S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

Hi I added a third link, this may help.

Basically old SE razors like the 1912 razors used thicker carbon blades with thicker spines, modern SE blades are thinner. The result is that a modern SE blades sits at a slightly different angle in the razor due to its reduced thickness, by using a shim as detailed here: http://www.razors.click/Shimming/ returns the geometry of the new blade in the old razor to be more like that of an old blade in the old razor.

@riverrun and @Fergiebilly did I get that right?

Thanks for your patience! I loowed into it and now I get it... the third link really helped.

Regards

Mark

Monday

Somersets oil as a preshave
Nanny's Ice and a Slice Soap
Muhle small Synthetic Sivertip
Cobra Classic with Feather Superpro (#7)
Alum Block
Vifrex dopo barba mixed with Osage Rub
Brut Alaska AS

Decided to have a blast of Menthol today. Two passes only due to the sun yesterday...but still 'only a whisker' off
BBS.

Morning gents,

Saturdays shave report below and my 18th straight shave. I'm going to keep mentioning what number it is so that I can keep track of how many I've had :D

I had over a weeks growth after a very busy week and was desperate to get rid of it.

The Maesto is a 2 band finest and is another new addition to the den, but it is very similar to my horn 2 band finest. I did ask for a bulb but ended up with more of a fan and with a short loft. I actually really enjoyed the brush, but as I said, it's a similar spec to the horn which is a shame.

Lathered up with ATG LE Bleu 1912 which was lovely as always. Actually used a little too much water so lather was flying about the place, took me a while to stabilise it but got there in the end!

The shave was good. One pass with the MW knocked most of the stubble down, still a little patchy and wanting to get a final shave in with the Brass General, I completed the second pass with the latter.

The end result was smooth, not the closest or the best finish,but acceptable, with no irritation or nicks.

I'll quickly surmise my thoughts on the Brass General;

It's a nice weight and balance. It shaves smoothly. If you like patina and a rough around the edge finish you'll like this. The metallic smell of the brass was enough to put me off, I could smell it through the soap and that was a turn off for me. A lovely razor, but not one I'll be adding to the den.

img_20170617_155446-01-jpeg.13615

image.jpg SOTD 19th June

Prep....Warm shower, olive oil soap.
Razor....Gem natural angle ,aka G Bar
Blade....Personna - Gem
Soap....OSP Neroli
Brush....Semouge OC
Post....BBA Post shave balm
Scent....Acqua Classica - Borsari

After all my lusting over the new Gem type razors yesterday I thought I would treat my face to a mild but very efficient shave with the natural angle razor with a new blade, I do like these blades and it has just reinforced my desire to purchase one of the well over due Gem type razors that are about to hit the market. A great shave leaving me as smooth as I require.
Finnishing off with a good spray of Acqua Classica, fitting for another hot day.

Have a great day people........:)

Last edited:
Morning gents,

Saturdays shave report below and my 18th straight shave. I'm going to keep mentioning what number it is so that I can keep track of how many I've had :D

I had over a weeks growth after a very busy week and was desperate to get rid of it.

The Maesto is a 2 band finest and is another new addition to the den, but it is very similar to my horn 2 band finest. I did ask for a bulb but ended up with more of a fan and with a short loft. I actually really enjoyed the brush, but as I said, it's a similar spec to the horn which is a shame.

Lathered up with ATG LE Bleu 1912 which was lovely as always. Actually used a little too much water so lather was flying about the place, took me a while to stabilise it but got there in the end!

The shave was good. One pass with the MW knocked most of the stubble down, still a little patchy and wanting to get a final shave in with the Brass General, I completed the second pass with the latter.

The end result was smooth, not the closest or the best finish,but acceptable, with no irritation or nicks.

I'll quickly surmise my thoughts on the Brass General;

It's a nice weight and balance. It shaves smoothly. If you like patina and a rough around the edge finish you'll like this. The metallic smell of the brass was enough to put me off, I could smell it through the soap and that was a turn off for me. A lovely razor, but not one I'll be adding to the den.

img_20170617_155446-01-jpeg.13615

Greetings All,

Monday shave.

Three days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa white pre-share
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Shark (Super Chrome) Razor
Brush:Molten Brown Shaving Brush

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum, then a shower, followed by Proraso aftershave lotion (green) and Proraso post shave cream (white)

New blade this morning – Shark blade which I found to be sharp and comfortable to use. The XXX lathered superbly well, so had 3 passes (no need for pick-ups) and BBS. A little irritation on the neck (usual place) which I think I over-shaved – need to remember light touch, light touch. . .

Vegetal Soap - Lilly Of The Valley
Proraso - Crema Pre Barba
Proraso - Sapone Da Barba (Shaving Cream)
Dr. Dittmar - 23mm Finest Badger
Face Lathering
GEM - Micromatic Open Comb
GEM - PTFE (2)
WTG, XTG and ATG
Allume Di Rocca Naturale
Proraso - Dopobarba

Oh dear...that is really not the daily safety razor for my father`son. Shaved with it last evening the first time after five years. After that morning second use, neck`s burning and one little cut, which I did not felt while shaving, underneath my bottom lip. Now I know why I did not use it for so long. But in it´s 1930 Art Deco design it is an eye-catcher in my showcase. ;):)

Today`s shave accombanied by some vintage Italian music.

Last edited:
Tried the Futur after a long while, hated the thing all over again. It shaves worse than a dull paint scraper even on the mildest setting. Head too big to get anywhere within the vicinity of the nose. I looked at the exposure on 1 and thought, this cannot be real.
I'd better have thrown my money out the window. It would have been put to better use.
Voskhod on its 2nd use, Semogue boar on Proraso red cream.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom