S.O.T.D. Sat 23rd Jan to Fri 30th Jan

27th January 2016

Bulldog Face Wash
Martin De Candre Fougère Shaving Soap
Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Face Lathered
Gillette Tech (Hybrid) & Eversharp Super Stainless (Vintage) (1)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_2897.JPG

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT
Pinaud Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic​

With a temporary hiatus from single edge shaving, I'm enjoying a quick run through some Gillette Techs that I treasure: the Hybrid, the Long Slot and a brass pre-War. Tonight, the Hybrid with thanks to @missingskin for offering it to me.

Steve also popped in a number of Ever Sharp Super Stainless blades which are vintage. Upon opening, I wondered just how sharp they might be as I could draw the blade across my skin and it didn't penetrate, a quick test that I use to gauge the sharpness of my single edge blades on a day by day basis ... but it was indeed sharp. Sharp and smooth. Single pass with the grain and with the Gillette slide, I got my usual daily good shave. Smooth and clean.

I'm also revisiting Martin De Candre after quite literally falling for quality French and Italian soap. It really is a classy soap. Thick, strong lather, highly overpaintable and those classically simple French ingredients. No fluff. Seriously good quality, a shave which left me wishing I had not been so quick to move my full sized products on. Damn!

So, first go shaving with a Gillette Hybrid Tech and I found it highly enjoyable. No drama, just a straight-up, quality shave as should be expected from an early Tech. As good as the regular '40s British Tech? I'll find out tomorrow ...

I like that Tech. Very sleek without the slots and looks well with that handle.

A decade later but not as good.

g7gCWNI.jpg

• EverReady 1924
• Hempel Spiral
• GEM SS PTFE (2)
• Barrister & Mann Rhapsody
• Plisson Pearly Gray Synth
• Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe

The '24 is still a rougher shave for me compared to the '14. It doesn't really look like it, but I can feel so much more blade on my face from this razor than I ever can from the 1914.

Neither of these are as good of a blade delivery mechanism as the OneBlade is though. I think I will be back to that pivoting, remarkable modern SE that simply shaves brilliantly and truly shines in those tough spots.

A decade later but not as good.

g7gCWNI.jpg

• EverReady 1924
• Hempel Spiral
• GEM SS PTFE (2)
• Barrister & Mann Rhapsody
• Plisson Pearly Gray Synth
• Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe

The '24 is still a rougher shave for me compared to the '14. It doesn't really look like it, but I can feel so much more blade on my face from this razor than I ever can from the 1914.

Neither of these are as good of a blade delivery mechanism as the OneBlade is though. I think I will be back to that pivoting, remarkable modern SE that simply shaves brilliantly and truly shines in those tough spots.
But they look really good with those beautiful handles. I really fancy converting a 1914 now I have seen Yours.

Fri 29th January.
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Tabac Stick
PAL Adjustable
Schick S/S [ 3 ]
Alum Rub / Tabac A/S

Stepped up the razor a bit, by increase of aggression from a mid point to L + 1 for cheeks & neck, the back to mid point setting for lips and chin . After Two Passes all was done and dusted , and not only was the shave comfortable , but the finish was great. Wont use the phrase Dolphin Smooth , as I have not stroked one !

IMG_0289.jpg

Last edited:
Iwa2AGNh.jpg

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Special Edition Soap
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (1)
Post #1: Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream
Post #2: Anthony After Shave Balm
Post #3: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser
Scent: Chergui by Serge Lutens

A lovely smooth shave all around

29-1-16

Hot shower
SV MdS
Vulfix 404
G Bar SE
Gem blades
Bay Rum AS
Nivea Balm
Man Cobalt EDT

Good shave, first with an SE, not as different as I imagined it would be.

Prep : Pre shave Proraso green
Soap: Proraso green
Brush: Stirling Kong
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge (3)
Post #1: Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Post #2: Proraso green After Shave
Post #3: Proraso white aftser shave balm

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon oil
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary (SAW)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adj @7
Blade: Schick Injector Twin (1)
After: WH, Floid Black AS, Limes Skin Food

First time using SV 70th Anniversary soap and much prefer it over the Felce Aromatica version. Can't say that I can actually smell the scent though, very subtle. I'm thinking that SV is suffering from the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome and I feel like that little boy pointing at the soap and crying "But it isn't wearing any scent at all!". Post shaving skin feels a bit taut and dried up but overall an enjoyable first experience of this soap.

Bring on the weekend, yay!

e6e55901-4d23-458c-9084-c345aec693b8_zpsdf0fp4av.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom