Blue
Manufaktura Beer ASB

P1090036.jpg

Have a great week, gentlemen!

Thursday, 25.xii.2014

Prebarba Proraso
Semogue TSN prototipo
Tabula Rasa TSN Steampunk
Feather All Stainless AS-D2
Gillette Silver Blue
Musgo Real ASB

P1090037.jpg

Merry Christmas, gentlemen!

Greetings

Boxing Day
Friday 26th December 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Semogue OC SE 2012 Mixed
Soap: Moullton Brown (an also ran)
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)
EDT: Terre D'Hermes

My eighth and final shave with the Cobra kindly lent to me by UK Rob. I think eight shaves on consecutive days is a very fair test of a razor and blades and without wishing to bore you I would sum up my feelings thus:-

The Cobra is quite an aggressive razor the blade gap is just slightly greater than a Schick E and the blade protrusion about the same (ie the distance from the blades edge to the end of the safety bar) The aggression is further increased by the heavy weight of the razor but especially so by the ultra sharp blades that it utilises.

I found that presenting the razor to the face at the correct angle to be no problem at all but I am very familiar with both injectors and SE razors.

The extra width of the blades compared to 'normal' blades takes a couple of shaves to get used to.

The triangular cross section of the handle is somewhat odd but after a couple of shaves I seemed to forget about it.

The head of the Cobra is designed to take Feather and Kai blades with a large centre rectangular cut out, the razor having three rectangular studs the centre one being a large one, thus the Feather light blades with the small centre cut out were never intended to be used with this razor although strangely they will fit (after a fashion) but I did not use one as I was unhappy with it. I understand that there may be a later model of the original Cobra made with a slightly different head that may take the light blades.

I found the Cobra easy to use but unforgiving in terms of too much pressure or inattention, letting ones mind wander during the shave seemed to invite a weeper or two or even a nick.

The Feather blades I used, both the Proguard and the Professional, are without question the sharpest razor blades of any type or make I have ever used, only the old Gillette Twinjector blades (long obsolete) come anywhere close. The price you pay for this keenness, at least on my face is soreness if you are not spot on with your technique and lather, I avoided any soreness but felt every shave was at the limit of my faces tolerance.

In terms of closeness these are the closest shaves I have ever had with any razor or blade combination and the longest lasting, a morning shave lasts well into the evening!

If you have a super dense quick growing 'bluebeard' and always get a three four or five O'clock shadow this razor will certainly solve your problems.

Whilst this razor is not for me it would be (IMHO) the ultimate shaving tool for somebody who fitted the category above, for most mortal men, certainly me, it is a little too much.

Very many thanks to you Rob for this loan I have learned a lot about the razor and especially the blades and confirmed what I already knew that my face seems better suited to a less sharp blade.

Regards
Dick.

DSC05788.JPG

Back
Top Bottom